I am really concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am really concerned

As I have been digesting the news from Vegas, I am REALLY worried about the future of the shows. If you were a vendor, why would you want to EVER exhibit with TW again in association with the costume show? Some, like Larry are saying we do not need the costume show, that we can survive on our own, and that might be true, but I will really miss the good old days of the big ass convention we all grew to love. It was a one stop shop for me and many others that ran ahaunt and a retail side.
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

I agree with you Dirk, I miss miss the big ass atmosphere too.

But we can't keep being pushed around and nobody caring about the Haunt show. TW might finally realize this year that we are a force to be reckoned with. We deserve a good quality show. They're gonna see after this coming show, that we can survive on our own, and they're gonna try to pull us in again, and combine the shows in Chicago.

But after this years TW, peoply are gonna be going to Houston.

We need to branch out on our own, and have our own haunt show.

Hopefully the HHA can pull something together and get the ball rolling.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I don't see why we can't say F**k transworld and just make MHC.. THE SHOW!!! That would be much better! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I love MHC and if I was Barry I would be EALLY tempted to go head to head with TW if TW is going to keep the events seperate. TW is a really screwed up company and I am sure Barry could put on a much better show. Hell, they already do!! Barry and his crew are a great bunch of people and put on a great show. The one bad thing about their convention is it takes place in JUNE, which is way too late for many vendors and buyers to be placing huge orders. If Barry move the convention to late March, like St louis this year, then he might have a chance, but that is Barry and his teams decision

Comment

Thank you for the vote of confidence gentlemen. It is much appreciated.

Without going into all of the details, the idea has been discussed with many people in the industry prior to the St Louis show even being finalized. However, without advance commitments from the vendors it would be hard to go head to head with any existing show.

If anyone follows the industry from my perspective you know we will be doing the same thing again this year as we have done for the past number of years. Wait and see how the TW show does and then wait and see what they decide to do next. By that time I will once again have signed contracts and the cycle will continue...

Comment

Rubies

1ST I agree with RON %100 about bringing the shows back together. There are many buyers that have to hit 2 shows because of the split.
            But........Transworld DOES NOT DECIDE if the shows will be together or apart.
            ITS RUBIES!!! RUBIES split the show this year not transworld.
            Just remember who 800lb GORILLA really is!
            sigpic
            PEACE, ADAM
            www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Who the hell is RUBIES? I prefer MHC anyways. I've noticed that most of you talked up TW as being the best thing to ever happen to the industry until Vegas happened and now most of you want to down it. The first show I heard of was MHC you guys introduced me to TW so I have a special place for MHC. Anywho I'm sure if Ben made MHC the "exclusive" haunt show then the guys at MHC could work on moving the show into March. Just a comment. But seriously who the hell is rubies? Vincent This Time!
              Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

Originally posted by oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR View Post
                Who the hell is RUBIES?
                Seriously?

Rubies is probably the largest costume manufacturer ouy there.

When you walk through a partyt supply store at halloween time, probly 75% or more of the costumes are made by Rubies.

When they were at TW, they usually took up 4 or 5 full aisle setions.

They are by far the largest vendor to display at TW.
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Oh cool thanks for the info B-RAd. Vincent This Time!
                  Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

Next thing people will be asking is who is David Bertilino.

Comment

It takes a lot of money and a professional company to produce a TRADESHOW and well you must make it a full time job. I think the guys at MHC and these other shows have full time jobs. I myself have the means to promote and produce a haunt only show, I could raise the money, I know what needs to be done, and without a doubt I can do it.

But I have a full time job also...

I will help someone produce a haunt and attraction show but it wouldn't be one of these hearse rally, make up war shows, nothing wrong with those but that doesn't attract qualified buyers.

Yes I know tradeshows are not as much fun as a convention but they are not intended to be they are intended to be a business to business show.

Shows are needed especially for the haunt industry because most of us are still ma and pa operations. I will go as far as to say that the Halloween retail show has changed so much it doesn't need Houston or Transworld. Its just an evolution and I do think maybe Transworld should cancel Chicago and throw in the towel.

It will be worse next year in Chicago than it was this year in Vegas...its over and done. Its not just Rubies who did this because look Houston wasn't much better...

Face it retail for Halloween is now dominated by less than 10 buying groups and they don't need tradeshows. Ma and Pa costume stores is nearly extiction and with it goes these shows both of them. I think Houston back by Rubies has a better chance of holding on but sadly Transworld is probably done.

They had a great run, they made a lot of people a lot of money, and they deserve credit but now its time to move on... St. Louis will be a success for the vendors and the buyers. We didn't sell out the floor space but we can in fact we can double it I know it for a fact.

We have room to grow a lot of room to grow... I hope we can work with transworld on this and bring their retail experience to the haunt show, meaning bring retail buyers here, bring retail vendors here, to us, while bringing in 5 times the amusement vendors, food vendors, insurance companies and the like.

We need to bring in pumpkin patches, corn mazes, amusement parks, ren fairs, fec's and more...

we could have a show so big within 3 years you'll never even remember there was ever a retail show you missed.

We have to act professional, reasonable, use our brains not our hearts.

We will be successful!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President
                      www.HalloweenProductions.com
                      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Who Iz Me?

People will wonder since they gave me the wrong middle initial on that grave marker on the "Hill", I died in 1953!
                        Death doesn't stop some people. It doesn't stop my "Special Helpers" here in my haunted, haunted house.
                        That "Invisibility" thing could be very usefull if I could figure that one out.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Larry, I am sure that you are not saying all you want from a tradeshow are a bunch of people lined up at your booth with a suitcase of money ready to spend and once they are done at the booths, you want them to leave>?. Tthat's not what the majority of buyers that go to these tradeshows want. To us, "normal" people, a convention is a chance to learn, to visit other haunts, to hang out and meet new people, to see some people wearing crazy costumes, to get drunk, to get away from the family etc. If you put on a trade show, or help produce a tradeshow without fun things for people to do after they have spent their money, I think you will find it will die a VERY quick death...

Comment

Just me but....

I can't see why there can't be a Tradeshow with a convention feel.

Attract the big buisnesses by getting the buyers there, but have the atmosphere of the classes, make up wars, novelty stuff etc.

Why would that be so wrong? It would have something for everyone and be a juggernaut - THE place to go.

Haunt Owners could get not only product, but have access to guest actors, consultants, people to teach their people.
                            Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Dirk,

It's not about getting drunk at the conventions, aren't we all supposed to be adults here? We wonder why we have been looked down upon by some Halloween vendors. When we act like fools and instead of learning and networking we use our time together and get drunk and be like that nasty chick who was walking around in the pasties last year and the others walking around in questionable costumes, we only prove we are not an industry of professionals but pretenders.

Remember, when you go to the conventions you not only represent yourself, and your attraction, you also represent the WHOLE industry...

Darkangel

Comment

Working...
                              X