Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

I am wanting to start up my own haunted house. I realize that, with me being 13, it will be incredibly difficult. Here's a few questions I've got:
    -What are some good ways of lighting your scenes? Ex:Mini-barrel LED spotlights, stage lights, etc.
    -What are some of your favorite scare tactics?
    -Should the use of illusions be used in first year haunts?
    -Please tell me anything I need to buy (besides wood for wall panels), should consider buying, and need to plan on buying in the future.
    -What do you do with the floors in your haunt?
    Do you just leave them as is, or do you try to have them match the theme of the room? If you theme the floors, how do you do it?
    -Have you ever bought any FX Lens from Vampfangs? If you have, please tell me how the process was and about the quality of the lens.
    -Also, if anyone has anything they don't need anymore that can be used in a haunt, please either PM me or e-mail me (tchaunt@yahoo.com) and I can give you more info.
    -What are some things I could do the first year to leave a good impression on the customers, but still save money?
    -Is it a good idea to start a business with one of your closest friends? My friend is really into haunts and loves everything about them. But I'm not sure it would be that smart of an idea to run a business with a friend. Anyone have any tips?
    -Also, where do you get most of your make-up? Dollar tree, or, on the other side of the price spectrum, hollywood studios?
    -What brands of make-up last through heavy sweating? I am wanting to scare act at least some nights in my haunt, but I sweat like a pig...and a horse, and a cow...all in one. I'm wondering what I should do. Any advice will be appreciated.
    -What do you do for your finale? Like, what do you do for the very last room in your haunt?

I will gladly accept any advice. I realize I probably won't be able to have a haunt up and running by next season, but I do want to start planning for when I do have the opportunity to create it.
    Last edited by tchaunt; 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM. Reason: Added a few questions
    ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
    Campbellsville, KY

Well TC I think you need to start by volunteering in a haunt close to where you live. Because of your age most haunts CANT hire you. Contact your nearby haunts and ask them if there is any way for you to be an apprentice. If they say yes learn all you can from these generous guys. Pay close attention to the way they do things and learn from their sucesses and their mistakes. Starting a haunt is a huge undertaking so in my opinion work with the haunts around you and learn all the things first hand that you are wanting to know the answers to. Thats where I would start. Good luck young man you are the future of our industry! Greg
    Greg Allen
    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Well TC I think you need to start by volunteering in a haunt close to where you live. Because of your age most haunts CANT hire you. Contact your nearby haunts and ask them if there is any way for you to be an apprentice. If they say yes learn all you can from these generous guys. Pay close attention to the way they do things and learn from their sucesses and their mistakes. Starting a haunt is a huge undertaking so in my opinion work with the haunts around you and learn all the things first hand that you are wanting to know the answers to. Thats where I would start. Good luck young man you are the future of our industry! Greg
      That's the problem. Most sites say "work at local haunts to gain experience." Sadly, here in my part of Kentucky, there are no haunts (at least none that I know of). And I'm pretty sure my parents won't take me to Lexington each night to scare act.

Edit: I have managed to learn about a few haunts in my area....none of them are places I would want to be affiliated with.
      Last edited by tchaunt; 01-01-2009, 12:09 PM.
      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Start of small dont even try to get a premises for your first season. Start small and get progressively bigger, start out as a home haunt. Thats how the pirate of emmerson started out i believe...and look where they are now! Great haunted House im a huge fan! I mean By the time your 18 if you got steadily bigger you should have a pretty decent sized and decent haunted house. As to finding actors look on forums like this one...the internet will probably end up being your greatest tool. What with myspace, yourspace and what nots all the spaces floating around the web these days. Make a website! Get news of your small home haunt out there, make going to your haunt a tradition. I would drive out there and help you out (Im in san diego) But thats not in the budget right now. But hey if your still in the business in 5 years im planning a road trip where im intending to act in haunted houses around the world. I will probably swing by you...if your still in business in 5 years. Hahaha But if you are give me an email at DementedEntertainment@yahoo.com and it would be an honour to scare for you!

