No announcement yet.

What scares you most about clowns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1989 Oldsmobile Spookmobile with big mouth, teeth, tongue and moving arms across the hood, with a shark fin on the roof was called the "Car from the movie "Jeepers Creepers" by a kid....not too close to the 1949 truck used in the movie.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I have thought about haunted houses way to much, and I have a theory on Clowns. I will also state that they are way overdone, they have been a haunt crutch for a long time. The reason I think they scare people is subconscious. a form of genetic fear, Brightly colored animals are showing off that they are either dangerous or poisonous. Snakes and insects are often vibrantly colored for that reason. Also Bright colors are used to signify caution or danger all the time bright orange highway cones, big red fire trucks (so folks get out of the way) So why wouldn't it be unsettling for someone to paint their skin in bright colors?
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Very Good Ideas, Allen!

The other most painfully obvious reason(s) would be simply who would paint their face in the first place? Someone who wanted to do a crime and not be recognised or a comando about to take your life?
        Or just a total nutcase who might be doing who knows what?
        When the Romans met the Englanders in battle they painted their naked bodies blue, hence the term "Briton".
        So as a Roman soldier you had been around the known world, seen all kinds of looking humans...then here come a bunch of blue-skinned crazed creatures!!!
        "Drizzle, drazzle drome, time for this one to run home!"
        Maybe the term "Shock Value" could sum it all up?
        Distract your opponent for a quick second or two and the victory may swing the other direction.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

From a customer's perspective . . .

Chiming in a little late here, but I think the topic is still pertinent.

To me, it's just like Jim and Allen say: who on Earth would want/need to paint their faces? The person who is painting his face is out to deceive, for whatever reason.

The ones that creep me out the most are the ones that pretend to be "nice." Think about it: why paint a big red smile on your face when you could just smile?!

If a haunted house could leverage that deception, then all the better. I think it defeats the purpose of deception to have a scary-faced clown. Painting a scary face does exaggerate the menace, though, I suppose.

For those haunts that use guides, it might be cool to have a "sweet" clown take the patrons through the haunt, who then turns on them near the end. The patrons would have to wonder whether this guy was gonna freak. Nerve-wracking!

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
          The other most painfully obvious reason(s) would be simply who would paint their face in the first place? Someone who wanted to do a crime and not be recognised or a comando about to take your life?
          Or just a total nutcase who might be doing who knows what?
          When the Romans met the Englanders in battle they painted their naked bodies blue, hence the term "Briton".
          So as a Roman soldier you had been around the known world, seen all kinds of looking humans...then here come a bunch of blue-skinned crazed creatures!!!
          "Drizzle, drazzle drome, time for this one to run home!"
          Maybe the term "Shock Value" could sum it all up?
          Distract your opponent for a quick second or two and the victory may swing the other direction.
          Sarah Meier
          Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
          "Words they remember you by"

Comment

I do that frequently. And believe it or not i read a thesis on fear by my uncle the other day. Who was writing it for his Phd in phsycology. He conducted an experiment with a child, a baby. I am not sure on the details as i read it within the month. Um yeah it turns out it is NOT genetic. The only fear that people have when they are born is fear of loud noises, and the dark. Which isnt essentially fear of the dark its fear of the unknown. They discovered that everything else is a "learned" fear. The learned fear was for many people Tim Curry in Stephen Kings IT. Also John Wayne Gacy helped contribute to this "learned" fear of clowns. People who are scared of spiders might have had a traumatic experience with one as a child. Usually its movies that teach people these fears, but knowing someone who is attacked by a snake or a wolf or something can creat a learned fear of these animals.
            But yeah thats my character, total split personality, was all cheerfull when i first met them (I am a rover so i always meet groups atleast twice...its a massive haunt) then the next time they see me "Oh its that cool clown..he aint scary!" then i turn on them in an instant. But i also agree with Jim and Allen that who needs to paint their face? They automatically can stir suspicion. But thanks for your post even though it is a little late!
            -Dr. G.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
              I do that frequently. And believe it or not i read a thesis on fear by my uncle the other day. Who was writing it for his Phd in phsycology. He conducted an experiment with a child, a baby. I am not sure on the details as i read it within the month. Um yeah it turns out it is NOT genetic. The only fear that people have when they are born is fear of loud noises, and the dark. Which isnt essentially fear of the dark its fear of the unknown. They discovered that everything else is a "learned" fear. The learned fear was for many people Tim Curry in Stephen Kings IT. Also John Wayne Gacy helped contribute to this "learned" fear of clowns. People who are scared of spiders might have had a traumatic experience with one as a child. Usually its movies that teach people these fears, but knowing someone who is attacked by a snake or a wolf or something can creat a learned fear of these animals.
              But yeah thats my character, total split personality, was all cheerfull when i first met them (I am a rover so i always meet groups atleast twice...its a massive haunt) then the next time they see me "Oh its that cool clown..he aint scary!" then i turn on them in an instant. But i also agree with Jim and Allen that who needs to paint their face? They automatically can stir suspicion. But thanks for your post even though it is a little late!
              -Dr. G.

