Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A monster lawsuit resolved

Read this...http://www.pbn.com/stories/37157.html

This doesn't involve you as a haunted house owner but it does involve you as a business owner and gives you a great deal of insight into trademark issues. This article goes into great detail about a lawsuit over the word MONSTER

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Great post Larry,
    I was especially interested because I own the Mythical Monster Museum. Thanks for making me pop my head up on this one.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Being a pro Sound Designer, I've certainly heard of Monster Cables (great cables!), but I can't say the same about Monster Mini Golf (though it looks like fun!). I don't think Monster Cables had much of a case, did they? What about "Monster.com" the internet job board? Or Monster Energy Drink? I think "Monster" is too generic of a term for one company to own.

Comment

From how I understand it...Monster cables has sued just about everyone they can think of with Monster in the name..I know the energy drink already had its battle...Seems that they are a bit sue happy
        Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Unbelievable. Maybe all the other companies with monster in their name should band together and sue Monster Cable. I will add the company to the list that I will never do business with.

Comment

In college, I worked at a 2 man business called the MacShack. We rented computer time on apple computers to college students (before everyone had one at home). We were threatened by Radio Shack. We ignored it for a while but eventually they pulled out the big guns and the threats started getting stronger. I moved after graduation and the business shut down a year or two later as everyone started having their own computers but we were amazed that the simple word "shack" could get us in trouble, but we didn't know much back then. I always thought Apple had a much stronger case if they wanted to sue but we never heard from them.

I took my kids to a Monster min-golf in my area this past fall. I applaud the creative attempt but the one we went to was black-lit mini-golf in a large open indoor area with about 3 animatronics in the course and didn't do much for my kids or me to be honest. It wasn't the slightest bit scary as proved by my daughter who scares very easily usually and so the animatronics just seemed annoying. But my kids don't really like putt-putt or mini-golf anyways so your mileage may vary.

Comment

Well, I've always disliked monster cable, and now I have yet another reason to never use their products.

Monster mini golf however I've never heard of, but sounds like an interesting concept. Swampboy, perhaps the intent was not to truly be scary, just a mildly entertaining side show as you golf. Although mini golf where they actually try to scare you could be cool. You're about to putt through the little windmill when suddenly someone jumps out with a chainsaw and the ball goes flying in the other direction. Helmets might be necessary.
              -Rob

Audio Guru
              Lighting Designer

Comment

Robos, I think you are right - being scarey would alienate some families for sure. But, it felt more like the franchisee went cheap on the props to be honest. Some of the pictures of other sites had a lot more props than the one I went to. In any case, I hope is does well...takes a lot of mini-golf rounds to pay the rent...

Comment

Wow, for what they are charging they should have loaded the place up with animatronics, or something. It's $30k just for francising fees alone...

Allan

Comment

Working...
                  X