Our review was published....wow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our review was published....wow...

Well the Journal Gazette (the largest newspaper in the area) finally released their review of us....just wow....its all about clowns...which we hardly have lol.....oh well lol here it is what do you guys think....

The Haunted Hotel

Where: 515 N. Jefferson St. (second floor), Huntington

When: Today through Nov. 1

Hours: 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays; 7 to 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays

Cost: $9 (fast pass ticket is $13)

Time to go through: 20 minutes

Information: www.hauntedhuntington.comCoroner's report: Some clowns are nice, and some clowns seem sort of mean. And some clowns start out nice and then turn mean.

For example, they'll make you a balloon animal, but then they'll make you a balloon subpoena.

The clowns at the Haunted Hotel start out mean and then turn meaner. Especially if you try to escape before the climactic portion of the haunt, which involves "the walls (closing) in on you," says matre d' hotel and matre d' Hades Brett Molitor.

How bad is that final section? Imagine if Luke Skywalker had dialed up C-3PO with the intention of telling him to "Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level" and his call had gone directly into voice mail.

Should you decide to cut and run, "one of the clowns will announce that someone wants to make use of 'the chicken door,' " Molitor says. "Then they'll wave a rubber chicken at them and throw it at them."

Clowns that brandish chickens.

Scornful clowns.

Sardonic chickens.

Tough call.

Wow. Bad writer.

Sorry to say I think that will hurt you. It doesn't make you sound very scary or professional.

Comment

While the write-up itself was lousy, I didn't get the impression that the writer didn't like the attraction. It looks to me like the writer didn't know what to write about.

Sarah
      Sarah Meier
      Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
      "Words they remember you by"

Comment

I KNOW! all of um are like that its insane everything was a dis on the economy....and for a lack of what to write about how about the actor who has 13 yrs of expierience and is only 17 (moi lol) or the other 28 rooms in the haunt that arent clowns...plus....we dont publicize our clowns (come on why would clowns be in a hotel...cause they had rooms here when it burned lol) so our major psych is gone lol oh well....i only talked to her for like an hr after we were done so god knows i didnt give her PLENTY of material lol

Comment

The writing in that review was horrible! You say that person is employed by the largest paper in your area? Wow.

I understand we all get good and bad reviews...but a poorly written one seems like it might hurt more than a bad one.
          www.mindseizure.com
          www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

At Least...

The article mentioned the pertineint facts about tickets and hours, I didn't even get those a couple of times.
            A contract had been signed with "Travel sick" to mention the name of my house at least theree times and all I got was something like:"This crazy guy named Jim has this strange house in northern Illinois."
            No "Ravens Grin Inn" , no web site, no phone number , not even that I am open to the public for tours every night.
            Of course making me seem to be so mysterious and nuts makes them "finding" me all the more incredible doesn't it?
            "Incredible" doesn't go too far towards paying any bills though.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by SpFXChic View Post
              The writing in that review was horrible! You say that person is employed by the largest paper in your area? Wow.

I understand we all get good and bad reviews...but a poorly written one seems like it might hurt more than a bad one.
              Yeah, the thing about comparing the final section to voicemail was pretty pathetic. They could have done a LOT better with this.
              Brad Bowen
              Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Steve Penhollow is a ...

The writer does not visit the Haunted Hotel. Never has.

He contacts me each year and uses very little of what I tell him for his article. If you read ALL the house reviews he does, you will find that most of them are B.S.

I have read his articles every Sunday for the last year and have noticed his style is to give decent press to anything he feels falls into the theatre or arts. Anything else gets panned with B.S. that most of the time is rambling nonsense.

Supposedly he did visit the Haunted Cave.

I did not get to read that artile as my paper never showed up on the porch that Sunday and we have been extremely busy. I do plan on going to the library to read it.

When I met with the ad girls from the Ft Wayne Journal Gazette, I told them of my concern of B.S. articles every year by Penhollow. They didn't promise anything.

The photographer showed up on media night, our dress rehearsal night. She spent almost two hours inside taking pictures. She was in awe when she came out. Her remark was, "Your people ACT! I have been to many haunted houses and this is the only one that I have seen acting." I asked her to try to write the article for Penhollow if she could.

As Damien has said, we didn't get any accuracy in the article. The only thing he did get was the idea the walls would close in on you. The final part has been very good. One girl came crawling out, yes crawling, last week and stood up, raised her arms in the air and proclaimed it was the best haunted house she had ever been to. I asked her where she was from and she said she had just moved to the Ft Wayne are from Indianapolis. All the houses she had been to were in Indy.

Thankfully many people don't take him seriously as we have had record attendance again this year with many coming from 100+ miles away.

And the internet is how they found us!!
                Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Maybe next year you shouldn't take his call. No publicity would probably be better than that review.

Comment

eek brett found me lol i swear i haven't done anything bad yet!

Comment

Scary Articles!!

A few years ago an elderly writer from a bigger newspaper took a Sunday afternoon tour of my house, The Ravens Grin Inn (Think= "Andy Rooney".)
                      This man has a regular column in that paper and he can be very strange and sort of "entertaining"(Think _ 75 yr. old dailey dope smoker?)
                      I have a brick wall, made from real bricks that is a secret door, this guy actually wrote (some people need alot of "attention", I guess?) that I rammed his head into the bricks, the wall exploded and then , what? Rebuilt itself again?
                      After my wife and I saw this in print I really wanted him to make a second visit so I could demonstrate what it would REALLY be like to get his feeble old cranium rammed into that wall!
                      Being real bricks the door does have the resisitence when pushed, enough to fool most people into thinking it is not a door, plenty of weight to impress a living, flesh-covered skull. (Or maybe enough to depress!)" De-Press", this would mean voiding the printed story wouldn't it?
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                      X