If it's a learned fear, what makes kids afraid of Santa Claus for the first time? The thought of a stranger holding them, gaining control? Hmm. Personally, I know I've distrusted clowns as long as I have memory. Fascinating!
              Sarah Meier

Comment

Santa & Clowns

Both obscure their facial features. ("Who is behind that paint or beard?)
                "Danger-Stranger?"
                I think people who afraid of spiders are that way because once they first see a spider walking they might subconsciously know they are snarter than humans...they must be, could your brain co-ordinate 8 legs?
                See?
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I must say i feel bad. Because honestly because of the clown maze section i belive we "teach" a lot of new people to be scared of clowns. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
                    I must say i feel bad. Because honestly because of the clown maze section i belive we "teach" a lot of new people to be scared of clowns. Haha

And why shouldn't they be afraid of clowns? LOL
                    Sarah Meier

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                      Both obscure their facial features. ("Who is behind that paint or beard?)
                      "Danger-Stranger?"
                      Like Dr. G said, "Fear of the unknown"! Boo!

I think people who afraid of spiders are that way because once they first see a spider walking they might subconsciously know they are snarter than humans...they must be, could your brain co-ordinate 8 legs?
                      See?
                      I would gladly exchange some intelligence for a few more limbs to get things done!
                      Sarah Meier

Comment

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post

I would gladly exchange some intelligence for a few more limbs to get things done!
                        Wish i could, but i gotta hold on to all the intelligence i can! But i suppose i could sacrifice some, gotta make room for those voices in mah head right? Hahah but yeah there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being afraid of clowns. But sometimes i think i should feel bad...but the truth is i really dont. Hahaha

Comment

Dr. Giggles,
                          Perhaps I can answer your question (at least from my perception). On Halloween, everyone dresses in character, whether it be a devil or zombie or witch or even a clown, so that's probably not that big of a deal. But clowns aren't just on Halloween. You could see a clown anytime of year at a circus, a parade, a festival, a county fair, a zoo, or wherever. THAT'S CREEPY TO ME. Questions emerge...Why disguise yourself? What are you trying to hide? Who's really behind all that paint? What's with the painted on smile? What's your REAL expression like...Could there be an evil grimace under all that paint? All these answers are left unanswered and unknown. People are afraid of the unknown.

Personally, clowns freak me out. Especially ones that don't talk, but maybe jut appear out of nowhere. There's something not right about that. Okay now I'm giving myself the heebee geebees.

Peace out,
                          Patti
                          Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                          www.HauntWorld.com
                          www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                          www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com
                          It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Clowns, I dont see it?

Who could be scared of Chester??
                            Attached Files
                            Steve

Waken Productions
                            www.wakenproductions.com
                            http://wakenproductions.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nothing scares me about clowns. As far as the Joker is concerned, the voice Heath Ledger did is never what I picture the Joker's voice to sound like or even how I picture the Joker to act.
                              Jared Layman

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
                                Nothing scares me about clowns. As far as the Joker is concerned, the voice Heath Ledger did is never what I picture the Joker's voice to sound like or even how I picture the Joker to act.
                                Did you have a more "classic" expectation?
                                Sarah Meier

Comment

Working...
                                X