Haunt Seminars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt Seminars

Many of us have Day Jobs to support are haunt Habbits, now I have been a Home haunt for 7 Years, I plan on going pro, would love Halloween productions to set it up but can afford that kind of $$$ without them having a pmt plan of some sort, so I have to see what the main stream wants.

How do you find that out? Go to conventions, check out the seminars, buy videos including "how to" talk to other owners etc, However most of us can't attend of of the shows and we want to watch the seminars, so here is the big question.

WHY does NO one record these seminars?
    YES
    63.27%
    NO
    10.20%
    MAYBE
    26.53%

Every time I speak at Hauntcon, I am miked and often video taped. I dont know what Leonard does with teh footage and audio, but he does take it. Id love to buy a good DVD of the seminars at almost any show, there is always good stuff there.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

There is a tremendous amount of invaluable information in the Hauntworld and Kevin McCurdy dvds as well. Every spring, we make it a point of reviewing some of our favorite and most informative segments from both series.

http://www.hauntedhousesupplies.com/...rld_Movies.htm

There are lots of discounts for bulk orders through the web site, which makes it even more of a great deal.
      Scott Simmons
      The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
      http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

I know several of my MHC seminars were recorded, but I have no idea who has the footage or what became of it.

I do think it would be great if the conventions released DVD copies of each year's seminars.
        Katie Lane
        Partner/VP
        Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
        sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadProd View Post
          There is a tremendous amount of invaluable information in the Hauntworld and Kevin McCurdy dvds as well. Every spring, we make it a point of reviewing some of our favorite and most informative segments from both series.

http://www.hauntedhousesupplies.com/...rld_Movies.htm

There are lots of discounts for bulk orders through the web site, which makes it even more of a great deal.
          We all know there is much information just no seminars, well haunted attractions does have hauntcon 2006 seminars...But anyways kind of sound like larry (not dissing) however one things with Hauntworld tapes is the show haunts which is sweet but when I buy a DVD called "how to build a haunted House" it is 1hr long 20-30min of it was talking domain name and the rest was showing the darkness and silo-X, then promoted two other DVDs. When I ask about the two other DVDs to that series I get "Just buy them all" errrg I wanted "how to build a haunted attraction" not a tour. TIPS, TRICKS, TECHNIQUES to go from a 7yr home haunt to pro.....

I love seminars and think they are a greate asset to any haunt home or pro, 1yr to 100yrs everyone can take things from them.

Comment

I would. I think they should film them and sell them but they need the speakers permission to do so. Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by BruiseMuse View Post
              I know several of my MHC seminars were recorded, but I have no idea who has the footage or what became of it.

I do think it would be great if the conventions released DVD copies of each year's seminars.
              Woah! We did not have any official videoing of any seminars. THere may have been some private individuals who were doing so but I leave that up to the instructors as to whether they will allow it. We had a few photographers and news crews around but nothing that would have been a full length video.

Now, on to the topic. Many people have approached us about this and many have requested that we do it. The problem is that the companies that do this type of work want a large purchase commitment up front. We have looked into it and we do not seeing ever being able to sell enough copies to offset the money to make them. The problem with MHC specifically is that we have six classes going on at one time so that would mean six different cameras and operators to cover everyhting.

Comment

Terror Field- check your PM's
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Barry you hit the nail on the head.
                  Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  The problem is that the companies that do this type of work want a large purchase commitment up front. We have looked into it and we do not seeing ever being able to sell enough copies to offset the money to make them. The problem with MHC specifically is that we have six classes going on at one time so that would mean six different cameras and operators to cover everyhting.
                  I did the DVDs for HauntX for two years on speculation.
                  1st year was just one room, 2 cameras, 2 cameramen, 14 hours of seminars
                  2nd year it was 2 rooms, 4 cameras, 4 cameramen, 28 hours of seminars
                  To this day I have yet to cover my cost. People say they want them, but when it
                  comes down to parting with there cash, it's a hole different story.
                  Last edited by MidnightEvil; 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM.
                  Gary
                  Midnight Evil Productions
                  www.MidnightEvil.com
                  Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
                  www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

Berry do you put together the widwest show?

Comment

Yes, I am one of the four producers of MHC. It is my wife Kathy and myself, as well as Kelly and Neena Collins.

Comment

Not sure who the video was done by but our crew just watched an acying video put on by another group of haunt actors last season.

It showed different types of scares done the right and the wrong way which to the rookies coming in made for great examples.

Man i thought there would be buttloads of video out there on this.

I have 7 years of actor training under my belt in all types of scares, will work for free just to visit but you pick up the airfaire or gas and hotel room. I also do make up traing as well.

Hell tape me and sell it and offer me 50 cents a copy for all i care, i love what i do and can offer and am more then willing to share.

Comment

Keven love the enthusiasm, I just might take you up on that, pm me some time.

Comment

Terrorfeild,
                            No problem and i did answer your PM.

I really feel it dosen't matter how many dollars you spend on al the gadgetry and decor IF there isn't a good scare involved! Iv'e gone to very impressivley decorated haunts only to walk out in awe but not happy with the lackluster performances. A great haunt in my book is an owner that develpos his haunt on both feilds not just prettyness.

Personally i would take a 10 dollar haunt with a 20 dollar performance by the crew anyday, it's all about scaring the crap out of people and what they leave with for that ride home to chat about! People leaving your venue won't talk about layers upon layers of props and pretty's but more about the guy that got them good!

Props don't scare people, people scare people! I don't care how good that prop works!LOL
                            Last edited by Kevin Dells; 03-14-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Kevin, you are soooooo right. I've just returned from House of Torment's "Dark Stalkers," and even with all their incredible sets, it was their dedicated - and once again, amazing - actors who had my daughter and me talking all the way home.

From a mostly-customer's perspective, I would advise any haunt owner to invest in his or her actors. They are the battery that gives a haunt its charge.

Sarah

P.S. To make this post relevant to the topic, LOL . . . seminar DVDs on acting skills would be very helpful, especially to beginners.
                              Last edited by Haunting Copy; 03-15-2009, 02:28 AM.
                              Sarah Meier
                              Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                              "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Working...
                              X