Columbia Haunt Tour GETTING SCREWED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia Haunt Tour GETTING SCREWED?

Our haunt tour is set for Friday March 27. Transworld has called me on several occasions and asked me on behalf of IAHA to change the date so it did not interfier with the IAHA awards banquet. Transworld told me they could not sponsor our tour because of contractual obligations that forbid them from promoting anything other than the IAHA banquet. Heres the problem I have with this. I am a haunt owner this is OUR show. I have been to every show in Chicago since 1996. Have I ever been to ANY awards banquet ? NO! Party? NO! Never been nor do I care to go. I am there to buy haunt products and go to seminars to learn how to make my business grow. Do I go to haunted houses while I am there? YES!!!

I looked forward to going to Dreamreapers and the others EVERY year. This is where we learn and get ideas from each other. The average haunter doesnt have time to journey out across the country to see other haunts while the season is open. That is one reason we decided to open Fearfest and Necropolis for a tour. The Darkness is a great haunt but why not add more . Give the St Louis show a haunt to go to every night for entertainment. Now, here lies the problem... IAHA is limiting their attendance to the banquet to the first 200 people per Tim from IAHA.

I dont understand why if there is going to be THOUSANDS of HAUNTERS in St. Louis for the convention and they are ONLY allowing 200 people into their event then why wont they let Transworld promote our tour. I asked Jenn from Transworld this exact question and she said she would call me tomorrow after she talked to tim from IAHA. That was 2 days ago and no call yet! I dont mean to stir the pot but I think this is a load of crap! We are haunters and want to see haunts!!! I dont care who gets an award for what. What do you learn? Nothing!

These conventions are a rare time for us as haunters to gather in one spot and teach each other the howto's about haunting! IAHA wants members? well theyre not getting my membership! YOU DONT SUPPORT MY HAUNT WHY SHOULD I SUPPORT YOU? The HHA has my vote! If they cant get 200 people to go to their banquet then I think it is obvious that no one wants to go. When there are only 200 people that can attend IAHAs banquet. What are the other several thousand haunters going to do for entertainment? Can't there be more than one option? This contractual obligation makes no sense. Our tour WILL happen with or without Transworld and IAHA's approval!! If your like me the tour is a learning experience you wont want to miss. Transworld says our busses cant pick up at the convention center. Its PUBLIC property oh yes they can!! Why can't they sponsor both events? We have great sponsors for this tour Hauntworld, HHA, Rogues hollow and Click N Print. They are sponsoring us so why not Transworld? If the IAHA wants to increase its membership they sure have a funny way of showing it! Thousands will be there but only 200 get to go but nope you cant promote anything else because we said so! Hmmm You do the math and tell me whats wrong with this picture.Why are they trying so hard to prevent this haunt tour from happening? Is this just another way for Transworld to screw the haunters? Or is it the IAHA?
    Last edited by N2SPOOKINU; 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM.
    Greg Allen
    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
    www.andersonfarms.com

Yes very very frustrating. I must agree with you 110%... you can't learn anything about your business at some awards banquet, or a party if that is what it is and some turkey sandwich.

I have stressed to VENDORS over the past few weks the importance of going to haunted houses and seeing them in person. Hey I would love to visit a ton of haunted houses in October but its not easy.

When you look at what MHC has lined up we're talking multiple tours. When we see what Hauntcon is planning what 6 to 8 different haunted houses... and Transworld doesn't want you to open or IAHA doesn't want you to open that is just outragous.

I personally told Transworld and the entire advisory board for this show that HAUNTERS PREFER visiting haunts over things like something like this... people have come together from all over the country, and in some cases all over the World. They come to BUY NEW STUFF, TALK BUSINESS, LEARN NEW THINGS and SEE HAUNTS.

DO YOU WANT TO HEAR THE IRONIC PART.

The President of IAHA wanted to get their own tour going in St. Louis, and I was told to try to damage the Darkness tour. They called around to see if there was any haunts to tour, and in fact thought about a BUS TOUR TO BRANSON to compete with our tour.

So somehow that is OKAY... but you guys doing a tour is NOT?

Also IAHA actually put TW up to asking me if I would MOVE my haunt tour to Friday so they could have their party on Saturday. Then other people on behalf of IAHA called me asked me the same thing, and actually got upset with me because I wouldn't be a 'TEAM PLAYER' because I wouldn't let IAHA have their event on Saturday. I said look have your party on Saturday I don't care... the people who want to attend will and the people who don't won't.

So they have the audacity to ask you to change your tour to Sunday, and when you wont' they want to squash you. They basically did the same thing to me...don't sweat it you are in good company.

Bottom line is Transworld should support you, vendors should support you, you buy their products, you will be a potential buyer at Transworld.

