Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is everyone going up the creek???

OK HERE IS THE DEAL,

The economy is falling apart, my friends and family are loosing everything, and i feel bad!!! i wish i could help them (hell i may even join them) but my question is !!! is anyone else starting to feel the hell we live every day just in hope for a better tomarrow???

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com
    I have money and i am not worried
    64.71%
    I believe i could be in trouble
    35.29%

The poll is expired.

Nobody I know is immune

150 yrs. ago it was impossible to lay in a hospital bed for three or four days and spend all the money that working hard for a lifetime could accumulate.
    In tough times in our country's history people would just pack it up and move west ,homestead 160 free acres or mine for gold, silver even lead..
    Many of the survival tactics from the 1930's depression would see you quickly thrown in jail today, like my Great Uncle who supported himself for awhile by trapping...cats! (I don't know if he ate them or not) He sold the hides though, said they were some other animal.
    This little village that I have lived in almost always has never had much going on here for employment or big paying jobs of any kind..but even meager financial pickings have dried up and vanished for many people here.
    35 yrs. ago good jobs could be had if you wanted to drive 25 miles (one-way) to those jobs. Now almost all of those jobs are long gone.
    I really don't know what most people do for an income around this county anymore?
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Very well said Jim, i believe this hole world is for SHIT!!! and i turn to my family and friends to make me understand why i am so happy to be alive!!!!!!!!!

Jason

Comment

The Bright Side

Our community is doing very well right now. No major lay-offs, businesses and restaurants still popping up everywhere. Still have to wait an hour for a table at Applebee's on a Friday night.

Medical implants (Knees, Hips) are the main manufacturing businesses in town and are slower than last year but still doing well. Almost no businesses in our community are dependant on the automobile industry.

Comment

I'm definitely having a tough time
          Making ends meet and I'm a government employee!

Comment

I'm not voting on the poll because I think it needs more choices... but if you are asking are we doing well or not doing well...

Our business is booming, we have more people calling us to build things than ever before, and for the most part I don't know many who aren't. The haunted house industry as booming, haunts have money and tons of it, I know most haunts I talked broke every record they ever recorded.

Halloween retail was up up up up... biggest year ever.

Amusement parks like Six Flags had one of their best years. The economy isn't effecting people from going to bowl, or taking their kids to see a movie, or well in October to a haunted house, buying a costume, or picking a pumpkin.

I think most people in the business of Halloween are going to be okay.

Once the Transworld show comes around I think you will see a lot of buyers with a lot of money to spend. Make sure you guys get up there and get you a booth!

I think the money will be flowing!

Lastly we are really a year out right now from another Halloween and tha is a lot of time for the economy to fix itself before we all open again. I'm not worried not one bit...

Lets face it the real problem here is the credit industry gave loans to people who couldn't afford them and people inflated home values so high it wasn't realistic.

I think this needed to happen and it will make the markets stronger in the end.

It will be okay!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Jason

My friend! I refuse to come to this thread and brag or speak for anyone else. Some will do that I however WILL NOT. Why? like anything else we have to live one day at a time. I think people NO some people forget 9/11 we could have one today, tomorrow, the week before the TransWorld show, before Halloween!! We are loosing thousand of jobs a day its on every major station CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN you name it. I could come here and tell you I am making more money than ever before, I got more work that I can handle or whatever! but that would only swell my head and for no reason. Ever heard the old saying Jason ''here today gone tomorrow''? Live buy it my friend!

People if you would look at what Jason is pretty much asking. If I am correct what you think of the economey and the dollar is what hes getting at. Correct me if I am wrong. Hes not asking for you to brag on how much you have or don't have. And lets for once please leave a TransWorld ad out of this.

Bottom line Jason take each day at time. Don't forget yesterday and never count on tomorrow. Things change in the blink of an eye and bragging on anything can come back and bite you. The world is ever changing its not what it was 10, 20 50 years ago. And lets all be honest we don't know where its heading either. Jason money is a necessity that we all must have. However it does not promote happiness. Do what makes you happy my friend and let everything else good or bad fall into place! Shane and its just my thoughts Shane this time.
              sigpic

Comment

The original question...

