Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
    I agree with the start small statement. I have been doing my home haunt for four years and we grow more and more each year. I too, would like to go pro sooner or later, but we'll see how things turn out. I'd love to help you out, I'm always here for my fellow haunters! Check out my site and read my "About Us" page to see how we got our start. Good luck!
    The sad thing is, I can't really do a home haunt either. My house is a poorly-planned tri-level from Hell. I really wouldn't mind if it went back to Hell as long as I wasn't in it.
    Anyway, the house wouldn't be very good for even a cruddy-haunt. I've got a 2 1/2 car garage. I asked my parents if I could use it for the haunt, but they said they didn't want to get stuck in a law suit. In other words, life hates me.
    ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
    Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
      See? Sell other things in you rroom that your sick of/dont want/ dont really care for anymore and the mony will start rolling in. I mean i used to have roughly 10,000 books and now i only have 8,000 but the ones i sold made me about 6,000. So as much as i am depressed to give up my literature it had to be done...for the good of the haunt!
      S***! I just gave most of my books away to Goodwill. I should march up to their doors and demand my books back. XD Oh well. I'll settle for a box o' q-tips.
      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

You could always be a charity haunt. I mean you get to make people cry AND you are doing it for a good cause. You could get sponsors this way.

Comment

You could always be a charity haunt. I mean you get to make people cry AND you are doing it for a good cause. You could get sponsors this way.
          So.....how do I go about doing that? Do I just say "Cyco Psyrcus (made up a name off the top of my head): Proud sponsor of TC Drama Club"? Do I still have to pay actors minimum wage if I decide to do a charity haunt?
          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Ok well i suppose this depends on your actors and how dedicated they are. As charity haunts is non profit all the money goes towards some charity of a sort, so i would imagine the actors would be volunteers, but hey if they are passionate about it they wouldnt mind! But yeah you declare yourself a charity organization and ask maybe a lumber yard if they could sponsor you and what not for wood. And maybe ask someone with a lot of land if you could use it. But please be sure to give your sponsors attention remember this is a business, atLEAST send them a thank you card hahahahaah.

Comment

Ok well i suppose this depends on your actors and how dedicated they are. As charity haunts is non profit all the money goes towards some charity of a sort, so i would imagine the actors would be volunteers, but hey if they are passionate about it they wouldnt mind! But yeah you declare yourself a charity organization and ask maybe a lumber yard if they could sponsor you and what not for wood. And maybe ask someone with a lot of land if you could use it. But please be sure to give your sponsors attention remember this is a business, atLEAST send them a thank you card hahahahaah.
              So, basically, it's the same as doing a pro haunt.....just easier to get donations?
              How do you decide how much to give the charity since you have to save at least $5K for the next season? From what I've heard, haunts are lucky to break even the first year.

If the charity haunt really takes off and gets popular, can I just convert to a pro haunt between 2 seasons?

Thanks for answering all these questions.
              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

In theory...Yes you can switch to pro haunt once you get some experience under your belt but it would be pretty difficult because you would have to change your business listing and licenses and all that. Then you would have to start paying taxes and your employee's and it would all start getting crazy. So i would suggest starting out as one or the other, and sticking with it.

Comment

In theory...Yes you can switch to pro haunt once you get some experience under your belt but it would be pretty difficult because you would have to change your business listing and licenses and all that. Then you would have to start paying taxes and your employee's and it would all start getting crazy. So i would suggest starting out as one or the other, and sticking with it.
                  Okay. That does make sense.

Going back to my previous post, how do you decide how much money to give the group you are working for?
                  ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                  Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Mmm i think that depends on the arrangement you have with each charity. Also i think depending on how much you give the selected charity(s) will determine who wants to sponsor you and who will sponsor you. Also when looking to get sponsored dont just limit yourself to hauntedhouse production companies. Like the Haunted Trails of Balboa park where i acted last year, they are sponsored by radio stations and carls jr. and all these other things. Like for example in exchange for getting sponsored by 93.3 they will give the whole radio station free tickets to go inside. And this will get them radioa commercials and broadcasts froom said haunt. Now i dont know if thats how they worked it out but thats something you could do.

Comment

Mmm i think that depends on the arrangement you have with each charity. Also i think depending on how much you give the selected charity(s) will determine who wants to sponsor you and who will sponsor you. Also when looking to get sponsored dont just limit yourself to hauntedhouse production companies. Like the Haunted Trails of Balboa park where i acted last year, they are sponsored by radio stations and carls jr. and all these other things. Like for example in exchange for getting sponsored by 93.3 they will give the whole radio station free tickets to go inside. And this will get them radioa commercials and broadcasts froom said haunt. Now i dont know if thats how they worked it out but thats something you could do.
                      Generally, Q104 (the local top 40 music station) will provide free commercials for non-profit events. I could get plenty of advertising from them. When you acquire a sponsor, is it just a verbal agreement, or do you need to get a contract (I.e.: Do you need to get a contract proving sponsorship between the person supplying all of your wall materials).
                      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

I would form an contract. Just for safety reasons, i dont know how but you might end up getting screwed. Like they will say they will sponsor you and you will spend money you wouldnt have and then they would be like "What? We didnt say that" yeah its not a great feeling. But yes i would form a contract.

Comment

I would form an contract. Just for safety reasons, i dont know how but you might end up getting screwed. Like they will say they will sponsor you and you will spend money you wouldnt have and then they would be like "What? We didnt say that" yeah its not a great feeling. But yes i would form a contract.
                          Yet again, thanks for answering all these questions.
                          Just one last question, if I do go pro, can I run solely on volunteer scare actors? Or do all scare actors probably need to be paid?
                          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Once again it depends, if you make it known from the beginning that you are looking for VOLUNTEERS then no you dont have to. But if you dont pay your actors hold a BBQ at the end of the season or something, dont just have them scare for you then have em shove off because then they wont want to come back.

Comment

Once again it depends, if you make it known from the beginning that you are looking for VOLUNTEERS then no you dont have to. But if you dont pay your actors hold a BBQ at the end of the season or something, dont just have them scare for you then have em shove off because then they wont want to come back.
                              I was actually thinking something like that. I was actually thinking about having a meeting each January. Invite all make-up artists, scare actors, etc., that helped me last season or are going to help me in the upcoming season. I would have free food (something cheap like pizza) and drinks and lotsa' seats. After an hour or two of social time, the "meeting" would start. Everyone will get to talk about what they did and didn't like last season. They also get the opportunity to mention ideas for rooms and themes for the next season. You know, let everyone feel involved in the haunt.
                              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

I actually really like that idea! One thing you can do is you can buy these haunt awards...like little statuets and you can award one to the best actor of the season. But yeah i would suggest doing that gathering thing like 3-4 weeks after the haunt closes for the season not so much as 2-3 months later. Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X