Sponsors/legal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsors/legal question

Does anyone know a good way to try to get a sponsor?
    Or someone who will sponsor a haunted house, or just a good, fast way to make money?
    I was thinking of some type of fundraiser like selling baked goods, or something cheesy like that, but I don't know how that'd really go over?

And my other question is;
    I use my house every year to put on my haunted house, and I don't know if it is against any law to charge people admission, or if I set up a booth outside and sold water or glow necklaces or something, is that illegal?
    Brad
    http://www.bradlowentertainment.com

Hi, Brad

There is another thread going right now that might answer some of your sponsorship questions. Scroll down the "Professional Haunted House Chat ONLY" screen, and you should see it.

Best,
    Sarah
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Making money

Check with your city/town. Most have web sites available online with anything from a little bit of 'token' and/or contact information to enough information to fill an encyclopedia. Checking online keeps you anonymous in case you're in an area where they issue citations first and ask questions later.

If you sell tickets for your haunt, that immediately plunges you into the realm of being a commercial enterprise. Now the rules change. There are regulatory requirements which have to be met by commercial haunts which may include building materials that can or cannot be used, fire exits (even if it's an outdoor maze) and possibly other city/local codes which vary from one area to another. I have a problem with my local officials making up their own set of rules which go above and beyond what is actually required by state law.

With sponsors, you need to get them early. Write up a description of what you have, include photos from past years if you have them, point out your goals, objectives and how they'll benefit from sponsoring your haunt. It would have to look similar to a business plan but maybe not as formal. If you're planning to donate some of your admission money to area charities, include that in your presentation as well. Companies are more likely to support home haunters if you have a high turn out which gives them good exposure to potential market share and especially if you're doing the charity thing.

Steve...
      UptownHaunts@aol.com

"Follow the Bloody Brick Road to Nightmare Village"

Comment

I've heard you can't charge admission without a business license and all the other regulations, but some can work around that by asking for donations (so it's technically free).
        www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
        X