Forrest Ackerman is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest Ackerman is dead

I'm sorry if this may not belong in this spot exactly but this is a great loss. Forrest J. Ackerman passed away today.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,7179199.story

Im always sad to hear about the loss of anyone.
    Will be in my prayers.

Comment

From chud.com - Ackerman played a large role (if not the largest) in the wide cultural acceptance of horror and science fiction as legitimate literary, art and film genres. No one has done more, I'm sure you're aware, to spread the gospel of science fiction, horror, and fantasy fandom than Forrest J. Ackerman.

Amen. Rue Morgue magazine recently did a fantastic cover story on Forry and his legacy to horror and sci-fi fans everywhere ... it was his enthusiasm and his magazine that largely created the entire idea of fandom, and he inspired countless horror and sci-fi creators such as Stephen King, Joe Dante, John Landis, Steven Speilberg, Rick Baker, and millions more. Best of all, Forry was a true fan who truly loved the genre with little irony or negativity.

God bless him, he will be missed.
      Scott Simmons
      The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
      http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

Anybody Remember...

A story about Forrest talking about his hallway wall paper in his house?
        It was a Victorian pattern and it slowly moved as you stood watching it because it was all a rear-projection!
        Or did my 12 yr. old mind just imagine this story as I fell asleep with Famous Monsters Magazine in my hands?
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I was a Famous Monsters Kid.

When I first did my hosted horrorshow I sent him copies!
          A sad day but a full life and legacy that is something to be proud of.

He sort of followed my basic life path -

Don't hurt people,have fun, and leave cool stuff behind!

Thanks
          Ben Armstrong
          NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
          www.Fearworld.com
          www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Have You Ever wondered?

What people 200 years from now would think when they might find some of the stuff a haunter leaves behind?
            I look at the big steel skull next to my house and wonder that.
            "These people from 200 years ago seemed to have worshiped people who had very hard, large heads?"
            "You mean football players?"
            "Silly! Those people wore helmets."
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I was a Famous Monsters kid too! I got a pen pal through FM. Years later I sent him one of my books and he sent me a very nice e-mail and quote to use for advertising. He was truly awesome and helped change my life in a small way.

KroneDaddy

OK I have to say this, it is killing me. I dreamed 3 nights ago I was looking at old issues of Famous Monsters mag and saw his picture. I asked someone in my dream if Forry was still living, they replied they didn't know.

Believe me or not, it happened, and when I got back in the states and saw this post it hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Haunts upon a time there was no book, and fans of haunted houses didn't stand a ghost of a chance of being educated about their favorite type of spooky stuff - but all that has changed with The Complete Haunted House Book."

- Forrest J. Ackerman
              editor of "Famous Monsters of Filmland"
              Hauntus Emeritus
              Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
              Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

I wonder what is going to happen with his left over movie stuff... does anyone know? I'm sorry to hear he passed away what a spokesman for the horror industry! Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Bob Burns would probably know about Forry's collection.

KDaddy
                  Hauntus Emeritus
                  Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
                  Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

I read something from Peter Jackson, who said he had sold most it to pay bills towards the end but kept his favorite stuff. Peter Jackson said he bought most of the King Kong stuff. He's done more for Sci Fi and Classic Horror than anyone on the planet. Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                    X