making victoria era goggles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making victoria era goggles?

Greetings all! I am working on a pair of prop goggles for my character. My character is a mix between Willy Wonka and Hannibal Lecter meets H.P. Lovecraft (very suave yet still slightly loony). We've been working on a design for a victorian era set of goggles. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make 'um lol. The designs are pretty much like Ichabod Crane's set from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Any ideas on how to make it would be appreciated it. I want it to look premitive, but yet still have s light sense of moderninity (is that a word?). Thanks guys!

I've purchased a pair of welder's-style goggles from a Dollar General a couple years' ago for this purpose... they have that Gene Wilder/Young Frankenstein thing going, but in black plastic. You could certainly modify them into what you've described... as I've yet to do... : (
    "Mundus Vult Deipi Decepiatur... The world wants to be deceived, let it be deceived."

www.blacklightfright.com
    www.ftm2.com

Comment

I agree with the good doctor. I would find an existing pair, and modify them to match your ideal. A little copper or gold paint will do wonders for the frames, and you can embellish the shape with wire, small metal tubing, sculpy, maybe even small plastic or foam affectations.

If this doesn't get you where you want to go, try going to the gas station or dollar store and finding some cheapo, round, wire-rimmed sunglasses. Get a few pairs and cut the individual lenses/frames apart to make "monocles". From here, you can make your frame of brass tubing, brass strips and small screws. Depending on whether you want your various frames to swivel out of the way, you can make simple hinges by bending a thin strip of sheet brass(you can do this with needlenose pliers) into a "P" shape that will fit tightly around a 1/4 inch tube. Attach your lenses with gorilla glue, or with tiny screws. If you like, I might be able to draw up some basic diagrams of what I'm talking about. I hope some of this helps!

Comment

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php

Look at all the pages under "tactile"... lots of goggle-info & ideas
        missjayne
        Netherworld Haunted Attractions
        http://www.fearworld.com/

Comment

Working...
        X