No announcement yet.

Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm video would work. But if you want video http://halloweentheatre.com/ buy from these guys. Im more of a hands on teacher and a lot of my exercises i need to be there to make sure its goin down right. These guys are excellent though. They teach some fundamentals that will help. But yeah considering your flexibility. Be a lurcher, hunch your back. Contortion yourself. Limp towards people. Drag one of your legs when you walk. Grunt, snore, growl. While walking. Then when limping burst into a sudden skip, then a run. And just be crazy. However thats what i would do. Muttering while you walk creeps people out a lot as well.

Comment

• And I think your suggestion would actually be perfect for the character I'm working on right now. I really think that would be fun.
      Do you have any tips to get your vocal chords into shape to withstand the endless hours of torture? Also, do you have any tips to help you save your vocal chords: like drinking warm drinks?
      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Dont drink dairy if you can help it. It tightens the vocal chords. I scream for about 10 minutes straight as long as i can hold it every night for about a month before the season starts to train. I suggest warm water to warm them up, then just normal water when your in the haunt should work. If your working in cold environtment then the warm water is a must. If not, then not so much. But once again i would stay away from the dairy.

Comment

• I've learned the hard way that dairy is not active person friendly. One time, in band camp (yes, a lot of my stories start that way), I had cereal and milk. Well, later that day, I had conditioning ( basically just working out all day preparing for the marching season). I ended up getting horribly sick. I realize it is for different reasons, but the tip reminded me of that story. XD

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I really appreciate all the help you've provided.
          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Yeah sure, Im here to help. Also dont talk the next day if you can help it. Just rest your voice. If you manage not to talk for a whole day after screaming your lungs out you probably will be able to do it again.

Comment

• Oh crap. I was planning on Scare acting on Saturday and then going to church the next day. Then again, I may get kicked out of church if I start a haunt. Oh well. I don't see anything wrong with haunts so I won't worry about it. At the same time, I won't be that busy most of the ime, so I may just run on Friday nights for my first year.
              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
                And you dont need to know someoens name to make them cry. . . Its all in yoru demeanor. My and my acting brother. Both in no shoes stand 6'2 and 6'3 so add boots we are pretty tall. About 6'5. Then add clown costumes, and he has a saw (Which half the time he doesnt even have to start) we just stand there meancingly we and a quarter of the people just refuse to enter. Its all in your body and voice, and facial. Learn a stance that intimidates, one that makes people wary of approaching you.
                I can *so* vouch for this. When I went to House of Torment in Austin, one of the most memorable moments for me was entering a room (an "abandoned" butcher shop) and finding a guy standing directly in front of the door - the door through which I needed to exit!

I remember thinking, "Heh. WTF am I going to do?" I looked around at my friend, hoping for an answer, and all she did was shrink farther behind me. (Gee, thanks!)

What made it great, too, was that the guy did not move. Not for several seconds, anyway. It was disturbing!!

Those few seconds were so memorable to me, I think, because it was "me against him." It was like he was daring me. "So whatcha gonna do 'bout it?" And honestly, I had no clue!

I'll never forget that room, or the short time I spent in it. That's saying a lot, considering what an amazing haunt House of Torments is.

Sarah
                Sarah Meier
                Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                "Words they remember you by"

Comment

• Combine fund raising with getting stuff for the haunt. Have a huge garage sale (or two) in the summer. Get free advertising in the local papers. Put in notices about collecting stuff for sale and then put in ads for the sale.

You need a place to store your stuff while you collect it for the sale. (back yard with some tarps would work). When people call, have them deliver their stuff to you.

My experience is that the people giving away their garage sale left overs don't care why you are collecting. They are just grateful that someone will take the stuff.

Don't worry that you will get only junk.

In our small town there can be as many as 80 garage sales in one weekend. Lots of those guys don't get much traffic. Some are way too overpriced and have a lot of left overs. Some people won't even bother wtih a sale. When they figure out how much work it is they will just gie it to you.

Lots of info on how to have a profitable sale on line.

The nice side benefit is that you will get things that can be used as props in your haunt. Old tables, lamps, pictures. Lots of stuff you can "age" and "decorate."

Comment

• Designing/Building/Opening a haunt takes alot of time and money..Alot of both but more so, time. You must truly be able to dedicate yourself to making it happen, and it will. I would suggest going for a haunted trail to begin with as oppose to the haunted house. A trail is a good way to start off in the industry if your money/time/work consumed.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply Night. Now that I know even more about this industry, I have realized I'll be lucky to even have a one-room haunt my first year with all of the codes that you have to follow. One thing that I think would be hard to do would be getting everything set-up and put back into storage each night. I was thinking maybe I can completely empty out my garage and set-up a "donation" haunt in it. In other words, tell people that it's free, but say that donations are more than welcome. I don't know what the "proper" name would be, but I think what I said makes sense.

Which leads me to another question:
                      When setting up a "haunt" in the style I just described, do you think it would be worth paying for advertising? Or would it be better to just stick to having fliers and word-of-mouth?
                      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Advertise..

I was in NY a ocuple months ago and there was a comedy group walking around in santa outifts handing out fliers for the show. People were drawn to these people and they made it on the news that day. I plan on doing somthing like that for the haunt but with people in costumes. (Cost fliers)

Advertise on myspace/facebook. (free)
                        Schools. Have an art class design a room. (free)

You can have a school weekend. Where a % of the ticket sales would go to the art class at the school. Around here there are lots of schools and lots of kids. Schools will hand out fliers for you. Its a "WIN WIN" for everyone.

Keep up your haunt.

Peter
                        FS

www.myspace.com/fablesstudiosllc
                        www.FablesStudios.com
                        Fables Studios
                        Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Working...
                        X