Image theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image theft

So I just happened to find a scan of the ticket stub from a near-by haunt (the "haunted conneaut" event at Conneaut Lake Park) -- and darn if it doesn't look kind of familiar...

One of the following is a photo of their ticket stub ... and one is a photo of last year's most popular character at The ScareHouse that was taken for the local newspaper .... see if you can spot the subtle (cough) similarity...

Scott Simmons
    The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
    http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

It seems to be a recurring theme today. I'm not sure how much one can do about this though. You're free to call up the company and let them know your displeasure, but in the U.S., unless you've registered the work with the copyright office, your potential for filing a lawsuit is pretty slim. Damages would not likely justify expenses.

That being said, if there is any way that I can help with this, let me know. As I said in the stolen Web site post, I've handled some 700 cases of online plagiarism. If the picture is on the Web somewhere and you want it removed, it can be arranged.

Perhaps I should see about doing a primer on copyright law for the haunt industry. What you can do to protect your work, how not to get in trouble, etc. I'm not a lawyer, but I am a consultant in this area.

Oh, and yes, I think it is a very slimy thing to do. Just to be clear
    Bernie Baxter's Traveling Sideshow - New Orleans, LA

Berniebaxter.com

Comment

Scott, do you recall what kind of release you signed with the newspaper?

Sarah
      Sarah Meier
      Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
      "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Looks as if it might have been the BOAS release.
        (Bend Over and Spread'm)
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I have brought this issue up to the local newspaper (the rightful holder of the copyright I believe) so we'll see what happens.

First it was the guys passing out flyers for their event in our lobby, now it's someone using our characters in their marketing ... how obnoxious can you get?

I haven't heard a peep from the producers of the actual event, yet.
          Scott Simmons

Comment

2 years ago I stumbled upon a haunts web site that had photos of our haunted house listed on a page that stated pics from our past haunts. How crappy of a haunt must this have been to show pics from another haunted house and claim it as their own? Plus, they were playing our theme song on their main page. Sad and pathetic.

Every year some haunt steals from me. Several have used my "warning" disclaimer word for word. I come up with a haunt that offers money back, the next year several haunts do the same. I offer a Discount Preview Weekend they copy it. Then let's not forget the people who have used our haunts name. There is Deadly Intentions Haunted Yard and Deadly Intentions Haunted Field. The list goes on and on.

I used to get pissed off by this. Now I kinda find it flattering that they steal all my ideas.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
            Deadly Intentions Haunted House
            www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
            Last edited by Howie Slobber Erlich; 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM.
            1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Ok, it's now been confirmed that the image is on every single ticket given out at the event ... honestly, how did they not think I would find out about this?

Since no one from the event is answering my e-mails (which are now being cc'd to the newspaper's photo editors and my attorney) -- I don't know who is actually responsible for the theft. I also find myself wondering how far it goes ... I wonder if more of my character images are appearing within the park (or at other attractions affiliated with the people who produce this and other events)

Is it someone involved with Conneaut Lake Park? Or is it someone involved with the Canfield Scaregrounds (the group who actually created the event?) I'm sure looking forward to finding out ...
              Scott Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadProd View Post
                Ok, it's now been confirmed that the image is on every single ticket given out at the event ... honestly, how did they not think I would find out about this?

Since no one from the event is answering my e-mails (which are now being cc'd to the newspaper's photo editors and my attorney) -- I don't know who is actually responsible for the theft. I also find myself wondering how far it goes ... I wonder if more of my character images are appearing within the park (or at other attractions affiliated with the people who produce this and other events)

Is it someone involved with Conneaut Lake Park? Or is it someone involved with the Canfield Scaregrounds (the group who actually created the event?) I'm sure looking forward to finding out ...

I hope you'll let us know what your attorney says. I'm very interested.

Sarah
                Sarah Meier
                Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Working...
                X