I hope the focus is on that aspect more so than our tour, your tour and well a party where the organizers have tried everything they can to squash my tour, your tour, tried to plan their own tours, and somehow want us to believe they are at the center of our universe.

Haunts will stick to supporting haunted house owners like you guys! I hope everyone goes on your tour and I mean everyone top to bottom!

I hope that Transworld realizes what a grave error they have made and turns the corner on this.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I have had a big problem with Transworld Exhibits, Inc for several years, for this very reason. They consistently refuse to advertise for or acknowledge any haunt-related events that they themselves haven’t organized. This includes practically ALL after-hours events or gatherings, including the haunt tours of Dream Reapers, Nightmares: Basement of the Dead and others. In fact, the Darkness is the only haunt tour they have ever promoted on their website.

The funny thing is, even with events they organize and endorse, they always wait until the last minute to announce information and their website is rarely updated, if ever.

Whether it is celebrity appearances, haunt tours that they don’t endorse, costume balls, social gatherings or any other side-events, Transworld just won’t promote them. With such a close-minded and lackluster attitude about their own trade show, it’s a wonder any of them are a success. If they want an example of how someone should advertise for a convention, they should take a look at the website for MHC. Over the years, Barry has done an awesome job of detailing out information related to MHC seminars, haunt tours, vendors, registration, lodging, social events and every other aspect of his show.

So, why have I spent the time over the past several years to put together a Transworld information page, when Transworld has its own website??? Basically because Transworld Exhibits, Inc has dropped the ball and because people need to know all the details, not just a select few.

By the way Greg, I’ve added your tour to MY Transworld info page for this year:

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/2009transworldhauntshow.php
      Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
      Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Adam, I went to Haunted Illinois. Thank you for the posting. I talked to Rogues Hollow last night . The website will be up soon to purchase tickets for the show. Click n Print will be providing the online ticket sales. Hauntworld is providing a free magazine for everyone on the busses as well. Thanks again for your comments. I dont understand why the haunt industry is treated like this. Like I said HAUNTERS WANT TO SEE HAUNTS! Greg
        Greg Allen
        scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
        www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

A little confused here

Ok, I'm a little confused. I've gotten more information on the Columbia haunt tour, here on these message boards, then I've receive anywhere else about the IAHA event. I've seen postings that say the IAHA party/banquet is going to possibly be at the Lemp Mansion, if they can work it out. I still don't know what time it's supposed to be (maybe I missed it) and still don't know how much it's going to cost.

From what I understand the organizers/owners for the Columbia tour decided this a couple weeks ago, IAHA knew they were goingt to have their event a year ago. So, if there were no other factors as to what people wanted to do, most people have more information on the Columbia haunt tour, which as I said, was just planned a couple weeks ago.

Regardless, I agree, if IAHA is limiting their attendance to 200, then who cares. People from IAHA should get on the phone with the people they feel they would like at their event (at a minimum, their members), and sell some tickets and get commitments. There's still going to be plenty of people who either don't want to go to the IAHA event, or, who won't want to buy a ticket. They obviously want to get their message out and promote their event, and they should, so get it done, don't rely on these message boards or Transworld to do it for you. But also, stop worrying about what other's are doing.

Here's an idea though, why not do the IAHA event on Saturday? Obviously a lot of people are going to do the Darkness tour, but I don't think it would have any effect on the attendance of the IAHA event. The 200 or so that are going to be at the IAHA event may also buy their timed ticket to the Darkness (I understand it's near by) and excuse themselves for a bit while they go do the tour. For example, if people care to do both, they have their dinner, buy a timed ticket for after dinner, then go back to the IAHA event. It seems that the IAHA/HHVA/Creative Visions event is going to be an all night thing, so I see no reason why people couldn't do both, if they chose too. It seems the only reason they don't want the Columbia tour on the same night is that it is 2 hours away, so 4 hours of travel time means people will be gone for most of the night.

I realize this may all sound good in theory, and that there are other forces at play here, and that this idea is probably not an option at this time, but my point is this. People will do what they want, and as stated earlier, even with 200 people going to the IAHA event, plenty of people will be doing nothing, and available to go on the haunt tour. Also, not everyone who is going to the IAHA event wants to go on the Darkness tour, and vice versa.

Like I said, I think what IAHA is concerned with is getting attendance at their event, and getting their message out for the coming year, and they are unecessarily concerned with what other events are going on. It's IAHA's job to get the word out about their event, and get people there. From what I've seen in the past, they've relied, in large part, on this message board to get the word out on things. If they're so concerned with it, stop being passive, and take care of business, go out to your members, and get commitments, once you have your 200, who cares what anyone else does.

