Sceamworks of Atlanta Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sceamworks of Atlanta Auction

Can anyone tell me anything of this haunt? Is it worth going to? The auction is in Feb. by Norton auctioneers. Thanks for any comments.

http://www.screamworksatlanta.com/

He was trying to sell it through some of the boards... I have lost a hard drive since I emailed him about the event. And I learned the hard way I was not backing up my OutLook email addresses with the inbox. So I can't give you an email addy.... but you may be able to search on the event here and find a thread.
    http://www.innerfears.com/
    http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Its being put into an auction in February...the whole thing will be auctioned by Nortons. It might already be listed on their site...

These guys LOST everything, they're really down in the dumps and just need to recoup as much of their money as they can. They had to have the auction quick because they're moving back to New York, and they're paying like $5000 per month for rent. This was a total flop even though they spent tons of money on it and hired the Godfather.

They had hired non other than Leonard Pickel, to be their consultant, and he sold them a bunch of used attractions he designed. So what you're looking at is something he did for these guys...if you know anything about Leonard Pickel you know what this looks like.

Those guys did another haunted haunt called Shipwreck, which they claim they did mostly themselves, it was clearly the best one of the bunch. They have a blackhole tunnel which seemed to be in good condition.

I took tons of pics of this thing...would someone like me to upload them?

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Here's the link for the auction

http://www.nortonauctioneers.com/Auc...am%20Works.pdf
        Gary
        Midnight Evil Productions
        www.MidnightEvil.com
        Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
        www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

Larry,
          It would be nice to see those pics, thanks.
          -PH
          www.HauntGraphics.com

Comment

Well I hope I am not stepping on any toes.... here is what he sent me when I asked for photos in early November. Larry probably has better photos than this.....

http://www.geocities.com/scareullc/Main.html
            http://www.innerfears.com/
            http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Thanks for the links dr Ozombie! and yes Larry if you could download pics, that woud be great. Ihave done a haunted corn maze for 7 years and a haunt in our woods but am getting tired of being dependent on the weather, which in Mn. it can suck in Oct. This is my first venture into what would be an enclosed haunt. Are these haunts bad if they are designed by this Leonard guy, if not what would be a fair estimate I might want to bid on any of these? Thanks again for all help and info.

Comment

When I get a chance today I will attempt to upload them. Rich Hanf is trying to contact these guys for an interview...it would be a great story about what went right and wrong. When you spend $500,000.00 to run a haunt and fail, I think there is some valuable lessons to be learned.

One off the top of my head is DO NOT EVER HIRE the know it all who seems to flop everything he touches. His string of disasters is NOW legendary! Is there EVEN one success for the Godfather? I'm NOT dogging him, this is EXACTLY why I speak up when he goes around claiming to be the bible or the godfather, or some legend.

People like these guys buy into that bull and look where it gets them...bankrupt!

Aside from that I'm sure these guys would tell you that location, location, location matters. They told me they didn't have the location that they thought they did. Lastly, their attraction wasn't really that excited, and thats putting it nice...you have to look down the road with Netherworld, who has set the standard in the market.

You can't come to town with a bunch of Pickel houses and think the market will accept that when another haunt has set a standard, which for anyone would be hard to match. I would be interested to learn about what they think they did wrong...they probably could help the industry more than anyone could due to their attempt to go for broke.

They went for it...it didn't work out. Personally I feel sorry for them, they're really nice guys! I really feel bad for them!

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

You know really that is a good idea trying to get them to interview and talk about what possibly went wrong. I think that kind of information would be useful. Maybe for the next magazine?
                  Jared Layman

Comment

Agreed. A successful haunt is far more than simply putting up a new or used attraction and hoping it would work. Location, manpower, access, logistics, a sensible budget.

Let us see, 5,000 per month for RENT? For THAT kind of money, they could have purchased some rural land to build on and the rent would instead be a mortgage, with equity building up. Also, how can one possible expect to recoup and make money on that kind of rent?

Would love to know their history, why from moving to New York to Atlanta to run their haunts. Almost like a babe in the woods things.

