Depreciation of Props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depreciation of Props

The poll on how much different haunts net made me think about a boring accounting item. (Sorry, I know that this isn't likely the kind of thing most on here like to talk about, especially in the best season of the year, but these kinds of details are important to me as I look into opening a haunt in 2010, giving me 2 years to learn the trade and gather info.)

How do you handle the depreciation of props and supplies? Obviously some things are just expenses, as they get used up during the year, but a lot of things I'd consider to be capital expenses. If I buy a $10,000 animatronic, I'd expect it to last a number of seasons.

So do haunts usually depreciate it all in one year? Do you use 3 or 5 year depreciation? This could have a beig difference in taxes if you are turning profits.
    sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Five year depreciation.
    Kevin
    MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Old thread, I know.

What all else do you (or your accountant) depreciate?
      I get props, office equipment, vehicles, etc.
      If you had a trailer haunt, would you depreciate the trailers as vehicles, or would they be considered a building? They are being highly modified.
      Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
      http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Working...
      X