The OP's question was basically "How is everyone doing in this economy"?

I think Larry answered that question... he is doing quite well weathering this storm.
                I didn't take his response as bravado or rubbing anyone's face in it.

I too had a record season and the orders are still rolling in.

I feel the need to state this because I think people need to know that there IS hope in this economy and money can be made if you are in the right industries and play your cards right. And quite possibly the Halloween industry (or specifically the Haunted Attractions) will do well. It has been said before that people need an emotional outlet during hard times... we are an industry that provides that service.

Will the economy get worse? Surely! Yes, it will.
                Should we start running around continually telling everyone how bad it is? I don't think so... it doesn't help the situation.
                I don’t watch the American news sources for just this reason.

"Irrational Exuberance" is what got the housing market into trouble (too much optimism and confidence). But it drove our economy to record highs. "Irrational Pessimism" and doom and gloom will drive our economy into record lows.

So… If you did well this season or expect to do well next season don’t be afraid to say so.
                It just might to help lift someone else’s spirits and make them feel like forging ahead!

Doug.
                www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
                [Google+] [YouTube]
                [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

Well said Doug,

It is very simple, don't live beyond your means.
                  Rent to own is not the way to live.

It doesn't seem to matter how much money you have, you seem to spend it anyway. So why worry about it. Just live and love the ones you are with.
                  Your loved ones are the most important thing anyway.
                  The only reason I can do the things I do is because I have unwavering support in everything I do.
                  Kevin R. Alvey
                  info at gore-galore.com
                  www.gore-galore.com
                  www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                  www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                  www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Hmmmmm

Jason?

Your buddy Ken here....you know Azzhole?

My house has been for sale for almost 2 years.
                    I went from 2 incomes in my house down to 1......and more than 30% of that goes to my kids and x now.

I don't see an end anytime soon.
                    There was a light at the end of the tunnel.......it just got really dark in here.

Now on a business level?
                    Larry is kind of right.....we don't have more money than ever.....but we haven't really been hit by the crunch in THIS business
                    Seems people still want to suspend the real world and get the crap scared out of them.
                    Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

UMMMM Doug

You skiped right over my point! I did not mention Larrys name or anyones and I did not see or read where Jason was asking about this Industry. I think he ment life in general or atleast thats how I took it. I think he was asking how people are surviving . I did not read where he said hows the vendors in this industry doing. So PLEASE don't pull that card to direct this thread in another direction OR assume I was doing it. When I said some people forget 9/11 I said some not one but some. My point there was its to dang early to tell whats going to happen to this industry if you want to take it that way or the world as how I took it. Shane

P.S. Doug if I took your answer directed towards me and it was not I apoligize. Thats just how I took it. Just like I did not direct my answer to Larry. I was pointing out how I took the thread.
                      Last edited by graystone; 12-05-2008, 09:59 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

It was a headline a few days ago that we have been in a recession since December 2007. Really they could have asked me and everyone would have been informed sooner.

Somehow gas prices have gone way down, people still seem to be creating traffic, using cell phones, internet connections and going to restaurants. In 1929 those that hadn't already moved to the big city were living in tar paper shacks with no facilities what so ever for decades and dieing of the black death. There must have been a whole lot more cats before the invasion of all the Chinese restaurants. There was no TV to convince you that things were tough. Now I think it is all how the whining of the economy tries to get even more by saying okay now it is really bad, every one accumulate some money, then now it is okay go spend it. That way there is yearly cycle of money pumping where the old dudes said there was a 30 year business cycle or 7 years to get money out of a cow.

I have watched it go to a 20 year cycle then a 10 year cycle to various parts of the country having not reinvented themselves yet.

Our October was very slow, while a brand new haunted house that knows how to advertise did twice as many customers as ever expected for this area. Before that we had a bunch of time doing service work rather than real jobs that paid a proper rate. We kept going as long as we could to be available. Then November we had completely off. I have not had any time off at all since after 911.

