Please beware of Erik Carlson and Gerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please beware of Erik Carlson and Gerry

:!: They are trying to sell goods that belong to me. These are unpaid items from Salem. Beware.
    Sincerely,
    John Denley
    ihaunt@aol.com
    Visit us at www.boneyardproductions.com

They sell everything that is belonging to you!? How did they do that? Did they buy things from you, or did they steal your items? I needed to know before it is too late for me to buy stuff like that from them! :evil:

Comment

Thanks for asking!!

In late July all the assets were signed over to me for nonpayment and now he is trying to sell things that will be considered stolen until a settlement is reached. Hold on to your money and enjoy the holiday!
      John Denley
      ihaunt@aol.com
      Visit us at www.boneyardproductions.com

Comment

I find it amazing that John Denley is listed as a newbie haunter
        Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bizub
          I find it amazing that John Denley is listed as a newbie haunter
          Hey, so are you! :P

But I know better.
          www.mindseizure.com
          www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Not a surprise!

Hey John, I hope you had a great season over at the new Spooky World! You post does not surprise me. I was walking downtown Salem mid October with a walking cane that I had made with a skull that shoots fire balls 20 feet into the air! Erik saw me with this, and approached me, asking me if I would come down and work for him for the last few weeks of October. (He did this not knowing that I was one of the people that he previously offered a job to in NY, for some month long project that he was taking on, but since he couldn’t give me any real details to what the compensation would be, I turned it down.) Anyway, to make a long story short, I have been out of the business for several years, and I was excited to get back in, no matter what the capacity. So I took some time off from work so I could go down and help him out during the busy days that were left in the season. All in all, I think I may have worked about 20 hours, not a big deal at all. So, I wait a few days after Halloween, since I know things are hectic right after the 31st, and I send him an email asking when he wants to get together to even up. To my surprise, I got no response. So I sent several other emails just in case they weren’t making it through, and I got no responses. Conveniently the only phone numbers he had given me were the haunt business numbers, which were never answered, and no messages were returned. Nice way to conduct business with someone that you approached and offered work to.

I know that his season was absolutely terrible, and he probably didn’t make any money what so ever, but is ignoring someone really the way to go about things. He could have offered me a credit to his online store, or at the very least, told me that he was really sorry, but he didn’t make any money and couldn’t afford to pay me, but I get ignored. I would have understood, and offered to try and help him prepare better for next year. But he completely ignored me, like a child who had done something wrong but was too afraid to fess up.

I think that this would be a good time to do a review of his haunts as well, since this all is kind of on topic. I took a tour of Terror on the Wharf. As I was approaching, the first thing I noticed was the lightning tubes in the front window (pretty much the only thing that grabs people’s attention and makes them say “lets check this place out”) were not working. Then as I was walking inside, the next thing I noticed was an eye sore of a thing hanging from the sign, which I realized was bubble machine, which was not working as well, just hanging there looking ugly and un professional. When I entered the lobby I noticed that they had made some minor changes to the displays, but it was mostly the same as it was 5 years ago when I was working there. The person at the register was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, and had their cell phone in their ear blabbing about what they were doing when they left work as they were collecting money for tickets. Once the tour started, I realized that there had been pretty much no changes since I had worked there years ago. The tour guide was about 17, and was wearing one of the generic $10 robes with no mask and no make up. I could barely hear what he was saying because he was almost whispering, but think I heard bits and pieces of the script I put together years ago. I was also surprised that last scene was not used. I think it was turned into a small gift shop, but we were just let out before we got to it. Now maybe my opinion doesn’t count because I have very high expectations, but the comments from everyone else on the tour were exactly what I was thinking, “that really sucked, and it says that’s supposed to be the scariest one of them all”, or “that’s it, it was only like 3 minutes, what a rip off”!

I didn’t get a chance to take a tour of the Edgar Allen Poe haunt as a consumer, but on one of the nights while I was working there, I went through bits and pieces of it, and realized that there were so many things that were not working it was almost a joke, lighting effects, scares that were not being run by anyone, it was almost sad. All of the actors were very young, and did not know the scripts, almost every tour they screwed up, and ended up making stupid jokes that were not funny, and completely ruined the illusion that you try to create in a haunt. I felt bad for everyone who was paying full ticket price for a chopped up tour. I was also very surprised to realize that on Halloween night, pretty much all of the actors were drunk, which is a little discouraging because most of them weren’t even of drinking age. At one point in the lobby, I watched a fight between a boyfriend and a girlfriend who worked there, in front of a group of customers getting ready to go on the tour. All this going on while Erik was standing out front with his girlfriend and her dog and a cup of coffee, watching the guys in the Ghostbusters costumes that he hired to try and bring more business in. The funny thing is though, that the people would take free pictures with the Ghostbusters, but then walk across the street and buy tickets for the Haunted Neighborhood (the competitor), but never came to buy tickets to his attractions. Overall, his attractions were terrible, which is a shame, because with some time and care, they could be really great.

Now normally I am not one to talk down about someone, but when you are putting in zero effort, you deserve zero credit. The competitors across the street, The Haunted Witch Village and their other attractions have grown and grown over the years, and are now Salem’s best. They put in the effort, and they do a really great job. Everything from entertainment outside, to highly detailed attractions, to pumping the street with fog, they provide enough entertainment to justify the ticket price. They provide a good product and it shows, when you look at their lines, and when you listen to the people as they leave their attractions, they have nothing but great things to say. The only time where there was a line outside of Erik’s attractions was when they were taking breaks, and they weren’t long lines either, just a few people!

