Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Problem with portraying a well known movie character...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went through a haunt that when we rounded a corner, had a 5 ft tall Freddy. There went any chance of getting a scare even though the room was well done and could have been much better with an original character.

I have worn a hockey mask even though I was not portraying a Jason character. The problem with that was everyone thinks you were playing Jason and would yell "Hey, there's Jason" whenever they saw me. I hated that character just for that reason.

It's a lot more scary knowing that you're creating an original character out of the dark recesses of your mind rather than copying some Hollywood writer's idea. If you want to study how movie actors portray their characters, that's great. Just study and use tham as an influence rather than copy it.
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I do A cenobite....not a recognisable one. No Pinheads needed. Why? Because then people expect the 'movie'.

I've made something that looks a lot like one of the nurses from Silent Hill. The actress has made it her own. It has a mouth fill of filthy sharp teeth....so it can make noises or even speak.

The nurse works.

But when I used Pyramidhead the expectaion of certain actions came back.

Similar monsters seem to be okay--exact copies always seem to be lacking something.

Comment

our take on Movie characters...

Our haunted hayride is probably always going to be our biggest bang attraction at our haunt. It started about 45 minutes long through almost 2 miles of our farm and drove by approx 18 sets. Now it has condensed considerably, and I think it is much better. Our hayride was originally based on a mysterious fog created by a government experiment gone wrong.. blah blah.... but we set up an old drive-in movie theater with all of our actor's cars ("Look - employee parking"). We had a big projector that we used to play night of the living dead. We made it so you drove through the screen and the fog mysteriously put you in the movies... (I guess a spin off of the old last action hero). You drove by Jason, Michael Meyers, and Leatherface, then you exited to the 'farm' in our hayride. As far as continuity and matching the story (www.youtube.com/legendsofthefog) the movie characters played in to the mix very well. However, I decided to cut ties with the movie characters just before transworld this year... hoping that I wouldn't have some of my best actors/builders walk away as a result....

Long story short, we started implementing our own signature characters instead of portraying copy written characters.

Pros to using movie characters... character recognition, your actors know how to act (homework is easy), costume is easy, and your customers may already have an instilled fear of those characters.

Pros to using original characters... Branding/marketing your characters. Check out some of our characters on myspace or haunt space... Rip-Saw, Edwin Lotf, Maggie Rose, or Frostbite. (myspace.com/legendsofthefog) These are all characters who I couldn't use for promotions in years past... now I can push the hell out of them. You can copy-write your own characters and do anything you want to, because they're yours!

If its not too late... its best to give the can to movie characters
        Patrick Barberry
        www.legendsofthefog.com
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X