Which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which do you prefer?

This is a continuation off another topic, but I think its a good one. Im curious to see what others look for in a haunted house.

I will start this off with my own personal preference. I like to get scared. A haunted house that is scarier will leave more of an impact on me when I leave than one that is lets say a "museum". Tons to look at, but nothing scary. Now, being a 30 yr old male, its hard to really get that hair on the back of my neck to raise, buts its been done.

I personally do not see anything scary or "haunted" about a room filled with neon dots and day-glo paint. Maybe in a fun house, but not a haunted house. I also do not get scared by anything "non-existent", such as aliens, werewolves, frankensteins, huge killer clowns, etc...Maybe when I was a kid, but not anymore.
    What does scare me is dark, old hallways. People who actually look like killers (because you never if its some crazed guy in a mask or not). Realistic fear is what gets me. Maybe its because all of my favorite scary movies are those such as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of 1000 corpses, Devils Rejects, The Shining, old Friday the 13ths, and etc...
    All of the scary characters portray a real person. Not an imaginative figure that you know will never exist. I prefer haunts with a more realistic theme. An old farmhouse setting with a killer family sounds better to me than a Toxic landfill of geneticallty mutated poeple. Then somewhere in the mix you throw in a scary clown and the infamous dot room. It just doesnt make sense and thats about where I lose it.

The main point is, everybody has their own things that scare them more than others. My friend is totally petrified by clowns. It cracks me up, but it shows some people have different views on what scares them most. So I was curious to see what scares you guys?
    To get scared.
    0%
    To get a good laugh.
    0%
    To see the detail.
    0%
    To watch others get scared.
    0%
    Its just something to do during Halloween.
    0%
    www.myspace.com/travis_magee

I didn't vote, because I go to Haunted Attractions for ALL of those reasons. I think I can sum it up in one phrase. Here is the reason I go to Haunted Attractions:

"To Be Entertained"
    Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
    Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

I prefer just to be entertained as well. I want a variety of getting scared(not too scared though)and seeing really cool effects. I like getting scared and then immediately being able to laugh about it. I also like seeing customers respond this way at our haunt. Scared then amused. To me thats fun. However, I do know a few people that like being terrorified while in a haunt and if they aren't scared the whole time they are unhappy afterwards.
      Jared Layman

Comment

Actuall it a combo of some of those.

I just want to be entertained.

One of things we drilled into our actors this year is ... you can't scare everyone .. so if you can't scare them, entertain them!
        ~HauntedWebby~
        www.lazarusmaze.com
        www.bbqandghosts.com
        "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

Comment

I sort of fall into the "all of the above" category, in that while I enjoy haunts that have a theme/storyline and present a realistic, creepy atmosphere, I've also enjoyed myself greatly at the "little bit of everything" style houses with scenes that don't follow a cohesive story. It doesn't matter to me if I step from Dr. Frankenstein's lab into a room full of killer clowns, just as long as the actors in those scenes make an effort to put on a good show...

Sincerely,

Warren Vanderdark;
          Owner & Head Mortician,
          The Baxter Avenue Morgue,
          Louisville,Ky.

www.13bats.com
          "We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

Comment

I thought about putting an all of the above, but I figured that would be too easy.

haha..

good answers though. I guess thats a hard question to answer. It really depends on the haunt itself and what it has to offer. One might be stronger in the detail and atmosphere while not being all that scary while the other lacks in detail but is VERY scary.. both could turn out to be equally as good in their respected views.

alright.. just wanted to see what some of you thought.

Comment

Last summer we had a couple going through here that own a large haunt that prides itself on not allowing kids in the place, I guess because they want to terrorize adults only?
              We talked for quite some time before they came through, he said that his employees have always tried to scare him but all have failed to do so.
              Guess what?
              I scared him here!
              He admitted it quickly and you wouldn't probably believe what scared him...something very normally harmless or even silly looking but in my hands it got the job done! Then we all laughed about it. The perfect tour experience through my house in my opinion.
              I have a storyline here, the factual hauntings that have happened here in this old house, no fiction, not a "back-story".
              Of course I try to tell the story of this place in an entertaining fashion.
              The other theme running through here is "Jim's Imagination" which seems to scare, upset or simply make some wonder if they made the right decsion when they decided to enter this house of mine?
              These factors keep it all real simple for me, like writing a good book, go with what you know.
              I think I scare many listening to the haunted history here because I tell it very realistically (most of the time) but then the truth is alot easier to tell realistically.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

haha... thats classic.

do you have a home haunt along the lines of Dr. Lady's? Where you tour people through your home?

Comment

They don't get to see the portion of the house where my underware is kept(souveneer hunters, you know!)
                  They get to walk passed our real washing machine and dryer.
                  They see all the rest of the house, basement, wine cellar outdoor maze,tunnels under the yard, ex cetra.
                  We have alot of people coming here to play Hide & Seek with their friends, they explore the house finding secret things they never see during a regular house tour, if they can find them, that is.
                  People could have seen this place on HG-Tv's show "Extreme Homes" or on the Comedy Central Network's show "Travel Sick", or on "Wild Chicago'.
                  I was also in the book "Odd-Ball Illinois", the author later said I was his favorite thing in the book, really an odd compliment considering I am the only thing mentioned in the book that is alive!
                  It is probably real hard to have a conversation (for most normal people, anyway) with a big tree carved to look like Lincoln or an odd shaped building.
                  I talk back, I respond. Probably makes me more interesting, I would hope.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The poll results so far bear up what I have been thinking for about a year now. To really please the masses, you need about an equal mixture of high intensity, dark maze area and more detailed scenes.

Our haunt (old warehouse) is made up of four about 4,000 sq ft large rooms, we have our front room which consists of the lobby and four actual haunt rooms. It's all super detailed western themed.

The second large room is a gothic cemetary type area, it's detailed, but in a really dark, more intense sort of way with lots of actors.

The third large room is our toxic waste/military base gone wrong area, it's really detailed and lighted in such a way to make the details visible.

The last large room was partially dark and strobe maze and had three semi-detailed scenes in it last year. This coming year it will have only a couple detailed scenes in the beginning and be a dark maze the rest of the way. Then the rest of the house is a detailed old farm house area.

So, about a 50/50 split detailed to dark maze...
                    Brett Hays, Director
                    Fear Fair
                    www.fearfair.com

Comment

I gotta tell ya Ive been through over a hundred haunts in my life and have had some laughs, been entertained and been disapointed with some haunts as well but the 2 best experiences for me were the only 2 that at the end had my heart racing and wanting more. They weren't the nicest looking or big budgets haunts either. They were tight with lots of multiple scares.

Bottom line

Entertain me while Im waiting in line but scare me once the show begins.
                      The Future is looking Scare E

Comment

Five haunters were going through this house tonight.
                        I scared several of them, much to their chagrin!
                        I scared a "newbie" with the exact same thing previously discussed as having gotten their fearless leader long, long ago.
                        I also got "Fearless Leader"! hahahaah!
                        We all visited for a long time about all of this fun sort of stuff, very nice evening.
                        The "Fearless Leader" kept complimenting me and saying that I have this "Gift". (But it isn't my size and I'm trying to return it!)
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I do go to haunted houses for all those things, but most imprtantly to get scared. Thats what most people think a haunted house is suposed to be. You can have the best sets and the world (which us haunters would enjoy), but without good scares, the average person won't care.
                          Mike Quill
                          Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

Working...
                          X