HHA Updates... Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHA Updates... Here we go!

HHA is underway. A new website is coming. A new logo is coming. A haunt directory just for members is coming. A PROVEN national public relations effort for the members is coming. Proven and Qualified leadership is coming from all corners of this industry is coming.

And last but not least a PLAN with clear objectives will be outlined to make your business grow, and to help you prosper. A single voice for all haunted house owners and operators is on the way folks.

The first board will be announced withing days. The unveil of the new website again within days... and the whole plan will be lined out prior to and during the 2009 Transworld Show.

There will be the first ever meeting for HHA at Transworld on Friday Night at 6pm.

HHA will have its own booth at Transworld to sign up members. Our goal is to be 1,000 Halloween Attractions STRONG within our first 18 months. Bylaws will be written soon, the association is on its way to setting up its first bank account, and a treasurer is already in place.

America Haunts PROVED good things can happen for all when you work together, now America Haunts is turning over their leadership and PR effort to THIS INDUSTRY!

More on all of this come soon...

NOW we would like to know your thoughts about what you would like to see a haunt association do for you!!! What do you think we as an industry can do that we can actually do as single business owners.

Your input is considered valuable.

Thanks
    Larry
    Attached Files
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Board?

Is this a slate for elections?

I don't recall getting a ballot.

The rest of the announcement sounds good. Details will be anticipated.

Is that a train whistle in the distance?
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff Larry, I recieved my member card and the latest issue of HW mag... thanks!

What'd I'd like to see? Maybe a full scale internet marketing campaign... like:

-Frontpage of myspace, background and auto-play video
      -Ads on other online communities
      -Stories on national sites like, CNN.com, MSNBC.com, MSN, Yahoo, etc. etc. All front/home page stuff!
      -A youtube channel featuring videos from member haunts and other "cool" industry videos... something to really show us off!

Also, I'd obviously like to see more more TV programs produced, like America's Scariest Haunted Attractions and maybe an America Haunts 2! Maybe a show called "Halloween Tech"... talks all about the "tech" of our industry from the big animations, talking skulls/projection bust, CGI effects, triggers/pads, audio systems, lighting systems, etc. etc. etc... something that could be aired on the Discovery Channel!

Thanks for the updates Larry! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I think this should ONLY be for pro haunters, that is people who have or run a haunt that was open this past season at least and can prove it if need be.

Nothing against home haunters or enthusiasts or people wanting to eventually own a haunt but to be a serious association that is designed to push the industry forward on a level of national respect and acceptance there needs to be a separation, not just anyone should be allowed membership like other associations...

Darkangel

Comment

^ On that note, maybe a submission of a business license! -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Yeah, active website too if there is any question.

Comment

A business license for something that only operates for charity for 2 weeks out of the year? You want to make sure everyone has sperate haunt bank accounts? Make sure everyone is at least being monitored for sales taxes like the regional gypsy pest control guy?

Do you have a business license? The next step would be bonded? Insured to some specific level, have a workmans comp certificate, an Federal Empoyers ID.

Maybe the Texas Agriculural department can come measure my square feet and put a sticker on the front door saying it is in deed so many square foot and worth $10 per ticket? Have you seen the guys who run around in trucks with gallon pails to make sure you are getting a gallon of gas when the meter says gallon on the pump?

I would hope after everyone spent thousands complying with paperwork, the world of taxation and the unemployment system they would at least get a decoder ring.

Are you living in a township where you have fire ambulance and police that are paid for by the taxes you pay? You call one number an your call is directed?

Is there only one business entity involved in your various events? Do they have someone on staff to make sure their membership requirements are being met and maintained?

Is the new Haunt organization an insurance provider? Are they going to offer a better rate that what we already have?

Is there some real authority involved here or are we just making up rules?

How about we don't want anyone on the board that has not been part of an attraction or event for 10 years.

Anyone can spend about $1500 and pretend to be in business even have business cars printed up and all these government forms filled out yet has never operated, owned or acted in a haunted event. Even though my haunt made very little profit last year, I could get a picture of me infront of my hearse holding a black American express card and making some gang sign. Could I be someone then? Would a runner up be appointed in case I can't fulfill my duties? Is there a swim sut competition? I think only hot babes should be on the board.

Wait until you are over 50 years old and you will have the same opinion of everyone and their little self appointed rules making them so important when it has nothing to do with anything except wasting peoples time proving they are somebody.