You would think that in the Halloween Capital of America, Salem MA, every haunted attraction would be of excellent quality, but it is clear that this is not the case. There are still those that try to take advantage of this blind market, where you have to buy a ticket, before you see a product, and have no chance of a return if you are unsatisfied with the product. It’s a shame that some people don’t understand that word of mouth can be the best form of advertising possible, if you have an attraction that is amazing, people will talk, and not only will you get referral business, but you will get repeat business. But when you attraction is lame, people also talk, louder and to more people. It is a lot easier to justify not paying $20 if you heard the place sucked, then to hope they are wrong and risk it. Bottom line, if you have a good product it will sell, if not, it wont. As for Erik, I suggest you find an industry that you are good at, because obviously the haunted house industry isn’t working out for you. It takes more than a desire to make money to be successful, in any business. You have to work long and hard, you have to put in your own blood sweat and tears, and above all you have to have passion. Without it you will never be the best, you won’t even come close.

Every since John Denley and team Boneyard left Salem, the overall quality of Halloween in Salem has dropped, to a very unfortunate level. If you are from the Salem area, or you plan to come to Salem for Halloween next year, I suggest that you talk to other people before you spend your hard earned money. Wait at the exit and listen to what people are saying as they leave the attraction. If everyone is coming out disappointed, you are probably at one of Erik’s attractions and you should move on immediately. If people are coming out laughing and screaming with smiles on there face, then give them a chance. I also highly suggest a few other Haunts that I got a chance to visit this year in Mass. The new Spooky World at the Bayside Expo Center in Boston was absolutely fabulous, and I have heard through the grapevine that next year will be twice as good! Witches Woods at Nashoba Valley Ski Area in Westford was also excellent, as was Barrett’s Haunted Mansion in Attleboro, I highly recommend them all!

With that, I will come to a close. I wish everyone a safe and Happy Holiday, and an advanced good luck for next season!

Justin Arrigo

PS When should we expect the next CD? And when will you be playing out again?
            The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

I was at salem this year for halloween 2006. I must say I was very let down in the haunted entertainment. Everything looked as if it was thrown together. Frankensteins laboratory was absolutely HORRIBLE. The actors in here sucked. A simple boo was all they did, not to mention it lasted all of 2 minutes. The haunted witch village was also very poorly done in my opinion. A bunch of fog is all it was. THe actors were having their own conversations. A total waste. I did not get a chance to do the edgar allen poe, terror on the wharf or wax museum. I was so fed up.
              I also attended spooky world. What a rip off that was as well. Spooky world had lots of wasted space and cheap looking haunts. A shame to because they have so much space to work with. The haunts were just a bunch of walls. Little to no scares. They did however do the costumes and makeup right.
              The best haunts that I went through this year were trail of terror in wallingford (absolutely amazing and mind blowing in all aspects), factory of terror(awesome detail), and barretts. Barrets haunted mansion although very short was intense. The makeup artist here was amazing. Also had the scariest clowns i've ever seen. They do clowns right. The line entertainment rocked as well.

Comment

erik carlson talked me into buying an electric chair he had on haunted classified.i paid him 3200 dollars and he cashed check.then he plays the dissapearing act.still cant get in touch with him and he thinks he got away with our money.this is from last august.if i can save one person from gettin ripped off this post is worth it.now im dealing with law enforcement ,f.b.i. and lawyers to get my money back

Comment

Originally posted by wipp
                  erik carlson talked me into buying an electric chair he had on haunted classified.i paid him 3200 dollars and he cashed check.then he plays the dissapearing act.still cant get in touch with him and he thinks he got away with our money.this is from last august.if i can save one person from gettin ripped off this post is worth it.now im dealing with law enforcement ,f.b.i. and lawyers to get my money back

Wow! You gave him the check, so he cashed the money, then he disappeared!! How did you pay him? In person or outgoing mail? So, are they going to investigate him now?

Comment

i sent the check next day air because he promised to ship the chair as soon as the check cleared.he screwed my haunt over and is still to this day.

Comment

Zombie Join Date: Dec 2006

Please beware of Erik Carison and Gerry!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are trying to sell some haunt goods that belong to my company Gateway To Horror Shop These are unpaid items from Salem, MA. Beware.

Sincerely,

Grim Reaper
                      So what is this about Jolly?

Quoted from Halloweenforum.com section titled Off Topic posts.

Again, you have no idea what you are doing. It has been stated that John Denley aka Professor Nightmare owns this attraction and you decide you need to be somebody and put people toward a sight that is also not yours for maybe hits to get you money? Everyone here knows Mr. Denley but, perhaps you don't.

Or what? Especially in a situation where an FBI investigation might become linked to this individual? And you seem to be full of questions like you would like to learn how to duplicate such a fraud?

Anyone will be able to see all the same posts put on this forum has been duplicated on HalloweenForums, Halloween Nation, Top 100 Horror Sites and so on as Jolly Roger, Hauntman, Ghostman, Grim Reaper and again I'm very tired of this guy.

Is there a moderator in the house? Do I need to go to everyone of these sites and do something? Or notify the authorities?
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

also scammed

Hi guys,
                        I'm sorry to bother you but I've fallen foul of Erik Carlson and his scam. I purchased a alien head,a supposed suit from the upcoming alien vs predator movie and a ecto-1 car. I've recieved the alien head, which is not the same one as the picture and is a pile of crap.

The predator suit he claims has been shipped elsewhere by accident and ecto-1 he claimed there was a shipping balance on it. That was the last communication i had with him. I'm based in the UK.

I can't believe i fell for his lies. Could you offer any advice as to how i could locate him or get my money back. Whose predator suit and ecto-1 were these?

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X