Will Economy Effect Scary Industry...Read This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Economy Effect Scary Industry...Read This

I'm sure everyone is worried that the downturn in the ecomony, the 700 billion bailout, high fuel prices will effect our scary inustry...here is one article about that issue... read on. Larry

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...IZ01/309290021
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

As A Retailer

With 4 costume/party shops I will say our sales are already off the charts. Last year Santas Closet (my biggest store 9000sqft in my building I had built to look like a castle) was a little tougher. I had this nasty company called Halloween Express thought they would open up in town and kill me. What did I do? I droped my prices to wholesale cost. What happened I lived they were ran out of town!!!!!! Having a little extra cash allowed me to do that LMAO

Anyway the phones are ringing and people are renting earlier than I can remember in several years!!!!! Shane and its good riddance Halloween Express Shane this time!!!
    Last edited by graystone; 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Within the next few hours, we will have officially sold-out in advance for this coming Saturday night ... and I've been pleasantly surprised to see how busy the local halloween stores already are ... so I would say that it's going to be a great year for Halloween and Haunts in general, as long as mother nature co-operates.

Rawk.
      Scott Simmons
      The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
      http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

I really dont think that we will be hit too hard by this. Maybe a little bit in some small towns, but overall I really dont see this killing a bunch of haunters on sales.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Here's my theory... it will destroy YEAR ROUND HAUNTS!!!

My logic... most of us are a seasonal attraction, and people KNOW they can ONLY experience what we have in that short amount of time. So, put yourself in there shoes...

Year round haunt that we can see anytime... OR, this haunt that's only open from late Sept. through October? Hmmmm..... seasonal haunt for me!

More people will flock to the attractions they can only see once a year than one they can go to all year, I predict that they won't even go to the year round at all and just settle with the seasonal haunt!

Just a theory. -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I really dont think that we will be hit too hard by this. Maybe a little bit in some small towns, but overall I really dont see this killing a bunch of haunters on sales.
            Brad Bowen
            Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
            www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Ravens Grin is year round.

People sure don't have to get into their car and drive for a couple of hours to get here, but then they never have HAD to come here.
              This is why I have a user-friendly tour that still stimulates and engages the minds and bodies of those ticket holders here.
              This place is FUN!
              I think the FUN carrys the day.
              I figured out from day-one here that almost nobody would drive 2 hours to see me just chase them around with a chainsaw for ten minutes.
              Alot more than that happens here, sure it requires alot of effort but then digging ditches in the hot sun with a shovel is no fun either!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I think the everyday lives of the American public are going to suffer whether there is a bailout or not.

BUT, any time there is an economic downturn, there are three things that go up: consumption of alcohol; domestic violence; and diversional activities (usually movies).

I think the haunt industry will be fine.

Like Tyler, though, I wonder about the year-round attractions.

Sarah
                Sarah Meier
                Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                "Words they remember you by"

Comment

There is a local haunted on I-70 that had to close down mainly too high cost of fuel. They also ran a campground and a paintball field as well. But ran a fairly popular haunt in the fall months. They had been doing it for about or over ten years. They said the fuel prices hurt there business in the summer so bad they had to shut down everything and there not going to be able to do the haunt this year. It will affect many in different ways. People wont be traveling as far or to as many Im affraid.
                  Damon
                  Damon Carson

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
                    There is a local haunted on I-70 that had to close down mainly too high cost of fuel. They also ran a campground and a paintball field as well. But ran a fairly popular haunt in the fall months. They had been doing it for about or over ten years. They said the fuel prices hurt there business in the summer so bad they had to shut down everything and there not going to be able to do the haunt this year. It will affect many in different ways. People wont be traveling as far or to as many Im affraid.
                    Damon

And it could be that the industry gets affected in ways we couldn't have foreseen.

Sarah
                    Sarah Meier

Comment

This Just In . . .

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...9/daily15.html

Y'all might want to pay particular attention to what the different age groups will be paying on average this year.

Sarah
                      Sarah Meier

Comment

Haunts are basically the same as sporting events.

No matter how tight things are if people want to go they'll find a way.

Comment

Scott Morris (Morris Costumes) say this will be a phenomenal Halloween for attractions, as well as shops too.

Good Luck

KDaddy
                          Hauntus Emeritus
                          Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
                          Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

Working...
                          X