Sound startle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound startle question

First, thanks to everyone on your responses to my previous question. This group is going to be extremely helpful (as well as fun!).

My next question regards an effect I've seen at Universal Studios (and is probably used elsewhere) that I would like to reproduce.

This year is was used in their "Blood Masquarade" scarezone most effectively. Some of the Vamps had a foot pedal hooked to a sound system which played an ungodly ROAR whenever triggered.

Now the foot pedal's Ive seen and are simple and inexpensive. Any ideas on the system requirements needed to cause such a loud effect? Also, I figure they are using some sort of sound loop that is triggered by the pedal, but is it digital or a recorded cd? Any ideas?

Anyone know if the system is manufactured by any of the haunt companies?

Thanks again,
    Pulpy
    ________
    Yamaha YZF-R1
    Last edited by Pulpscrypt; 01-25-2011, 01:55 AM.

You could accomplish this using something like a Frightprops Frightwave sound repeater attached to a high-powered amplified speaker and triggering device, ie. step pad, button, foot pedal, etc.

Here is a link to the Frightwave product http://www.frightprops.com/frightpro...ct.asp?ID=0537
    Kevin
    MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

We use the BooBox to trigger those sounds. You could setup the boo box to play ambient sounds (repeating music), and can be triggered via switch, mat, footpedal, clapper, etc. (Basically anything that can complete a circuit). The boobox will play any mp3 file that you have loaded in it for the trigger. Plus change/activate any lighting or other controllers at the same time.

Also, the boobox has a 50Watt sound output to amplified speakers aren't really needed.

Also, they have the picoboo line that may do the same thing (just on a smaller scale).
      - Glenn Campbell

Haunted Hotel - Louisville, KY
      Industrial Nightmare - Jeffersonville, IN
      http://www.hauntednetwork.com

Comment

CHEAP WAY OUT aka Redneck Version

Get an old fashioned cassette player jacked into sound system. Get a answering machine out going message cassette. (It is a looped tape) Get a christmas tree foot switch (Wal-mart has them now). Record your sound on the tape, set the tape player to PLAY, plug the tape player into the foot switch, foot switch to power supply. Tap the foot switch and adjust soundsystem volume to desired ear shattering level.

Sit back and wait for victims.
        http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
        Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
        When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
        If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

Who makes the BooBox? Also, so I undertand it correctly, it will automatically play ambient music all the time, then when triggered it can change the sounds to facilitate the scene or character, and even turn on a light effect at the same time, then go back to ambient? Will this trigger animations as well as music and light?

Thanks for any info on this!

Allan

Comment

The BooBox is made by FrightIdeas http://www.frightideas.com/products.html. I purchased mine through FrightProps www.frightprops.com

Also, so I undertand it correctly, it will automatically play ambient music all the time, then when triggered it can change the sounds to facilitate the scene or character, and even turn on a light effect at the same time, then go back to ambient? Will this trigger animations as well as music and light?
            That is exactly what it is capable of.
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

That sounds great, thanks for your reply!

Comment

Working...
              X