Creating your own not for profit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating your own not for profit

I think in the next year or two, my Haunted Hospital will out grow the ability of our local youth club to support it with help, volunteers, etc.

I am considering setting up my own not for profit and then offering each night we are open to a diffent charity. Basically, to qualify, you must provide 10 people on 2 different work nights to help set up the attraction, and then 50 actors on one of the open nights. Then the profits will be divided evenly between the groups involved.

This would give me multiple avenues to recruit actors, as well as multiple avenues to sell pre-sale tickets. I would throw in an extra $1 for every pre-sale ticket sold by your group.

Finally, now the big step for me. Can I set this up so that I am an employee of the not for profit and draw a salary from it?

You should, of course, seek the advice of a lawyer regarding this, but the short answer is "yes". You can draw a salary. The public often mistakenly assumes that people working for "Not For Profit" organizations are all volunteers. Sometimes this is the case, but there are also people working for NFP organizations who draw salaries of $100k+ a year.

Comment

Working...
    X