Spending Trends...What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending Trends...What do you think?

Ok, so in the past few days I've read some conflicting information. Both having to do with how people are spending their "entertainment" dollar.

One article which said that sports ticket sales are down, in a typically "recession proof" business. Now of course, a lot of this has to do with corporate clients who can't pony up for their luxury suites, or club level tickets. Here's a blurb:

"Nearly every professional sport is seeing attendance drops this year. On the flip side, more people are watching the NBA and the NFL on television."

The other article was about what people are still spending on, which included restaraunts and movie tickets, and forcasted an increase in restaurant sales for 2009. Here's a couple blurbs:

"While four-star eateries may see a decline in numbers over the next year, Washington, D.C.-based trade group the National Restaurant Association forecasts that Americans will spend $566 billion at restaurants, a 2.5% increase over 2008."

"Despite the fact that movie theater attendance decreased by 5% in 2008, theaters made $9.8 billion, a 2% increase from 2007, according to the Motion Picture Association of America. Even though tickets can run $15 a pop in some cinemas, going to the movies is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment available."

So, what do you think? By the time October rolls around, will haunted attractions still be (if they are) "recession proof"

Chris
    Chris Stafford
    1331 Entertainment Group
    Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
    13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
    13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

While I am far from an expert, this area is of great interest to me. Questions like this are fundamental to the success of these events. This is definitely an area for the "new" HHA.
    Any way, historically during slow economic times entertainment dollars are spent closer to home. There are less large trips, less money spent at large destination attractions like the amusement parks. This typically is a good sign for home town events, something within a reasonable driving range. Most haunts fit in this category. So while overall we may see a reduction in entertainment dollars spent, we will benefit from the shift in spending. With any luck these could turn into up times for the industry.
    Just my 2 cents
    Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
    Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
    2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

People are eating more fast food because it is both fast and cheap. That is why the amount went up but the better places will suffer.

When you look at haunted houses, the amount of people that said they planned to go to at least one in 2007 was 18.7%. That number declined to 18.1% in 2008. That is not a huge difference considering. So I think we are safe as long as you are offering a quality product at a reasonable price.

Comment

I think that all "escapism entertainment" will be fine. As long as haunt owner are innovative and remain true to their marketing we should be fine.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

"$-2006" "$ -2007" "$-2008"

Taking in the same money three or four years in a row does not mean you are doing well, because prices of everything increases.
          I heard a report on a few certain businesses and taking in the same amount year after year has now come to mean that you ARE doing well because so many people are not doing that well, unemployed, losing businesses and homes.
          I was very surprised the gas prices didn't shoot way up what with the combat in Gaza. In the past one person slaps another from the other country and the price of a barrel of oil would jump up that day, any excuse....even though neither of those countrys had any oil to sell anywhere to anybody.
          By the way, does anyone here really believe that Nobody knows where the first 350 billion went?
          I bet somebody sure knows.
          Today a man said he couldn't figure out why Maddof was not in jail?
          I said, let him steal a loaf of bread and he would be! Now that's stealing!
          sorry, just random thoughts.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
          X