X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Animals

Who uses them?

Snakes, rats, anything?

We are considering building a new room in the Darkness where real rats can crawl around in the walls.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
    We are considering building a new room in the Darkness where real rats can crawl around in the walls.

Larry
    That sure would be creepy seeing live rats moving through the walls.
    Very awesome idea!!!! Look forward to seeing it if you do it.

Comment

Larry,

We feature over 400 live tarantulas from around the world, several live snakes (one is 17 feet long) and lizards at our show.

The guests really enjoy them year after year.

In this thread there is there is an ongoing disscussion about live animals. http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ead.php?t=6778

I have some great contacts for animals if you need any give me a ring, Patti has my number.
      Tim Dunne
      www.FrightKingdom.com
      Proud Member of the HHA
      www.HHAssociation.com

Comment

Tigers! Yup and I am serious!

Many of you know I have owned and raised exotic animals for 20 years. I have used tigers in my haunt before. I don't recommend going out and buying one. First off its illegal and second it takes years of training. But you asked and I told you. Shane and its Lions, Tigers and Bears for real Shane this time!!
        sigpic

Comment

I did the rat thing a few years ago. One thing to keep in mind. Rats do not act on command. Sometimes they just lay there and sleep. In fact a lot of the time. We tried everything to get them to move around a bit more. We tried adjusting quantity of food, type of food, temperature and lighting. Nothing really sparked them to move around a lot. Most customers thought they were fake. I even tried offering the rats nightly cash bonuses. LOL! The fact is, at least in my experience, live rats are not very affective in a haunt. You have to constantly clean their cages or the smell will knock you out. Also, if they get too stressed out, they die. I think you will end up very disappointed using live rats.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
          Owner
          Deadly Intentions Haunted House
          www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
          1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

We worked with the first USS Nightmare when it was docked in Pittsburgh in 1998, and they used younger rats who were a little more active -- but also grew quite large by end of the run.

As Howie said, they do require someone who can really be compassionate and attentive to them ... cause they won't act on command but they will occasionally fight, f**k, and eat each other.

The cages will need regular cleaning. I remember the smell in the "rat area" by month's end was quite impressive, particularly for the poor girl inside the room with them.

Having said all that, people certainly seemed to love it (Universal's "Rat Lady" has been a popular fixture of their event every year) - it just requires some extra planning and TLC.
            Scott Simmons
            The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
            http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

Yeah, USS Nightmare uses the rats and has a snake room with air/ankle blasters for scares! Ugh... I freakin' hate snakes!

I think 13th Gate also uses live snakes.... I've heard that with snakes, if you keep them fed and FULL... they are VERY calm and well, "friendly"? IDK... -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Every year Halloween Horror Nights uses the RAT LADY, they put into diffrent things with rats, it's cool. I saw once that she had little tiny snacks that she would put in her hand or sit on her chest so the rats would move to were the snack was. She does it every year , I think the rats are hers so she spends a lot of time with them.
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

When Haunts Go Wild!

A few years ago I wrote a story for Hauntworld called WHEN HAUNTS GO WILD! It was about some over the top crazy things some haunts have done. One section was all about animals, including RATS!

If you want to know how one haunt owner (who shall remain nameless) motivated his rats, dig into your ancient haunt magazine stack and learn the awful TRUTH!

Good Luck!
                  Ben Armstrong
                  NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                  www.Fearworld.com
                  www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Speculo View Post
                    A few years ago I wrote a story for Hauntworld called WHEN HAUNTS GO WILD! It was about some over the top crazy things some haunts have done. One section was all about animals, including RATS!

If you want to know how one haunt owner (who shall remain nameless) motivated his rats, dig into your ancient haunt magazine stack and learn the awful TRUTH!

Good Luck!
                    for those who do not thave that particular magazine; is there anyway to paste he article ben?

umm tyler, the ussn did not ankel tickelers where the snakes are. something tells me you went on a day when a real sanke was loose.

Comment

J,

Was it the snakes or the rats that had them? I do remember them! hahaha... -Tyler
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

tyler, there is an air blaster in the rat lady's room.

