No announcement yet.

Darkness Photos Uploaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These materials have been used for chemical resistant flooring on boats, ships, marine docks, industrial flooring and even as pool liners. It is slowly being accepted as respectable architectual finish.

In our day job case I could see using it as a textural finish in a fountain where people might go out into the spray but inside a pool bothers me as patching or removal would be a tough job. I imagined them putting over a not so dry surface and ending up with big monster bubbles of ground water.

If you are on the cheap, some body shop supplies offer a $20 gun that you mix the two parts and screw it onto the gun to spray a pick up bed, already colored. It can also be mixed up and blown through an acoustic or drywall texture hopper but clean up is a mess. It pretty much trashes a good hopper. We have hoppers that are simply on all the time sparying as you pour any thing into them.

It could prove to be a good textural finish on any ramps or steps.

It might be such a thing that working with the cheap gun and small batches (heavily marked up) would require so much time, mess and waste that the larger gun for a larger project was the way to go.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Yesterday I used a very large sized can of Great Stuff Super-Expanding foam to fill three mask heads.
      The Super-Expanding foam did not expand at all! Now that I know this I could better control the expansion when it begins to overflow. What happened to make it not expand at all? 30 degree air temperature I guess? I couldn't find anything on the can label to this effect, but it sure did not expand, unless the ingrediants in the can were faulty?
      I shook it up real good first too, just like it said to do.
      On another forum a guy told how a can of Great Stuff exploded the first time he pushed down on the nozzle and he was just very lucky not have had it hit him in the eyes!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Greg,

We're not shooting that liner stuff through the gun...we're shooting normal hard coating materials through the gun. They went to the IAAPA show showcasing how it works with normal hard coating chemicals. We're using 100% hard coating materials just like you'd use at Universal.

Thats just the gun we're using!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I would think temperature would effect Great Stuff, the goo once exposed to the outside atmosphere catalizes and to react needs the chemical reaction to be 115 degrees. Intended to cure at some point. So it is something that should not be attempted below perhaps 53 degrees temperature.

The stuff will begin to react though days from now if it isn't curing or if brought into a warm room (with vapors killing everyone) it will commence to expand. It is also a good thing to only put in layers of a few inches, let it expand and cure then add more rather than just fill something up. Other wise the outside cures to a hard shell and there is still uncured foam that is liquid waiting to expand inside this shell that blows out when you least expect it. Or at some point the mask will begin to expand uncontrolably to some disfigured balloon head with spurts of foam leeching out here and there and sometimes toxic fume farts.

Dump it out or scoop it to be hollow while you can!
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Larry,

Could you please send me a blob of the over spray from the hard coat so I can mind meld with it? Every thing I have seen is cement like and doesn't need a mixing gun. I don't get out much.
            sigpic

Comment

Larry,

Do you have a product name and approximate cost for the hard coat?
              Brett Hays, Director
              Fear Fair
              www.fearfair.com

Comment

Larry, Great photos!!!!

I'd love to hear more about how you are coating your foam so that it can stand up to your guests. We have used several methods over the years and we still have a few high traffic areas that didn't do all that well last year. You know that.... "It was a great scare.... just that wall and doorway on the other side didn't survive the experience." thing....... :?
                http://www.innerfears.com/
                http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by dr0zombie
                  You know that.... "It was a great scare.... just that wall and doorway on the other side didn't survive the experience." thing....... :?
                  Ditto! What have you tried that didn't work? I have used a polyurethane coating that does achieve the 'wet' look on old stone walls, etc. and gives the foam a rubbery coating, does make it somewhat more durable. However, areas across from a scare, near the floor along a wall, etc. still get pretty torn up.
                  Brett Hays, Director
                  Fear Fair
                  www.fearfair.com

Comment

^^^^ Bump ^^^^

Larry,

Do you have a product name and approximate cost for the hard coat?
                    Brett Hays, Director
                    Fear Fair
                    www.fearfair.com

Comment

Talk about detail, awesome
                      Slash
                      "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Hey Larry it's Scott. I stopped by today and Jim showed me all the areas that need my special "touch" I think you guys have topped yourselves this year! For those of you that are curious, Larry and Jim have made a ton of changes in The Darkness for 2007. I can't wait to spend most of my free time there the next month or so......
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Scott Simonson
                        Owner
                        Dark Ride Designs http://www.darkridedesigns.com
                        PsychoPhobia http://www.whatsyourphobia.com

Comment

The company will have an ad in the latest magazine. Additionally now they're buying a booth at TW. So all the info will be in the magazine coming soon!

Our cave would be done right now if it where not for the fact that some hard coating was damaged in shipping. Once the hard coating shows up we'll spray the rest of the set and we'll paint it.

Once its painted we'll start getting it detailed. I'm going down to the Darkness today to take some new pics of all the new stuff. Many new things have been done.

We're also building a mirror maze, Ben Armstrong helped us with that. Thanks Ben!!!

Scott,

Glad to hear you came down today. Yeah I thought you'd like that cave!!! LOL Wait until you see everything I have planned for it. Maybe I'll see you down there later today!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                          X