Franchise Pro Haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franchise Pro Haunt?

I've looked at alot of all of your guy's haunts. I have yet to come across a pro haunter that has opened up several locations of the same thing. Is there somehting I don't know that is preventing you guys to turn your haunt into a franchise or did noone think of that yet. I mean why hasn't larry opened up another Creepyworld in a different part of the country yet?
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

This is something, years down the road mind it, that my partner wants to get into! I told him it's a bad idea, too much of a hassle, more costly, etc. etc. etc... but he's set to figure out a why to do this! The ONLY "chain" of haunts I've seen are the Ripley's haunts... which are not worth their ticket price!

So, maybe someday haunt owners will look into this... but it would take alot of ther personal touch out of it! -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

email me - undertakerha13@aol.com
      were doing this but i dont want to really relase info till a few months
      Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

BTW we are located in toledo ohio and second lcoation will be in california if it for sure happens.
        we are dealing with same thing as well.
        were asking ourselves how it could benifit us.
        still working out the kinks if anything it will just get us complete nationwide recognition over time.

also how much does ripleys cost and how long does it take to go through?
        Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeRTaKer313 View Post
          BTW we are located in toledo ohio and second lcoation will be in california if it for sure happens.
          we are dealing with same thing as well.
          were asking ourselves how it could benifit us.
          still working out the kinks if anything it will just get us complete nationwide recognition over time.

also how much does ripleys cost and how long does it take to go through?
          why are you looking to open a haunt in california?

Comment

It has been done, multiple times. Anyone remember Silo X ? I do, I once worked for them. They had 8-10 locations one year. I think there was an Alice Cooper thing, There was an attempt at an Elvira thing, I think the Nightmare New York guys tried it last year in Miami, dont know how that worked out, lets not forget Clear Channel... and wasn't there a chain of Haunted Hayrides?

The answer is...It is hard!

It is hard enough just to do a successful haunt period, one that you can actually make a living at, not just make enough to open the next year. To make one in a corporate setting that makes enough to keep a parent company happy has got to be near impossible.

Don't get me wrong there are quite a few very sucessful haunts, but for the most part they are perfect storms of the right producers in the right location at the right time that somehow survived and grew.

To capture all those things and drop them into cities you don't know filled with established haunts sounds risky at best.

I think anyone who ever had a haunt had a dream about multiple locations and a franchise, I know we did, but we realized it was more important to work on our own product.

There are a few haunt owners with multi locations but they are rare, and usually the haunts all have different names and approaches.

Thats what I know about the topic...

Thanks!
            Ben Armstrong
            NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
            www.Fearworld.com
            www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

cool i never knew others have done it other than ripleys thats interesting.
              were opening one is california for 2010 because i feel the manager/partner knows what there doing the most and he came to me with the idea. Also he had an attendance of 25,000 for 2008 so hes doing very well.
              were still working everything out. and we hope this will spread to other cities in the future, its a dream.. idk if its a profitable dream

Comment

Don't forget about Universal/Spencer's one-year attempt, I think it was called Chamber of Chills?
                Scott Simmons
                The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
                http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

how did that work out.
                  i guess the fact that it was open for 1 year pretty much explains lol

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeRTaKer313 View Post
                    cool i never knew others have done it other than ripleys thats interesting.
                    were opening one is california for 2010 because i feel the manager/partner knows what there doing the most and he came to me with the idea. Also he had an attendance of 25,000 for 2008 so hes doing very well.
                    were still working everything out. and we hope this will spread to other cities in the future, its a dream.. idk if its a profitable dream
                    Where in California are you talking about having this haunt? Who is the manager/partner? How do you know this person? What has he or she done in the industry?

Comment

Didn't larry have a Darkness in Tampa at one time?
                      Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Back in the early 90s there was an ad for haunted hayride franchises in Entrepreneur magazine. Can't remember who it was though.

Comment

Ron Howard Frachises

"Oppiee!" of The Andy Grithithithith Show, now a Hollywood director, ex cetra tried a haunt franchise. where is that now?
                          Just not enough money to spread around to keep everybody "happy" and working like the industrious ants in the anthill,meeded to make it and keep it keeping on.
                          Anybody wondering what the heck I'm talking about?
                          Watch a pro football game, imagine how more pure fortitude and desire it takes to play that very demanding sport, get knocked down, get up, run your guts out, get knocked down again.
                          Being a ballcarrier in the pro league is like getting in a car wreck at 35 miles per hour as the bodies collide.
                          It takes work, desire, knowledge , some kind of special talent or talents not always the kind that can be taught to make the haunt happen and sometimes luck is a factor too.
                          If you can find someone who can do all of this and loves doing it, why would they work for you? Wouldn't they just be doing it for themself?
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Well if any of you are looking to franchise, I have a great opportunity. San Antonio (eigth largest city in America) has over 1.8 million people. It has only 3 haunted attractions, one is Six Flags, one is Ripleys downtown catering to the tourists and one legitamate haunted house. The word on the street is that it may not be around much longer. Either way there is untold room for more Haunts in this area. I have the desire and some of the knowledge and a strong desire to do it...missing one important element...money. I would love to talk to someone about partnering. With a decent investment in advertising, I truely believe you could pull 30-40 thousand patrons to a good haunted house. It is truely a wide open market.
                            Greg Salyers
                            Fear Entertainment

Comment

One of the things I love about the Haunted House industry is how hostile it is to corporations (and corporate chains). Those guys depend on formulas that can be repeated over and over. You always know what to expect inside a McDonald's cheese burger, and that's why you go to McDonalds when you're traveling. Constistency and no surprises. Every burger is exactly the same. (In fact, they are all made and shipped to each location, and cooked on the exact same type of stove.) But haunted houses depend on surprises. That's their main ingredient. We don't WANT to know what to expect, except that is should be a good surprise.

I have no urge to visit Disney in Paris or anywhere else, coz it will be just like the one in Orlando (only they will have funny French accents instead of funny Southern ones). Yes, the corporate guys can copy us, and they can steal our ideas and use them as their own. That's what corporate guys do. But the moment they copy and paste a good idea from town to town, it becomes old and stale, and their "new and innovative haunted house" suddenly becomes another Ripley's Believe It Or Not (old, not gold).

Good haunted houses reguire innovation and flexibility to change things from year to year and sometimes, from customer to customer. Corporations have a strict chain of command that HATES the little guy thinking for himself and making decisions on his own. If a corporation succeeds in the haunted house business, it won't be because of their successful corporate structure, it will be in SPITE of it.
                              www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
                              X