Comment

I wouldn't us real rats. You just know some of them are going to get loose and start chewing on expensive things you would rather they didn't chew on. I would bet that with the new construction you already have quite a few rats running around that you don't know about.

Comment

When Haunts Go Wild!

Took me a moment but I found it....

Enjoy!

WHEN HAUNTS GO WILD!
                            Ben Armstrong

Some people are just crazy! And some of these crazy people work in haunted houses! How do I know this? Over the years I have built some haunts, been to dozens and heard tales of hundreds. I love hearing about haunted events, and while interesting marketing plans, clever concession ideas and the latest make-up tips get my attention, nothing grabs you more than the stories of really crazy haunted houses. When fevered imaginations, motivated crews, and the urge to terrify come together twisted things happen….what follows is a loose narration of just a few of the crazy things that happen when Haunts Go Wild!
                            Disclaimer: Some stories may have been altered and embellished over the years just like any good urban legend. To protect the innocent (and the guilty!), haunts and individuals will not be named. The tales that follow are not recommended, and in many cases are actively discouraged. Some of the events herein are gross, weird, or just plain dangerous! Some may horrify and offend so beware! If they freak you out too much…tell yourself it’s just a story…no one would do that!

Animal Actors

Quite often animals get into the act at haunted houses…..why should humans have all the fun?

Rat Girl- Years ago a theme park advertised that they were looking for an actor that would lie down in a glass covered coffin filled with live rats! Well they found people to do the job and patrons got to enjoy a bloody actor swarming with rodents. And you thought working with children was bad!
                            Scare Me! - After the season one owner was taking some rats across the road to be “freed” in a nearby field. Some patrons drove up, unmindful of the November date and demanded to be scared. Without missing a beat the haunter tipped over the plastic container containing the creatures. A moment later he flashed his light on the horde of creatures swarming past the guest’s feet. The hours he spent afterward wrangling the rats back into the box was worth the last and best scare of the season! Note: All the rats he dumped in the field came back and infested his haunted house.

Twitchy Rats - One haunted house built a scene with Plexiglas walls with live rats on both sides of the path. Well the rats were pretty boring so they crushed No-Doze alertness pills and mixed them with Mountain Dew. Every night the rats were fed this tasty concoction and they freaked out…twitching and running amok in the scene! The crazy part was that after the season the rats were sold back to a pet shop. I bet the poor shop owner never realized he was getting caffeine super rats that were also dyed to glow green under a black light!

Hungry Rats - One attraction had rats separated from the guests by a chicken wire cage. Thinking they were fake, someone stuck his finger in and was bitten, and he actually had to be treated for rabies! Apparently the insurance company paid a massive settlement - I guess the moral is…make sure to have your rats tested for rabies before you put them in chicken wire cages!

Tasty Treats- One haunted house actor grossed out his guests by eating LIVE meal worms off a pizza! I plan to stick with pepperoni.
                            Horsing Around- Everyone has heard of hayrides that have live horses on the trail, but one large indoor haunted house upped the ante. As guests entered into a western scene they marveled at the lifelike horse props scattered about. Needless to say it was quite a surprise when the props started to gallop! I am guessing they did not need to purchase the “barnyard” smell from Sinister Scents!

Deadly Distractions - Some haunters have kept real snakes and large spiders in containers for guests to gawk at. But the big payoff happens when a fake snake or rubber tarantula is suddenly lowered onto the viewer’s head!

Something Fishy - One haunt owner keeps a pond filled with massive black catfish. All year long he fattens them up, and then puts them in a shallow pool in his Haunted House. Patrons crossing a rickety bridge attract the fish that think it’s feeding time! The writhing black mass of “things” in the water gets quite a reaction, and he doesn’t ever have to worry about their switch mat malfunctioning!

Mechanical Nightmares

What is scarier…an actor in a mask or a car driving at you full speed? You be the judge!

Golf Carts From Hell- One haunter owned a golf course so it seemed like a natural…let guests drive golf carts down a dark trail and have actors jump out and scare them. Apparently the actors were the ones getting scared as teenaged guests played Death Race 2000! I wonder who is worth more points, a killer clown with a rubber chicken or a serial killer with a rubber machete?