To the Columbia Tour, get your website up NOW, start selling your tickets, people will do what they want regardless, and once a formal site is up with the ability to buy tickets, people will make their decision. This is something IAHA could have done already if they were so concerned.

What's the old saying "lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine" IAHA should have had their details worked out long ago, if it was such an issue.

At this point, it looks like our people will be on the Columbia tour. I've stated on the boards, and other's have echoed the same thing. I don't get to see other haunted houses in October, so if there's the ability to see some, that's what I'm going to do. If the ability is there to do both a tour and the IAHA event I may very well do both.

In the end I think the Columbia tour will do just fine. I think the fact that some want to tell people what they can or cannot do may end up being to the Columbia tours benefit, I know I for one don't like people making decisions for me. I'll make my own decision, as I belive most will.

Chris
          Last edited by stafford; 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM.
          Chris Stafford
          1331 Entertainment Group
          Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
          13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
          13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Well, I THOUGHT we had this resolved with Transworld, but it seems that IAHA keeps pushing it. The bottom line is that our tour will happen with or without the support of Transworld. With the support of our sponsors (hauntworld, HHA, Rogue's Hollow and Click N Print) I know that it will be well attended. How does Transworld think this is going to look to the haunting community when they won't support our event? I am seriously doubting that I will attend Transworld after this season if this is how they treat haunters. I am definitely not going to be a member of IAHA ever again. Necropolis and FearFest are going to put on a great show for our fellow haunters, with or without Transworld.
            Bill C. Schnell
            Dark Son Productions
            NecroPlanet Haunted Attractions
            www.NecroPlanet.com

Comment

Hmmm

When Dream Reapers first opened for TW.......no one helped or pushed our event.

Let me repeat for the reading impared.....NO ONE HELPED US FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS
              Then everyone wanted to help when we proved it was something people wanted to do.
              Oh and of course if you share the proceeds......I bet the folks would push to help you!!!!

Welcome to haunt politics
              Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

From the time my first Transworld inspired visitors showed up here, to the several years the weather kept everyone away, I learned to adapt my expectations and consoled myself with the positive aspects of Transworlders not coming here.
                If I was just all about "the Money", I would have been upset but I realised , like Popeye says:"I yam what I yam!" And the advantages of being in my own quiet hometown, albeit far from population centers is a very nice thing most of the time.
                For instance last night 4 people showed up for the tour, one young woman has been coming here since she was seven years old, she's finishing college now, yet she was still screaming very shrilly several times in the tour.
                She and her three friends had quite a social time here with my Wife joining in, they were here for 4 hours. It was a very nice time for all.
                Unfortunately the tours I had to sometimes do for groups with a bus driver marking time were not always what I would have liked to have been giving the audience.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hi all,

I just spoke with Greg Allen directly. He's a really nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. We talked for about 20 minutes and compared a lot of notes as to who is hearing what from whom.
                  Without going into the specifics of our conversation, Greg and I both agreed that if he and I just talk directly without all the outside speculation, interference and unnecessary fanning of the flames, the minor conflicts that exist can be resolved very quickly.

I would also make this offer to anyone else; if you have questions about anything that I have posted or you find that you are getting confused by some of the misinformation that continues to be put out there, please feel free to contact me directly at (949) 709-0724. I will do my best to answer all your questions.

Scream as One,
                  Tim Turner, IAHA Trade Show Liaison

Comment

Only 200 people are allowed in, they are afraid that no one will show up and they will have all those turkey sandwitches and coleslaw left.lol.
                    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Tim,

That is kinda funny comment from you because once these guys posted about how they wanted to do a tour you called them and you told them to move their tour to Sunday. Furthermore you called them again and told them Transworld would NEVER support them.

Bottom line you have personally done more to hurt your own company, IAHA and cause a lot of drama for the show. Bottom line is this tour is happening there is nothing you can do about that.

You personally trying to get Transworld to hurt these guys in everyway possible is just something I can't believe. I think its time for you someone who's not a haunt owner and someone who wants to sell to haunted houses to step out of the picture and let haunt owners handle their own affairs.

Lastly, I noticed you didn't refute the fact that IAHA wanted to do its own haunt tour in St. Louis or a bus tour to Branson or wherever. I know haunts you've contacted, and I also know IAHA wanted to squash the Darkness tour just like you are now picking on two haunters in Columbia.

IAHA is just lost totally lost and out of touch with this industry. Its really sad you helped cement that once and for all.

KEN...

You must remember I was not an IAHA member when they refused to support you... once I became the IAHA president I wanted to support you straight away. It was really wild experience because another IAHA board member started their own tour and the mentality of IAHA was to back them full tilt boogy because I guess they where giving money to IAHA. I did EVERYTHING I COULD to get you guys promoted, even to the point that I did call Transworld and ask them to put you on a list of events which they did do. I do agree with you though it was always about the money... they do nothing and want your money for it.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

Well, it's really Transworld that is trying to screw you, not IAHA.

