Hey Rusty! (From the CFX guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...

Well I can't wait to see your guys new stuff at TW! We plan on buying one while we are there! SO EXCITED! -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Well, I'm glad to see things getting a little more civil...there is plenty of room in the market for two companies to make silicone masks.

Regarding the eye holes, I don't work at a haunted house - I like to wear realistic masks and play pranks on people. When you look at pictures like this you can see how important it is to the realism to not have huge gaping eyeholes as it would ruin the whole illusion

http://www.fxmasks.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1798

I don't want to have to put makeup around my eyes every time i want to slide on my mask and play a quick prank. Also makeup getting in your eyes is not good for your eyes so I'd rather avoid having to do that at all.

Maybe your company is more geared toward haunts and rustys is more geared towards pranksters which actually makes sense because he has more realistic line while you have more creature line of products.

Comment

Cracker, I think you hit the nail on the head! To be honest I wish there were a way for us to cut our eyes closer and still have the mask fit such a wide range of faces safely. But in this case we need to sacrifice a bit of "WOW" for the practicality of a mask being worn over the 5 - 6 hour span that an actor is asked to wear it on a given night.

-Ken-

Comment

looking forward to it Tyler.
          -K-

Comment

Kenny, Wes

I am hurt but I will get over it!! Here you looking forward to meeting Tyler but you say nothing about the Famous Mouth Of The South!!!! I am hurt!!!!!! Tyler you may have to come up missing!!!! Also Tyler be sure to pick up the Insane Shane mask and the Loony Larry one!!!! Shane and its pass the tissue Shane this time.
            sigpic

Comment

Shane, I'm sure he didn't mean to pick favorites! ... And if such a masks were to be produced I'd get them! And they'd better be sold in pairs! hahahaha... -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Both companies seem like cool guys to me, and like i said there is more than enough room in the silicone masks market to accomodate (sp?) both - so i wish both companies the best of luck!!!

Silicone masks are definitely the way to go, anyone who is into latex masks and has not made the leap into buying a silicone mask really doesn't know what they are missing!
                Last edited by The Head Cracker; 01-23-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Head Cracker

I think the "cracker" part means Crack Head! Why would you be so disrespectful to CFX and place the website to SPFX in your post? This is rude and disrespectful to them. Cut out the free ads everyone sees where your going with this! Shane and its thats a low blow. Not to have posted many post you sure all about posting about them. Go collect your free mask or call Rusty and tell him to send you your pay check! Shane this time!!

http://www.compositeeffects.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Greystone, get back to me when you see some peachfuzz appearing. Shane Shane Shane. Buy what you want. I'll buy Shane what i want Shane WTF.

You obviously are flaming and aren't representing CFX because they seem cool to me, unlike shane you shane. Shane did i mention shane?
                    Last edited by The Head Cracker; 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Both companies good in their own rights

Allright, lets try to turn this into something positive, I seriously have a question for either company, about their products.

We own an SPFX zombie mask, one of the best looking masks I have ever seen. We purchased it with one actor in mind, our Acting Director, to wear (and by the way, the customer service was just fine). Opening night, he attempted to wear the mask. About half way through the night, he asked me if he could take it off, and go with makeup, because he was having a hard time seeing through the eye holes. That combined with the contact lenses he was wearing just wasn't going to work. I tried the mask on it didn't fit well around my eyes (I pride myself in not being a "dummy" head, but more on that later).

Fast forward to the following year at Transworld, where the very same actor tried on a couple of Composite Effects products. The very first words out of his mouth were that he could see fine, and it fit his face better, and it was lighter/more comfortable.

So I can understand the posts and opinions about the eye holes.

However, unless either one of the companies masks were made to fit a cast of the head of the actual actor that will be wearing it, you could potentially have this problem with either company, right? So, how do you remedy this? Can you stuff the back or top of the mask with something to make it fit better? I have some ideas on this, but let's hear what the companies that make them have to say about it. Lets hear the tips and tricks. Give a solution to a potential problem in advance. I understand that they are making these to fit onto some manequin head or mask armature, so unless you are a "dummy" head, it's probably not gonna fit you perfectly.

Or as an alternative, will either company, for an addtional cost of course, make a mask to fit the lifecast of an actor?

My take on the products, visually is that they are both absolutely fantastic!, but different (as with a lot of products, including haunted houses that I have visited). SPFX masks look so real, especially with the new custom hair that they have added to some of their designs. When you are up close looking at them, they look real, the paint, skin texture, everything. Composite Effects is the way to go if you want a more fantasy/creature looking character, and I think they are absolutely stunning.

But going back to my questions, we will probably buy more of these masks, but my decision may be made in part by how the questions are answered.

There is room for both of these companies, and many more. Competition will improve the products even more right? I wish them both the best, and have been thoroughly impressed with their products so far. I look forward to seeing how their products become even better over time.