The Terror Taurus - Gets ‘em every time! Imagine a pitch black room in a haunt and suddenly a full sized car is driving at you! There were safeties in place. Welded guard rail, the car was chained to a tree outside, and the exhaust was pumped out of the building. But if the driver hit the brakes too late or his seat belt wasn’t tight enough…WHAM !..Cracked windshield! Might have been even more fun with an airbag!

Happened Up North - Not to be out done, one northern haunted house scares guests in the haunted house with a snow mobile!

Buried Alive! - An infamous gag created years ago and recreated by a big name haunt. Crossing a suspension bridge, guests are told they would be buried alive. They are plunged into darkness and sure enough they feel themselves being covered up to their necks! A mechanical rig dumps thousands of plastic balls submerging the guests, and then lets the balls fall away for one mind boggling gag. Captain Kangaroo, eat your heart out!

Lake O’ The Spook House - In a stunning intro scene one haunt had guests ferried across a lake by a cloaked figure. Unfortunately one night the “Lake” burst, flooding thousands of gallons into the dressing rooms and beyond. I think they got it repaired before they opened the next night, but if they hadn’t, a “gone Fishin” sign might have been appropriate!

Corpse-a-pult! - Not to be outdone by the craze of animations throwing bodies toward guests, at least two different haunts decided to go all out. They hurled soft foam bodies ONTO guests! “That’s not going to hit me. That’s not going to hit me….AAAHHGH!” Some have dropped stuffed animals onto people’s heads in total darkness for a similar effect.

Vortex Spin Cycle - One haunted house had a guest fall in the ever popular spinning tunnel and roll around until the operator hit the emergency shut off. Reportedly he smelled “downy fresh” afterward.

Squeaky Clean - Several venues have tried “The Foam Room” a scene filled with soap suds at times almost over the heads of guests! Now if we could combine that with the aforementioned Vortex we might just have something!

Slides of DOOM! - Many haunted houses have thrilled guests with massive slides in the darkness. Multi story spirals, straight pitch black plunges, or even one that starts with you tucked into a bed terrorize their victims time and again. I have heard some owners “wax the slides” or use other methods to make the trip even faster!

PART 2 IS NEXT
                            Ben Armstrong
                            www.Fearworld.com

Comment

Part 2 When Haunts Go Wild

PART 2

WHEN HAUNTS GO WILD

Intense Haunt Actors
                              You know the ones…Over the top, hard core, absolutely crazy!

Foxy Lady - At one haunted house I saw a member of the cast made up like a really attractive female approaching guests, befriending them, and getting involved in some major smooching! The scary part came when they found out he was a guy!

Chainsaw Flame Out - Last year a chainsaw operator at an outdoor haunt damaged his saw. Apparently he smacked it on some barrels and a strange fluid started leaking from it. Well since he was in a dark area he pulled out his lighter to see what the fluid was and surprise, surprise… it was gasoline! Once they put him out (no injuries fortunately!) he was even more “fired up” to keep scaring!

That’s Gotta Hurt! - True story…I kid you not! I worked in TV for 18 years. A few years ago during October I was in the offices of our “I-Team” the investigative reporters who use hidden cameras, etc. Anyway one of the investigators told me a story that made me cringe! She said she had been at a party the week before and had heard about a haunted house actor that had been firing blanks from a starter pistol. Apparently he had discharged the pistol in his pants, injuring his “equipment”! She finished up with…“Was that your haunted house?” I denied any knowledge and spent the rest of the season worried about hidden camera invasions of Atlanta haunted houses!

Puke-Zilla - Hardcore actors go pretty far for a gross out sometimes - one chowed down on raw beef bones and lost his lunch earning the above title. Some use real hog guts for scares, and one carried around a bucket he repeatedly fake vomited into, and then drank the contents. It wasn’t long before the act became real. Last year an actor scared a customer so effectively she copiously regurgitated, only to have another customer immediately slip in the puddle and flounder about, essentially bathing in it! Who says haunted houses aren’t lots of fun!

Up, Up and Away! - Many haunts have flying actors on bungees, tracks and zip lines, but one really wins the prize. They had an actor fly over the audience on a zip line swinging a working chainsaw!