A VERY nice haunted house person from a distant land has actually loaned us money to go do a commercial job over the winter that can not spend budgeted money until after January 1st or it would have all been over. Everyone that has a business has recieved 10 times as many calls from those seekng any kind of work.

I'll have to look a little closer but, I think in my 100 mile a day round trip I have only seen 2 cats. They were't real good looking cats either. I'm not sure what March will hold and a man has to plan ahead. What would you sell them as? Sexy massage mittens?
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Let me clear up my point... I know there are MANY industries where people are being layed off daily, and I realize there are other industries being effected. Yes its bad right now. But I assumed the question was geared towards the haunted house industry.

I believe our industry is recession proof I really do. Its a holiday that people can still afford and because it comes around once a year refuse to give up. No vendor in this industry should be afraid to make sales and no haunted house should be afraid to do good number next year.

Overall I think this was the HAUNTED HOUSE industries BEST season EVER!

Haunted house owners have money and lots of it to spend and I believe they will spend it. My comments to Jason and Screamline in specific is to get a booth at Transworld, do not be afraid to develop new product and I feel you will do well.

Screamline has some amazing talent over there no doubt about it... I look forward to seeing you all at Transworld.

In regards to my own personal business, my haunted houses set new records just like most everyone I talked to.

Secondly our business of building attractions is non-stop! The point here is all those regional amusement parks, amusement facilties are doing awesome in times like this because people are not doing as much travel by plane.

Things you can drive to THRIVE in times like these and places like Vegas are hurting way down. Vegas in specific is one of the hardest hit area's right now.

The MAIN POINT IS VENDORS will ENJOY A GREAT TRADESHOW I AM SURE OF IT!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I'm going to respond and I hope it's not taken the wrong way. It's so easy for the intent and tone of a typed message to be misunderstood and I hope you all know me well enough by now to know I'm just trying to share my very encouraged outlook on the situation...

I believe there are many facing trying financial times and I believe there will be more to come. I also believe that these trying times are an opportunity for families to slow down while being tried by fire and have the gift of time which allows them to learn to pull together and stand by one another. The ones I feel for the most are those whose relationships fall apart because of the increased stress. For them I hope they have close family members to pull together with.

I don't think Larry is in any way bragging or stating what he did for any other reason than to give encouragement as well. I'm not saying anyone is implying anything otherwise either.

I do believe that as families spend less time on more expensive entertainment and travel, they will look for closer and less expensive options. We as haunted attraction owners have an opportunity to provide just that! We are lookiing into toning down Raycliff Manor next year to appeal to a broader (family) audience and possibly offering a "family night". We're also looking into offering other events as well, which will also be more family friendly. Like Larry, I believe that our industry has a door opening before us and haunted attractions and haunted attraction vendors are well positioned for increasing success. I hope in the process we can help to raise the tide of the economy and bring as many boats up with us as possible!

Kel
                            sigpic
                            Kelly Allen
                            Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                            www.RaycliffManor.com
                            www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                            www.HauntBook.com

Comment

I believe i should step up and inform everyone why i posted this thread!!! Shane hit it right on the head!!!! IT ABOUT THE PEOPLE! REGULAR PEOPLE THAT WORK 9 TO 5, the casher that works at wal-mart, the bagger at your grocery store, the person that hates there job but does it just to pay the bills, As a vendor i realize if there home life is suffering!! than screamline may suffer!!! So my post was to get a feel for what position people are in , i already know most haunts did well!! but what about joe schmo!! the people that survive on red knunkles and alot of hope.. As a vendor i want to see were this industry is going and what screamline can do to make our products more affordable to a budget in these hard times!!!!! We deal with everyone from haunted houses , costume shops , mask makers, and my favorite backyard haunts...So with that said!!!! is everyone doing ok and what is your fears in the up and coming year,and were can we fill in the void???

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

P.S We love this indusrty and everyone in it!!!! or goal is to live it , die for it, and happy just to be part of it,,,,,,,,,,
                              Last edited by screamline studios; 12-05-2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X