Chris
                      Chris Stafford
                      1331 Entertainment Group
                      Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Great post Chris!

And Crack Head I mean Cracker thanks for removing the ad. That is in much better taste. Guys I may come off a lil strong but these guys have awsome mask and do great work!!!!! Shane and its I cant wait to see the new mask as TW. Shane this time!
                        sigpic

Comment

Shane,

Are you suggesting one of these companies make a 'Larry Mask'... LOL

That would be funny! One famous company once wanted to mold me for an electric chair...now that would have been funny huh? Pull the switch on Larry nightly! LOL

I should have done it it would have been a riot! I think people would like to see me turned into a fried sizzled Larry or a dead Larry mask. LOL

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Chris,

There are a couple of solutions to your “loose mask” problem. What we commonly recommend is that you go to a paint store and purchase a “head sock” this is just basically a thin cotton ski mask which has the face cut out. Then glue enough upholstery foam to the back of it to make the mask fit a bit tighter. In addition to snugging up the mask, the sock will also help to wick sweat away from your skin. The second option is to eat a bunch of Twinkies.

Regarding custom masks, Sure we can build you a custom mask, we do it all the time. Pending on how close your head is to the head form we already use we can either modify it a bit to better suite you (I’m not sure if you have tried on our “year two” masks, but they are all made on a Joe form which is slightly smaller than the Zombie we had the first year, we made a smaller Joe because everyone said that they would like the mask to fit more snug. That whole “listen to your customers” thing in action. The inside of the new masks measured around the brow is 21.5”) . Or you can fly over to Baton Rouge where we will sit you down in front of a laser, and take a 3-D scan of your head and shoulders. Then alter it a bit in a few key spots to ensure a snug fit. Once we have a viable virtual copy of your head the file moves on over to a 3-D printer where we get a life size copy of your altered head. From there the sculpting and molding process are the same as all of our other masks. (while this process sounds expensive it is actually faster, and cheaper than a standard life cast, plus there is no mess)

This 3-D printing method is how we came up with our “Average Joe ” sculpting form, only instead of using one person, it is an average of multiple peoples dimensions, that way we have the most versatile fit. Gotta love technology!!!
                            Give me a call for further information. I’ll be in the shop all weekend.

Ken
                            Office : 225 756 7875

Rusty, were still waiting to hear from you, your customers are vouching for your integrity. I think that you owe them an explanation just as much as you owe Wes and I one.

Comment

What is it you are waiting for Rusty to say, his webmaster or whoever obviously removed the cfxmasks.com link for you guys which was cool if him to do, he didn't have to do that - that's an ethical decision not a legal one. He's got a forum www.fxmasks.com where people vouch for his integrity and the quality of his products everyday so anyone looking for more information can go there.

Quick question, not trying to stir up the pot or anything, but did you guys put king human up to making that biased cfx vs spfx video? Kinghuman is still making videos to this day with his old man mask so obviously he likes spfx too. It's just that he has one video where he's flashing cash for a contest for CFX and then makes another video where he's obviously slamming SPFX saying outrageous things like "it takes 10 minutes to put a spfx mask on" and doesn't even put the proper website address on the video which was of course intentional. The guy bought 5 or 6 spfx masks, of course he knows the name of the website.

I would like to think that he did that garbage on his own and its not something you guys put him up to. That to me is just as unethical as pointing the competitions domain name to your own because thousands of people see that video and legally it probably is worse than pointing a domain name because its could be considered slander - in this case i think it really backfired because its so over the top biased and you can tell by the user comments that no one is buying it.

I think Rusty and you guys should all play nice, I'd like to see that! Maybe its a good think this thread was made.

Comment

First of all do you have a link to this video that you are talking about so I can see it for myself. I happen to know a thing or too about that kind of legality.

Second, both parties are stupid. Believe me it will all make sense at the end. I love both products. The CFX masks look amazing and I plan on buying all of em. Same goes for the SPFX masks. Look amazing and I plan to buy the ones that dont look stupid to me. All of the noses look the same but thats a different topic.

CFX was extremely stupid for bringing up this thread. You dumbasses tried to sling mud and didnt expect to get dirty. They did something wrong and now everyone who reads this thread is gonna either take CFX side or try to find some dirt of CFX to vouch for SPFX. Very not smart on your part. SPFX did something wrong, not illegal, but wrong. They did use a url name that is very similar to CFX. Because whos gonna remember Composite whatever. I cant even remember the website name and ive been to it about a thousand times. CFX sticks in the brain. SPFX was relying on that to somewhat "borrow" potential customers. I use borrow because its not illegal its strategy but still immoral.

So both of you are wrong. And no you should definately not play nice. Its better for us consumers. We get bettter deals that way.

MUAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
                                Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

Working...
                                X