Houston Halloween Expo Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Halloween Expo Review

We finally got back from the Houston show. I have to say that if I didn't know this was a different show I would have sworn I was at Transworld. Everything down to the signage, floor layout, and colors seemed to be almost the same. I would have never known the difference. There was the usual 1/3 paper and party section, 1/3 Major Vendors, and 1/3 smaller vendors breakdown.

There were early bird seminars which I did not attend as most dealt with actual stores and were of no interest. There were the usual fashion shows with lots of scantly clad ladies running amok. There were several bar setups around the floor which was pretty cool so you could get lit while spending your money.

I saw two new companies that interested me. One was Arrival Mask Inc which was a foam latex mask line owned and operated by a set of brothers here in the US. Wholesale prices started around $50-60. Good molds and paint jobs. There was also Stage Frights which makes a line of tombstones and unpainted full face prosthetic which were also very cool. Both of these companies I believe were started by others but then bought by the new owners to keep the lines from dying but I could be wrong.

Distortions new Granny prop was cool you just have to supply the chair and amp. One of the Chinese companies ripped off Distortions Scary Carrie really bad. I could swear it was the exact same mold. Bump in the Night has some new cool masks and props and some really big pig boots. You would have to see the pics I can't really describe them.

There were also the usual Chinese companies dotting the floor. It looks as though Sunstar will take Fitco's place as the mass market mass produced cheap Halloween prop company. I had seen them in the past but this year with a much bigger booth and a fitco vibe.

I took the time to speak to all of my reps from all of the major lines...Rubies, Funworld, PMG, Incharacter and so forth about their feelings on the show and the coming shows this season.
    About 9 out of 10 agreed that they liked this show better than any of the Transworld shows. It was cheaper in every respect and the dates allowed them to get their orders to the factories earlier for better arrival dates instead of the late ones we are so use to. Most of the smaller independent vendors said they won't attend any of the other shows and some hoped the Vegas show fails miserably. I talked to some about St Louis but I got a lot of indecision. Every vendor I talked to had very strong opinions one way or the other and openly talked about it.

I personally thought the venue and dates were great and hope this becomes the new buyer show. It all depends on how well they did this year despite the big banner by the doors that already has the dates for next year. Traffic felt really lite like it did in Vegas last year if you went. Many thought it was lite because it was a new show and no one was sure how it would turn out.

Sorry for the pic quality.
    Attached Files
    Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Good show overall, I'm from Dallas, so it was easy to go to for me. I thought the new clown stuff from Ghoulish Productions was nice, and the new masks from Zagone Studios were very nice. Zagone studios makes some decent masks that require little maintenance and look good to. The Arrival mask guy bought out Scarecrow masks company and is adding a few new things. The one thing I found funny was that Loftus Intl., set up near Zagone's booth, sells Zagones masks for cheaper than Zagone sells at wholesale, and Forum doesn't require you to buy in bulk. They also had this company there selling sound devices that had infrared sensors on them and plyed anywhere from 20s - 10 minute sound bites, depending on the device. The guy said they do IAAPA and sell alot to amusement parks.
    Last edited by Dr Spooktakular; 01-27-2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I was there too....my 1st halloween convention. I enjoyed watching all the girls during the fashion show, but overall the show offered me some areas to expand my home business on. Just wished I could have stayed longer.

I almost bought that rocking chair granny prop--that was a pretty sweet prop. Seen one exhibitor crash their display while they were doing last second setting up Sunday morning---they were right behind Midnight Syndicate. There was also another halloween music group there whose music was pretty good.

Those foam masks were pretty decent, but there was a $500 min order for them, or at least I was told that. The guy at that booth seemed pretty annoyed that Minions Web was casting a web across the isle.

I have some pics, but mostly of the girls from Leg Aveue.

Comment

Call the companies back that had min orders. If it was a little slow they may change their mind. The minions web guys asked if they were cool with the webs floating overhead and they said they were ok with it so they should have spoken up.

Comment

Did vendors say sales are good or bad? Did vendors say they will also attend the vegas show or if that was it?

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Most vendors said traffic was light but I was there the first day and the beginning of the second day. Most said the busier days are during the week and not the weekend. A few said they were going to Vegas but everyone that did say they were going to Vegas were going to have much smaller booths.

Comment

Post more pictures and send some to me for a tradeshow story follow up.

Did you see many haunt vendors?

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

..and how about the price of the food?
                As expensive as the Rosemont?
                One post said someone said the show was cheaper? How much? By the booth? Hotels?
                whooqures? (just asking for a friend.) hahahaha!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The only "Haunt" vendors I really saw were companies like Froggys Fog, Midnight Syndicate, Scarecrow, Bloody Mary, and a few Morris items. These were the closest to haunt that were there.

As far as prices we stayed at the Marriot 5 miles away and paid $89/night which was $30 cheaper than the Special rate one that was close by. Food was easy to find from local to fast food it was close and cheap. We walked to a famous seafood restaurant by our hotel. Booth and labor prices for the show I am unfamiliar with. Everyone just kept saying it was cheaper. It's probably listed on their site.

Comment

That is the benefit of having a convention center that isn't say a CONVENTION only town like Rosemont. Houston's convention center is part of the city, so I'm sure there are many things nearby. Rosemont is unique in the the whole little community is only about that convention center. Thats it so things are more expensive.

Anyway the bottom line is did people write the orders they had hoped. Did you hear about that? Was the show sold out booths wise...didn't look like it from their floor plan.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

I have a question on one of the pictures. Who was the vendor with the skeleton band, and was it static, or animated?
                      sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

The vendor was Big Stuff Inc and they were static. The only animated props I remember seeing from them were 7 foot x-mas nut crackers.

Comment

Larry,

I would have to say that the show floor was at least 95% full, the only few empty booths were little 10x10's that were near the end and near all the exotic clothing/costume people. The several people I talked to said that it was slower than expected and about 1/2 of those said they will not be attending TW.

Comment

Those Big Stuff Inc. guys had some cool stuff, I do have to say that it was very expensive stuff. Everything they had was truly BIG stuff. They had not only Halloween stuff but also Christmas stuff.

Comment

I talked to some sources and found that the show is NOT a success for vendors. What they expected traffic wise didn't show up not even close. This could be a case of the bad economy, or that this show is not needed, or wanted to everyone. I think its a combination of many things such as the fact that many of the main buyers now are so few from Walmart to Spirits. The big retailers know the buyers and vice versa and many do business in private showings now.

I'm not so sure Halloween can afford 10 million events and shows.

The people I talked to also said they don't think Vegas will be much better but it might be better than Houston, but only time will tell.

But as of right now I don't think from a buying standpoint the show is a huge success not atleast from what I'm hearing.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X