Tips for newcomers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for newcomers

There are lots of new people on here lately, so I thought I would post a couple of tips that will help you out and keep some of the long-time members from losing patience with you.

First, there is a button in the orange bar at the top of the page titled "New." If you click on this it will show all the new threads and older threads with new comments that have had activity since you were last here. They are listed by order of the last post and include all of the sections: Fright Forum (World Famous) Home Haunting, etc. Checking these before posting a new question in a section will help keep similar questions and topics from being discussed more than once.

At the same time, if you post a question only post it in one section. Often, posters will ask a question or comment in two or three sections to make sure it is noticed, and there are simultaneous threads dealing with the exact same question. Please post only once since many use the NEW button and will see it whichever category you put it in.

If you post something for sale, try to post the pictures within the thread, or with a link to an external site. This keeps you from having to respond to a dozen different email addresses requesting photos.

If someone else posts something for sale, read the post carefully to see if any questions you have are already answered. Be honest about what you can afford. If someone lists a $3,000 animatronic or a $50,000 complete haunt that they are unwilling to part out and there is no chance you will be able to afford it within the next couple of years, please don't bother the poster with requests for photos or more information. Let them focus on real possible buyers. And if you know what the item looks like, photos aren't really necessary. If something is new and unused and everyone knows the manufacturer's website, you pretty much know what the item looks like or how to find out.

Be honest about what you have done and what your capabilities and finances are. Just about everyone here would like to set up a haunt in a building the size of WalMart, but there are only a handful on here who have or ever will do it. This in no way denegrates what you have done on a smaller scale. Just be honest about it and try not to give false impressions.

None of these are meant to be critical of anyone. I just thought that they would help smooth things along and prevent any hard feelings between the new and the old (not that I am saying any of you are old).
    Last edited by shawnc; 11-14-2008, 10:14 PM.

So "59" isn't "Old"?
    glad to hear it , my potential organ recipients are glad to know this too.
    no I'm not a kind and gracious donor. I keep taking back that one organ.
    Indian giver?
    It's the gift that keeps on giving!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

that was very nicely put=)
      Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Note to self:

Haunt out a Walmart.....bathroom.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Couple more things...
          Here is a Tutorial on Posting Pictures here

And another about Posting Videos here

Have Fun...
          Aaron
          Braineater Productions
          Braineater Haunted House, Sidney B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
            Note to self:

Haunt out a Walmart.....bathroom.
            crappy idea...lol...sorry couldnt help it.

very good tips indeed for the new folks.

Comment

Aaron, Good idea. I should have thought about adding those.

Another tip is the "Search" button in the orange toolbar. Just about anything and everything you can think of has already been discussed on here. Click on Search and type in a word and it will show you every thread that has that word in it. Some of the threads go off-topic but somewhere on the list you should be able too find what you are looking for.

Comment

No way does this thing over go off topic, this is the most disciplined forum ever!
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
                X