Transworld gave both Thursday and Saturday to The Darkness. I also know there were other St. Louis based haunt based business that wanted to have open houses, tours, etc, but were unable to because of two nights had been dedicated. Makes it hard to compete when there are only so many nights and you give two nights to one enity.

I'm not saying that The Darkness shouldn't be able to do what they want when they want, the same with IAHA and Creative Visions, and the Columbia Haunts. I would have loved to see your tour open on Thursday, for all of those that can't afford Larry's behind the scenes tour that night. Plus as I recall he is limiting that to a couple hundred people as well. You must do what is best for you, and I know people will go, even if it means dedicating the whole evening to it, with travel time and tour time.

I think it's great that people want to provide things for those of us from out of town to do while at the show. I've heard great things about The Darkness, and I think the Columbia Haunts sound wonderful as well. People will try and squeeze in as much as they can when they are there.

But make no mistake Transworld created the problem... Not IAHA or Creative Visions. Them calling and asking you to make a concession is their way of saying they know they shouldn't be playing favorites. Better to be non inclusive than to try and be all inclusive and not be fair to ALL parties involved.

I wish you the best as you open your haunts to the haunt community, I know those of us that will attend appreciate your efforts.

Scaren Karen

Comment

Technically, I don't think Transworld gave Thursday to anyone, since the convention doesn't start until Friday. I think Larry picked Thursday to avoid taking up two convention days. I may be totally off base, but that's how I'm seeing it.
                          sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

First off Transworld gave nothing to anyone. When this whole show was being talked about and first started I said from the start we would open the Darkness on Saturday night. IAHA wanted to have their meeting on Saturday night and I was approached to change our date to Friday. I told them no, additionally I told them simply, and you guys tell me if I'm wrong here..

I told them look the people who support you will attend, so have your event on Saturday if you want you won't hurt my feelings. The people who support HHA will show up to our meeting, the people who do not support us will not show up. Same goes with The Darkness tour or this awards show or whatever.

I told them flat out do whatever they want I didn't care... so then they tried to organize their own tour to compete with ours the same thing they did in Vegas last year, trying to hurt the local haunts there, or telling them they need to organize what they do through IAHA or else. Rich Strelak can tell you all about that ordeal... because it was unreal.

As for Thursday... I said I'll do a behind the scenes tour on Thursday to give an encentive to people to come in early to the show. The whole idea was to try and get people to come sooner than later... no one was stopping me from doing that on Friday, or opening the Darkness on both Friday and Saturday. Did Dreamreapers open their haunt every single night of the show in Chicago... yes they did so why can't I do the same?

Here is why I didn't... I want to do the tour one big blow out on Saturday. I even told IAHA for that matter that I was doing a timed ticket sales, so anyone who still wanted to attend their event could by simply purchasing tickets sooner or later than their event.

I TOLD THEM ALL OF THIS...

Tim Turner came along and made threats on IAHA's behalf to the Columbia haunt tour that people would be mad at them to Transworld would not support them. HE has no authority to make those claims, futhermore he doesn't not represent ONE HAUNT OWNER last I heard.

Here is how you resolve this whole issue...

DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST...if you want to go to some awards show that isn't about YOU then go... if you want to see two awesome haunted houses in one night for a very reasonable price, hang out with haunters all night do that.

It really is that simple.

However, Transworld should SUPPORT THIS SHOW!

In the end I think they will and if IAHA continues to try and damage these guys they only further their image as what they really are and they'll advance the errosion of support for this group. Again I say if this group is so well supported then why are you worried about anything opening up against your show?

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Karen,

One more thing to you specifically...

I told Transworld and again you tell me if I'm wrong here...

I told them let everyone stand on their own, don't take sides, don't favor one other another because it will get you in hot hot hot water in the end.

And what happened they are in hot water over this issue. I told them and everyone involved if the support is there for say IAHA they will get members, people will give them their money, they will show up to this event because they believe in it.

If people CHOOSE to do something else from sleeping, to having a business meeting, to going bowling, or the city museum to yes taking a bus tour to Columbia that is their choice.

I no idiot I know not everyone will support HHA, or go to our haunt tour, I bet lots of people will SLEEP, TAKE IN A BUSINESS MEETING, or whatever.

In this country people are free to make choices so my advice to IAHA is to promote what you do from your website to your membes and let them choose to go, rejoin or whatever they want and leave it at that.

Its my view Transworld shouldn't have backed any pony and just supported everyone the same and let the chips fall wherever. Its the best way to stay out of the fray.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X