Comment

Ad Vise

Save your money. Figure out how much actual time you can devote to this , over the next several YEARS. (How does time feel to you as it is passing?)
          If you wish to sort of figure out what this business/project will be like, think of it as you are setting out to build a house yourself but you have no experience or tools and you will have to be figuring it all out as you go.
          Now, the first thing you buy if you don't have one is a piece of wet string.
          I can sell you a piece, professionally wetted by the best in the business, only $14.95 per/inch, I presently have a special interductory offer, pay for a mile, I'll give you an inch!!!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Looks like some good advice for the other posts already. Sounds like you have a lot of ambition which is great! What you will probably find as you go through life, is most of the time you either have one or the other, time or money, so make good use of the time you have and do what you can.

One thing that is just as important as the scare side of haunting is the business side. You might want to get Kelly Allen’s book talked about in this thread below. His book is easy to understand and would always be a good future reference for you.

http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_...ead.php?t=6723

Good luck in your endeavors!

Regards,
            Jeff Londos
            Monster-Tronics
            Innovators in Haunt Technologies
            www.Monster-Tronics.com
            See us in St. Louis at TransWorld’s National Haunt & Attractions
            Show, booth 714, March 27th -29th 2009
            Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
            www.halloweenhauntvendors.com
            www.youtube.com/MonsterTronics
            Regards,
            Jeff Londos
            Monster-Tronics
            Innovators in Haunt Technologies
            www.Monster-Tronics.com
            Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Monster-Tronics:
              I was actually looking into buying that book. From the looks of it, it will be useful.

Jim:
              Um.......what exactly did you wet the string with? Hopefully someone's (or something's) body fluid.

Dr. Giggles:
              5 years from now would be perfect for me to start a pro. haunt because I'll finally be out of school. It would be an honor for you to come and scare act for me.
              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Some ideas for funds:

1. Get a couple friends together and host a car wash this spring and summer. You may need a permit from your city, but you can check local codes. Try a local business and see if they’ll let you use their water spigot—probably for a small fee. Assuming you attend, your local church may allow you to use theirs for free.

2. Do a door-to-do fundraiser selling gourmet or specialty chocolate bars. If you have a local Sam’s Club, you can buy in bulk and sell individual bars at a slight profit, or find an on-line chocolate importer to buy from.

3. Start an on-line fundraiser site---check out http://www.snowzilla.org ---this guy has raised some money from across the country for something so silly. Your biggest challenge will be to get the word out, but that’s what MySpace and Craigslist are for.

4. eBay, eBay, eBay---what stuff do you have laying around that you or your family no longer need? Same applies for flea markets.

Your best selling point is that you’re a 13 yr old entrepreneur--- use that to your advantage and explain your goals and intentions if you use any of these suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by stonegate View Post
                  Some ideas for funds:

1. Get a couple friends together and host a car wash this spring and summer. You may need a permit from your city, but you can check local codes. Try a local business and see if they’ll let you use their water spigot—probably for a small fee. Assuming you attend, your local church may allow you to use theirs for free.

2. Do a door-to-do fundraiser selling gourmet or specialty chocolate bars. If you have a local Sam’s Club, you can buy in bulk and sell individual bars at a slight profit, or find an on-line chocolate importer to buy from.

3. Start an on-line fundraiser site---check out http://www.snowzilla.org ---this guy has raised some money from across the country for something so silly. Your biggest challenge will be to get the word out, but that’s what MySpace and Craigslist are for.

4. eBay, eBay, eBay---what stuff do you have laying around that you or your family no longer need? Same applies for flea markets.

Your best selling point is that you’re a 13 yr old entrepreneur--- use that to your advantage and explain your goals and intentions if you use any of these suggestions.
                  Great suggestions! I was so caught up on fundraiser packages that you buy online that I forgot completely about the simple things. Thanks so much.
                  ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                  Campbellsville, KY

Comment

If all else fails..

Ask Grandma for the money.
                    Don't just take it out of her purse!

I had to ask people I really didn't know and I was not related to.
                    (I left their purses alone)
                    They did "know" me , somewhat, they had know my Father for many years and maybe they even had known my Grandfather?
                    We had done work for them and they knew I was ambitious and honest.
                    The one man loaned me money to save this house from being bulldozed down.
                    His Grandfather had a history with this house back in the 1880's when it was "Mother Nohe's Tavern", a location offering food, drink, a bed, stables for your horses and a wild party atmosphere...I guess?

