Who runs a hayride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety first

With a hayride, you need to make the transition on and off as smooth and safe as possible. Remember, it's going to be at night and many people are klutzes. Ideally you don't want it much more difficult than normal walking - up a gradual ramp right onto the trailer, without a gap for their foot to slip into. I don't know about the tractor you have in mind but see all kinds of problems with people getting on and off, hanging on, slipping, getting bumped around, etc. That is why some people even hate to use haybales, even though it is called a hayride.

Comment

It's all in the type of trailer that you use and keeping a watchful eye. Ours is tractor pulled and we use an old cotton trailer (we're in Texas; we find them at farm auctions all the time for about $200) We've constructed special steps with handrails that our drivers back right up to with the trailer. The driver must always stand to assist at the steps, and we use square bales for seating. We haven't had any trouble; and ShawnC is absolutely right about slope and all. You just have to think about how somebody could hurt themselves and go from there!
      I tell you what though, people LOVE hayrides....we can barely keep up most nights. It's worth it.
      "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
      ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

We have talked about doing a haunted hayride this year, but we aren't going to.
        INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

hayride

we've decided to continue the hayride, only not haunt it. It can be a nightmare on a Saturday night! We're going to focus the actors into the haunt attraction, and leave the other stuff on the farm as additional activities.
          "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
          ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

I run a Haunted Hayride every year, about a mile through the woods on weekends in October... Any good hayride scare tactics? I am always looking for some new ideas... I have a great chain saw effect if anyone is into chain sawing.

Comment

we don't do a halloween hayride we just have a free house haunt. I don't like the ideal of doing street to street with the hayride too much chance for injury trouble But here some pics of my christmas hayride that I do for the last 12 years for different groups thur a neighbourhood so they can see the christmas lights...its a free ride..Howard
              Attached Files

Comment

Hayrides...

Hi, all ~
                We've been doing hayrides for years now. One thing we've learned: Customers LOVE a long, winding hayride. We use old cotton trailers that we pick up at auctions (around $200 +) and they're the perfect size to fit approx 20-30 people on. We do use hay for seating, and we have staff that ALWAYS help people on and off from the wagon -- supervision and safety are a must. We have a 75 acre farm and our trail travels the perimeter of the farm. It's a great way for people to see our corn maze, haunted trail, pumpkin patch and other activities.

If you're adding a hayride, you and your customers will not be disappointed! We include the hayride with our admission price; however, we have had people who come back to the ticket office and offer to pay for additional rides!
                ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

Hayride on steroids

Hi My family and myself run the Reaper's Realm Haunted Forest Ride near Sarnia Ontario Canada.It is a 12 acre forest with a trail a little over a mile long.We have been open every October since 2001. We also have a walk through Haunted House.We had a very good turn out this year (no rain all month). We are not the traditional hayride,we run between 4 -6 special topless reapermobiles (school busses with the roofs cut off) the patrons just love them. One person said after they got off the ride that it was like a hayride on steroids .We also sell glow products T-shirts,hats and diferent Halloween trinkets and food and refreshments.
                  Attached Files
                  Chris & Carrie Baxterhttp://www.reapersrealm.ca

Comment

I am so jealous of you guys that have the acreage to run a hayride. Being that i'm a country boy at heart, I would kill to drive wagons all night long. Well, as long as they're red/white or green tractors. Can't have any of that old or new blue.

I suppose I'll just keep pretending with a Deere 318, Kubota G6200H and coming soon, a Deere 430
                    -Brandon Kelm
                    Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

I'm planning to do a hayride this year. I'm calling it Forest Of Fear, and the whole hayride goes through thick, pitch black woods. But on the way back, the patrons get out and walk through the woods to get back.
                      Don't throw a baby at anything. Even a Burgalar

Comment

Needed Info

Hello,My name is Scott and I am a manager of the Heritage Haunt and Pumpkin Festival in Santa Clarita Ca. We are a non-profit haunt that raises money for the SCV Historical Society and the local Hart H.S Dist. We are in our 3rd year and are expanding and adding a Hayride. I have been doing haunts since 1970, but have never done a hayride. any suggestions for a novice hayride manager? So far all I have is a large campsite,a group of Cowboys who perform with guns and horses.I have a flatbed and a truck to pull the flatbed with hay. I can get a tractor but the truck is much more quiet.The campsite is a long corridor that goes into a campsite and then loops back kind of L shaped.We thought that rigging the sound on the truck and flatbed would work better than trying to run line for a mile in the campsite.The cowboys are a retired group of studio stuntmen.This is their first haunt.Any suggestions would be appreciated,Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X