Dirty Diapers - One legendary haunted house had actors chasing visitors with dirty underwear filled with melted chocolate! After the success of 13 Ghosts, many actors ran around in dirty diapers offering vile treats and having guests eat baby food. One amazing actor dresses as “Granny” and wears multiple pairs of granny panties. He removes them with great fanfare, offering them to visitors complete with a phone number written on them and copious “skid marks” in place. Another haunt has crazy hicks that chase the crowd with a chamber pot while eating the gooey contents!

What will they put in their mouths next? - I think the guests are crazier than the actors! You can offer them “old dirty butt scabs” (Beef Jerky), rubber worms and “pills” in bottles and they will eat them, sometimes with no hesitation! One door man did his act then pulled a rubber earthworm from his mouth to offer to his patrons. Often they would take it put it in their mouths and return it! Those worms were not “recycled” needless to say!

Say What? - A haunted house is a tough place to hear dialogue sometimes, with all the screaming and carrying on. One audio intro in a science fiction themed haunt warned of the dangerous “Xenomorphs” Apparently more than one puzzled guest asked about the “semen dwarfs” after misunderstanding the word! One haunt actor was having a great time telling folks to beware…“There are maggots about”! His massive fangs made his M’s sound like F’s, and well…some confusion ensued!

Trick or Treat? - One line actor had a great gag… Approaching a group of guests he would brandish a large bag and say “Trick or Treat?” If they picked treat he would slowly produce a piece of candy from the bag…if they said trick he would blast them with a concealed air horn!

Got any spare change? - One haunt in an almost too realistic scene has actors playing homeless guys aggressively panhandling patrons to the haunted house. Apparently many are willing to part with a dollar or three to escape the creepy scene! Homeless characters can be very scary in urban settings especially on slow nights outside the haunted house. One actor uses a shopping cart full of gory surprises to share with his audience.

Interactive Adventures
                              Guests remember interactive experiences at haunted houses for years, and sometimes the memories (or nightmares) last for a lifetime!

Bottoms up! - I once went to a haunt that admitted adults only. At the bar before you went in they gave you shots to better “enjoy” the experience. Scenes began pretty normal, but by the end there was lots of bare flesh, whips and dripping candle wax! Kind of made me rethink the whole need for a costume room!

Excuse me! - At least one haunt uses areas of absolute darkness with actors in night vision goggles messing with the patrons. But in many pitch black haunts, both actors and guests often have unexpected and sometimes planned “personal” encounters! One haunt reported having to do regular sweeps of its black maze when guests started using it for a “rendezvous” point!

Mutant Ape - One haunted attraction had a mutant ape “puppet” on a boom arm that would “run” up to guests and grab them with pneumatically locking arms. Guests would fight the thing, struggling to escape, and later report to the owner about a tiny actor who got fresh with them!

Let Me Out! - Cages have been used by some haunts to interesting effect: You “capture” a small group in a cage and don’t let them out unless they “do” something. Of course if they demand to be released you let them go…no one wants to be arrested for kidnapping! Common games include making them sing or do other ridiculous actions.

Eaten Alive - The same house with the mutant ape has another amazing gag…A huge dragon like monster that actually eats people! Leverage and soft foam teeth allow a puppeteer to drag guests screaming in to the darkness.

Slimy shake - One Haunt actor got me good in a Chicago haunt. In a morgue scene the doctor wearing slimy wet gloves greeted me warmly and extended his hand. I shook it automatically… feeling the wet nasty rubber glove! The same actor later told me how at another haunt he had pretended to give willing guests “injections” …he had hypos full of ice water he would squirt them with in the soft part of the throat…for a millisecond they were sure a needle had gone into their skin!

The Mark of Evil! - Some actors approach a guest and ask if they want to be marked…many will agree…the guest then has a blotch of blood placed on a forehead or arm. Later other actors will reference the mark as a sign of good or evil…never letting the guest know exactly what it means. I have seen another actor do this asking if guests wanted viruses. He would mark them in various types of UV make-up that would later appear in black light.

Part 3 Next....
                              Ben Armstrong
                              www.Fearworld.com

Comment

Working...
                              X