As an entrepuenure if I need a professional engineer, I buy the service of one. If I need an attorney I call one. If I need termites to be gone I call a termite guy. I'm not really licensed to make these phone calls so maybe I'm not really qualified to have a telephone. It's okay though anyone can get an Internet connection and have a how to make money on line website. You could be sleeping under a piece of cardboard in Kenya as long as you pay the Internet Cafe guy $10. Or you can use the free computer a few minutes every day at the public library.

You could put up a haunted webste and get college credit in a communications class.

Until I see some real purpose, no one is going to see what I look like.
              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

OK Greg so everyone can join and we'll have IAHA version 2! Do we want to be taken seriously or not? Having a haunt enthusiast or haunt actor speak on behalf of large, major haunted attractions, even medium or small PRO haunts is ridiculous. This industry has been there and done that Greg, isn't this supposed to be different from the outset?
                Last edited by Darkangel; 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Problems already

I would like to think that as long as you are a Haunt owner/operator, you will qualify as a member. A person also may want to consider what proof he is willing to make public as a lot of cash is handled when the IRS can be very nosey.

Is this to be a "statu quo" membership or an organization that works for everyone. Every haunter out there started out small and while some may stay that way as others grow, they shouldn't be left out because they aren't "big enough" or suspected of not being the real thing. Who decides this?

It's hard for everyone to agree, even harder when it's a state to state business with different laws. But I always believe that no one person is above another,
                  and you want membership to be what? A gross income of so many $$ and proof of it? That's what it all comes down to with this statu quo membership.
                  I'm not in disagreement of qualify members only, but need to be careful on how this would be choosen.

Jim @ Colwood

Comment

Jim it's not about how much you make or how big your haunt is, it should matter if you are even a haunter at all, as in owning or running a haunt. That's all I'm saying. If you own or run a haunt that's great. If you don't yet and someday want to, wait until then to join isn't that only fair? The only staus quo should be if you have a haunt, if not join the other associations this one seems to be planned a bit more focused....

Darkangel

Comment

Anyone can join from a haunt owner to a would be haunt owner, an amusement park, who knows who will be the next haunted house owner? We don't know you don't know... however to serve on the board you will need to be a haunted house owner/operator, meaning you could say be the operator and not the owner for example look at Six Flags or Tampa Busch Gardens as prime examples, or the head of a major charity organization event...blah, blah.

But there will be certain requipments to run for this board, such as experience, references, there will be a strict nomination committee that will review all of this. If this industry is a half to one billion dollar industry, do we want a new attraction just learning the ropes or for example a home haunter sitting on the board helping steer an organization that reprsents a half a billion dollars? NO WE DO NOT! If this assocation raises a quarter of a million dollars per year to run this organization do you want it wasted on things that do NOT impact your business directly?

NO YOU DO NOT... this is why there will be guidlines to control all of this stuff. We do not want this group to fall into the same potholes as the other group. What YOU WANT as a haunted house owner is successful attempts to improve the awareness of your business, to champion your industry, to help keep us all safe and to speak for us all in times of need or crisis.

Do we really want our money spend on handbags, or the endless amounts of other things we can all buy ourselves or do we want RESULTS?

As for the first board, the first board is being put together to write the bylaws, to get everything together for the first showing at Transworld. Elections will happen but they can't happen until the bylaws are written and a nomination process is created. You don't want me doing all this stuff by myself, you want a group of haunters who represent a diverse background of this industry. That is what we are trying to put together so we can launch this thing right the first time... from there this industry will decide its fate.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

You could also separate your membership into levels.
                        And to be in one of those levels you have to meet certain criteria for each level.
                        That way you can allow anyone who has an interest in haunting be allowed to join, but you have to be at a certain skill or experience level to be a decision maker, board member etc....
                        It would allow everyone to have input.
                        Kevin R. Alvey
                        info at gore-galore.com
                        www.gore-galore.com
                        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Kevin,

I think that is the plan to have two levels of membership. This is very needed step. Good advice! Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

HEY EVERYONE ... ANY COMMENTS ON THE NEW LOGO?

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

You are very welcome,
                              I think Ben and I spoke about this way back.

And the logo is great.

Something also to think about. I know a board needs to be selected to help get the mission statement and bylaws in order, but you might also want to consider having a new board elected by membership soon following.

that way no one can say it isn't being done democratically
                              Kevin R. Alvey
                              info at gore-galore.com
                              www.gore-galore.com
                              www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                              www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                              www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X