Steam Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Injuries

Last question for a while I promise.... Or do I? Anywho. I have a shower scene in my haunt design and I need to know whether or not its possible to create fake steam. I'm thinking a hazer but it doesnt have the same consistancy as steam.
    Anyone know a sollution?
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

if you could get a fog machine to blast out the fog with more pressure it migfht be what your looking for. I would call up the guys at froggys fog and tell them what your looking for. I bet they can get the effect you are looking for with a special fluid mix.
    just a thought,
    Allen Hopps
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Steam , real steam won't be hurting anyone after it first comes out of whatever is generating it.
      The moisture level might increase in a room to the point of creating an electrical hazard though if everything is dripping wet.
      Steam condenses back into water and if you are in a cold climate it could freeze to ice and make for slippery walking.
      If your atmosphere is somewhat cold, hot water can make a cloud that has nowhere near the temperature that steam originates at, thereby making it much safer.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thats the very same reason I can't use a mister. Mister would do the trick but I cant have any actual water flow because then I need drains and that means I have to go below grade and I want everything to be very easily altered for the following year.

Comment

"You"?

.."would have to be below grade?"
          Only the water you are trying to control has to be below grade. You could be standing on a grating allowing the water to vanish into the grate, finding the drain and going down the pipe to a sump pump that lifts the water and dumps it where you might want it to be.
          (Or something like that?)
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I would just use a fog machine. In the dark or low light and a strobe no one will really know the difference. Have it as one of your early scenes and the first one that uses fog. Maybe build a box and drill holes in it or use a piece of pvc cap it and have a few arms come off it and drill very few holes in it. Lay it in the tub and then when the fog goes off only a small amount escapes at a time.
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

We've used an ultrasonic humidifier in the past. Put a little glycerin into the tank with the water and the steam shows up way better.

Comment

Whats this glycerin your talking about? Where can I get some?

Comment

If you're simply going for the effect of steam rising from a shower, fog can do this easily and safely. Actual steam would be too much trouble since you need a boiler, plumbing, pressure releif valves...all that good stuff. But if your effect is to be more of a blast of steam, like it was under high pressure, an alternative could be CO2. Whatever you use, make sure it's well ventilated. As Jim pointed out, steam can lead to condensation. And a buildup of CO2 is not good for your guests either. Unless of course your goal is death/electrocution. Now that'll scare 'em!
                  -Rob

Audio Guru
                  Lighting Designer

Comment

CO2 is another suggestion that hasn't been made but that has way too many flags fly up. Its dangerous. DEFINATELY needs ventilation. And is flammable when built up. I think Imma stick with the foggers for now and then work from there.

Comment

CO2 is not flammable, but I think too much in a confined space can lead to asphyxiation...
                      Spinning Tunnels www.spinningtunnel.com

Comment

It is heavier than air(but then aren't we all?) and it would fill down into a low area and kill, if you were down there.
                        It has happened.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR View Post
                          Whats this glycerin your talking about? Where can I get some?
                          You can get the glycerin from most costume/ makeup stores (Ben Nye and Mehron all make their own versions).
                          Katie Lane
                          Partner/VP
                          Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                          sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Originally posted by BruiseMuse View Post
                            You can get the glycerin from most costume/ makeup stores (Ben Nye and Mehron all make their own versions).

Yeah... or you can get it at your local pharmacy for about half the price

Comment

I believe the effect you ae looking for was shown at TW Vegas by Edge Design. It is a steam pipe effect and it utilizes fog. here's the link:

https://edgedesignsonline.com/Go_Blow_Effects.html

Is this for an existing haunt or a new haunt?
                              Based on your questions and some of your answers I hope you have a large budget!!
                              You should be spending a lot at TW St. Louis and become a favorite to a lot of vendors!!

Good luck!
                              Last edited by RJ Productions; 02-04-2009, 02:18 AM.
                              R&J Productions
                              Las Vegas, NV
                              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X