(My Ex and myself did hear their echos a couple of times coming from the other side of the wall at 2am, sounded like a whole room full of people talking, singing, laughing...of course when I got there the room was quiet and empty...it's a haunted house.)
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                      Ask Grandma for the money.
                      Don't just take it out of her purse!

I had to ask people I really didn't know and I was not related to.
                      (I left their purses alone)
                      They did "know" me , somewhat, they had know my Father for many years and maybe they even had known my Grandfather?
                      We had done work for them and they knew I was ambitious and honest.
                      The one man loaned me money to save this house from being bulldozed down.
                      His Grandfather had a history with this house back in the 1880's when it was "Mother Nohe's Tavern", a location offering food, drink, a bed, stables for your horses and a wild party atmosphere...I guess?

(My Ex and myself did hear their echos a couple of times coming from the other side of the wall at 2am, sounded like a whole room full of people talking, singing, laughing...of course when I got there the room was quiet and empty...it's a haunted house.)
                      Heh. I wish. Though my grandma and grandpa are multi-millionaires, I probably won't get a cent of it for a haunt. They both want to save as much money as possible. I mean, they may give in, but they probably won't.
                      I decided to attempt some personal fund raisers with my friends who want to help start the haunt. It will be hard raising money with fund raisers because I am in band (in school). They fundraise the crap out of us. In such a rural area, there are only so many times the same people will buy stuff from you.
                      ________
                      What better place to set up a haunted tour than a haunted house?!? I mean, the atmosphere would be there without you having to do much of anything. My house is slightly haunted. We always thought it was just high emf's in the basement making us feel.......not-so-alone. Almost 7 years ago (when I was 6), we had a family reunion. We took tons of pictures in the basement (where everyone was eating at). In a corner where most anyone couldn't fit, a boy (who we had never seen before), appeared in this picture. It was clear enough to tell he had on a UK Wildcat sweatshirt and had a 70's hair cut. Whats odd about it is that the boy is slightly hazy.
                      In the scene, my sister and cousin were fighting about food. The boy was looking right at them in a caring face (like he knew them personally) laughing. It was odd, but comforting knowing whatever is in the basement (not necessarily a ghost) was friendly to a certain extent. We believe he is an intelligent apparition.

I also managed to have a set of haunted antique beds. The energy attached to them was much more negative. The apparition was shadowy and almost demonic in stature. I tore my bed apart and put it in the garage. My sister kept her's. The weird thing is, I'm not the only one to notice the negative energy. My sister's cat used to look in my room and just hiss. She would never come into my room. As soon as I took the bed out, she stayed in my room all the time and wouldn't spend time in my sister's room. I personally can't even go into my sister's room by myself because the energy is so intensely negative. I think this apparition is an intelligent apparition who has its energy attached to the beds.
                      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Sell stuff on ebay...that was very good advice. Thats how i afforded my corpse skin from spookywoodsfx.com and my custom clown costume! Its great. I mean if you sell random funny stuff on ebay people WILL buy it. My mate once sold a Q-tip for roughly 25 bucks! Isnt that ridiculous? People will think its funny and bid on it...so go out and buy yourself a bag of q tips! Go on!

Comment

I agree with the start small statement. I have been doing my home haunt for four years and we grow more and more each year. I too, would like to go pro sooner or later, but we'll see how things turn out. I'd love to help you out, I'm always here for my fellow haunters! Check out my site and read my "About Us" page to see how we got our start. Good luck!
                          Zach Wiechmann
                          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

I once saw someone buy a Q-tip for 80-some bucks. It amazed me. I may actually try to sell random stuff to get the money.
                            Last edited by tchaunt; 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM.
                            ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                            Campbellsville, KY

Comment

See? Sell other things in you rroom that your sick of/dont want/ dont really care for anymore and the mony will start rolling in. I mean i used to have roughly 10,000 books and now i only have 8,000 but the ones i sold made me about 6,000. So as much as i am depressed to give up my literature it had to be done...for the good of the haunt!

Comment

Working...
                              X