What scares you most about clowns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clown Mechanics

There are two types of people in this world... those afraid of clowns and those not. I think that the fear of clowns starts at a very young age for one reason or another and that gives you some leverage to exploit. Allow me to explain... Small creepy clowns are useful in a haunt, sure, but if you really want to tap into that primal fear, make your clown characters/props taller that most people. That will make them have to look up to you, casting them back subconsciously to their childhood, looking up to this terrifying image before them. Squeezing every ounce of scary out of any character isn't difficult if you stop and think about WHY its scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post
      Did you have a more "classic" expectation?
      No. I thought it was a good performance it just didn't remind me of how the current comic Joker is. It seemed like a watered down version of how truly crazy and scary the Joker is. I am a pretty big Batman fan. Nontheless, I thought it was a good performance just not how I still picture the Joker to be. The true "Classic" Joker wasn't even anything like the 60's tv show portrayed. That Joker was a joke and not like the original or current. I thought the Jack Nicholson Joker was even a WORSE performance.
      Jared Layman

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
        No. I thought it was a good performance it just didn't remind me of how the current comic Joker is. It seemed like a watered down version of how truly crazy and scary the Joker is. I am a pretty big Batman fan. Nontheless, I thought it was a good performance just not how I still picture the Joker to be. The true "Classic" Joker wasn't even anything like the 60's tv show portrayed. That Joker was a joke and not like the original or current. I thought the Jack Nicholson Joker was even a WORSE performance.
        I think many of us are at a loss for how the comic-book Joker is or ever was, simply because of a lack of familiarity with the comics of today or "yesteryear." Of course you have your fans, such as yourself, but most of us are just schlepping along, curious to see how the next guy will portray the Nutcase-That-Is-Called-The-Joker.

Prior to the Tim Burton movie with the Penguin, my last recollection of Batman or any of his enemies was what I saw in the theaters. Just before the movie would start ("Star Wars," in this case), they would show cartoons and Batman episodes. (Those must have been the 60's versions you're talking about.) If you're near my age, I'm sure you remember. When the Tim Burton movies came out, I was like, "What?! This is odd!" Someone had to explain it to me that the original Batman and Co. was not like what I had grown up with. Shocker!

As for Jack Nicholson's character/portrayal, I was rather ambivalent, having no real "control" to compare against. Have to say, though, that I thought he did a great job of portraying anger about what had happened to him (the Joker).
        Sarah Meier
        Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
        "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Im sorry I dont find clowns scary in the least. The best one is on the movie It.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

Its fine Damon, i wasn't expecting anyone here to have anyfear of clowns. I was more probing the waters for what everyone thinks scares the customers.
            And yes Tim Curry did excellant. They said that everyone avoided him after scenes because he gave them the heebe geebes.

Comment

Clowns dont freak me out at all, but they can be entertaining at a haunt if they are done with thought. NO, all guest will not be afraid of clowns but thats when they need to be crazy and crafty. Also, they need a fast tounge or they will look like a bunch of idiots. Personally I like to play a clown every now and then!!!

Comment

I have had some clowns who weren't thinking.

"Do you have clowns in there?"
                And here they stand less than ten feet away from this person right around the corner of the house, where they are buying their tickets. I guess then though I can honestly tell then," No, no clowns are in the house."
                Sometimes cigarette breaks can work for the owner.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I pride myself on being quick witted as believe it or not i am a jackass. And its fun to disarm patrons at the nightclub with quick responses. So i get plenty of practice. I mean if i can't make them atleast break down and cry, i enjoy making them laugh with quick and usually harsh comments.

Comment

Cliche works

Ok yes i believe clowns are cliche but do they work....yes. I think that if you're going to do a clown then make it different at all costs. We have a guy that does a clown that about 6'3" and his height really works for it, we have clowns with hooks and chains, and clowns with severed heads that spit blood and they work.

Cliche yes, most people expect them to be in a haunt, and most people are so terrified of them that thats all they can stammer in the Que line is "i dont know what im going to do when i see the clowns". Most of the people iv known who do a clowhn have great fun with it and do a great job.

OdetteDespairr
                    Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
                    “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Most characters in haunted houses are a cliche of some form; whether it be a mental patient, doctor, vampire, zombie, or clown. However these cliches exist because they do still work for the most part. Everyone has different fears, and for those that are terrified of clowns, setting foot into a fun house is their worst nightmare. For those who aren't phased by clowns, I'm sure they will encounter some character that will unnerve them. Clowns leave plenty of room for interpretation so it is possible to keep the character fresh and different for the customers.
                      Katie Lane
                      Partner/VP
                      Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                      sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Would it be to instense to have a baby on a noose? My cousin pitched the idea for a prop, for my clown character. But im not so sure.

Comment

The clowns that scare me are the ones with the huge teeth. They just freak me out.

In my hayride that I'm doing next Halloween, we're having a clown scene that brings chainsaws into the picture. I think Clowns and chainsaws are an ultimate scare.
                          Don't throw a baby at anything. Even a Burgalar

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
                            Would it be to instense to have a baby on a noose? My cousin pitched the idea for a prop, for my clown character. But im not so sure.
                            I think that depends on your location and how much patrons may complain (and whether the owners care if there are complaints). I've done acts involving dead babies/baby parts and some places are fine with it and other haunts consider it too taboo for their clientel.
                            Katie Lane
                            Partner/VP
                            Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                            sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Yeah, i had a bit where i said "They Took my baby! Have you seen my baby!? Course' you havnt i crushed its head with a brick!" a split personality phsyco. I got a few complaints but my boss said i could keep it because "I like the baby scare, so just watch it, if they are sensitive back of on the baby"
                              Anyway, i agree on the cliche thing, if it didnt work out so well then they wouldnt be cliches.

Comment

Doc,
                                I think that unless you have a really realistic baby prop, then it will end up being a doll in a noose to the eyes of the public.
                                Personally I stay away from babies, its to cheap of a scare to count, threatening mothers about babies is about as fun as threatening two year olds. Its hitting them where they are weakest.
                                If you back up and look at the bit and line, there is not anything frightening about it. It does not threaten the people you are talking to it threatens you and things you hold (or should hold) dear. It also does not make you seem dangerous as you pick on babies, they all know they are tougher than babies. The effect you are going for is disgust, not doubt you achieve it, but there are stronger reactions to get from your limited time with them.
                                This is just my opinion and it is not a criticism, just an observation. Had you not asked for advice on the prop I never would have given it.
                                Allen H
                                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                                X