• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont know how

how do you get that effect of the paint chipping off
    terror tents we will leave you screaming

chipping paint....

I accidentally found out how to do this once -- I had used thicker coats of crackle finish (I've also heard that plain, white school glue like Elmer's will do the same thing, but I haven't tried it) -- on a sign. I painted the sign, let it crackle and then left it in the sun before I put a sealer coat on it -- and it crackled and chipped.
    I don't know if this helps at all...but I thought I'd share it with you at least!
    Good luck on your project
    "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

Yea

I was tring to figer out the paint effect too.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can use a heat gun on some paint to make it look peeled. But heres a technique I've developed through years of practice.
        When you finish painting the surface that you worked on. Depending on the color paint "smack" dust into the wet paint. If you have lighter paint(white, yellow, lavender...umm baby blue) you get my meaning, you'd use dark dust. And vice versa for a darker paint.
        Collect dust...it can be as fine as you want too as thick as you want its just what you want... and put it into an empty 5 gallon paint bucket. Get a leaf blower and blow directly into the bucket.
        REMEMBER TO WHERE A MASK.
        If you do it right the dust will collect into the air and some will collect into the wet paint and then dry into the paint. It already looks old and mangy. It works better with certain color combinations. Beige paint and saw dust.
        After it dries heat gun that son of a gun(I laughed at that one) and get your OLD looking PEELED paint.
        Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

Crisco

Base coat, then crisco where you want it to crack and peal, then final coat

Comment

Here is a cool trick,

Paint the item with two layers of latex paint, then paint it with Oil based paint. Let dry after each coat. Then GO buy some clear gel paint stripper and put a nice thick coat over the oil based paint, and walk away. Let it dry for at least 2 days. Paint will all be buckled up, you can also take a scraper over the dry material. This effect works good if the first 2 coats of the latex paint is a darker color, gives a really cool peeling effect.

(go over this with a black wash for a more extreme aged look )
            This method is used for making extremely cracked paint.
            Frank W. Balzer
            FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
            http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
            --------------------------------------------------
            www.RotHauntedHouse.com
            www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X