Picking a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking a name?

How does one go about picking a name that has not already been used? Is there a list somewhere that can be pulled up to see if the name we have chosen is already taken? Can we use the same name as someone else if we are not located in the same state? Everything we think of seems to be taken!

Whatever name you pick your web address should match. For example The Haunted Castle should have a web address of www.thehauntedcastle.com

I made up a list of 100 possible names. Then went on GoDaddy to see if the domain names were taken. Tons of them were so I would cross those off the list. Then I narrowed down the ones I liked and bought the domain name of the one I liked best. I then got it registered Trademaked with the government. Time consuming and costly but it's better than finding out some big haunt already has that name and will shut you down if you don't stop using it. If the domain name is free chances are so is the name itself.

I got mine trademarked with these guys. They will do an official nation wide search.

http://www.legalzoom.com/sem/tradema...FQNHFQodG1eRXw

I don't think everyone goes for a government trademark it's just added insurance if you become big and other people try to use the name also you have legal recourse at that point. If two business have the same name in different states and there is a dispute the one with the federal trademark wins.

I hope this helps. I was frustrated myself when every name I picked seemed to be taken but you will find one if you make a long list of similar names with different variations to them.

Eric
    www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

I hate to add to your trouble with names But if you are starting small then you will need all the help you can get. If your haunted house starts with a letter of the alphabet thats closer to the front then you will be listed before haunts that are lower. If you are the first one they see you have a good chance to be the one they go to. Its subtle, but trust me it works almost all papers do an october/sept haunt listing...IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER.
      so "the boneyard" will get a few more easy people than "Trail of Terror"
      Choose wisely.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
      X