QUESTION: Was this group IAHA members or members of Hauntworld, by any chance? To me, if you don't go about getting into the haunt community to learn what you can and make connections and learn the ins and outs of things, but instead rely upon a single consultant resource, THAT to me is stupid. It is like putting all of your money into a single stock advisor's wisdom without checking out the marketplace or knowing the world of stockmarketing.
                    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Hmm

Gee Larry there you go again.......
                      It was a bad plan before Leonard got involved!

So Larry is Hauntworld going to sponsor Dream Reapers along with Leonard and Haunted Attraction? (haven't asked either of you yet so don't think I have some master plan)

I mean what better way to unite the industry
                      :shock:

Oh and NightmareTony....we pay double that in Chicago for rent...ALL YEAR LONG! Come check out what 125,000 a year can buy you when you are at Transworld, we will be open!
                      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Ken,

No there Larry doesn't go again... Ken I don't think you'll ever understand why I point these things out. Is it because I don't like the guy? NO! Believe it or not that is NOT the reason.

In my opinion this guy is the biggest failed haunter around, he couldn't make it with his own haunts in Myrtle Beach, CLOSED, he couldn't make it in Salem, CLOSED, he couldn't even pass fire codes in Wildwood, NJ, (haunt set up the haunt and then the pier had to push off the haunt off the pier by a bulldozer into a trashcan (true story) ). He was the main consultant to Madison Scare Garden, FAILED (lost according to Lynton Harris over $800,000.00 and Lynton told the whole industry he was sold piles of wood). Another example is this boat he worked on, which he got fired and sued, now you have Atlanta Screamworks. But let me tell you I'm sure there are many more in between...heck just look at all the units he has for sale. WHY?

Let me tell you Ken, you say Screamworks was flawed from the get go, ya it was from the minute they let Leonard talk them into buying those used haunted houses it was flawed. Leonard was their consultant, he's the one who sold them these attractions he was their guy...they looked to the Godfather for advice and well the trackrecord stays on track doesn't it.

When a guy goes around TELLING people who don't know any better 'I'm the godfather, I'm the bible of the industry...' some people believe it and hire this guy, and then they join the long list of failures and disappointments, atleast from my opinion. If I'm wrong show me how I'm wrong, show me what I'm saying isn't true. If we allow people to believe this guy is really the GODFATHER of this industry, another sucker could be taken to the farm and lose everything.

I know just how hard it is to make it in this industry and so do you Ken...do you want this to happen to another person? I will say this much, if someone tries to open a haunt in Chicago a big one, the best thing you can hope for is they hire this guy...LOL.

If you met those guys I'd feel sorry for them as well I know I do! Look I won't rant about it again, just understand where I'm coming from, as I said its a tough business, and people especially if they are to spend $500k to get started need to know good information, I just would feel guility allowing someone to believe that one person is the godfather or the bible of this industry. It just isn't true and no one that I know believes this!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

The bottom line right now I guess is not to argue about the bad advice they got, but spread the word that you can pick up some equipment pretty cheap at an auction in Atlanta.

These guys will probably never get back into the industry, they need to sell their equipment and are hoping as many people as possible come to the auction.

UNDERSTAND THIS: This auction will NOT be your typical auction. They're auctioning off each attraction not parts. You buy a whole entire attraction.

The auction should go pretty quick!
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

o.k. please correct me if I'm wrong. but what I see in the posts. these haunts are not something I should waste my time on. From some of the pics I've seen they dont"t look alot different than some other haunts I've gone to. Is Leonard Pickels haunt designs just that bad. some do seem very small for the value. Thanks for everyone:s help.

Comment

Here is my HONEST view...

The haunts are not good that goes without saying. The pirate one isn't bad and the mansion one could be fixed up with REAL props. What you're really buying is a wall system, something you could very easy make into something better.

There is nothing wrong with the mazes themselves, although a lot of the wood is particle board, which really sucks. Someone can buy these things and set them up at their haunts and use them as side attractions to make an extra buck. They will need someone to make them look better that goes without saying. But you're getting a complete maze...what its worth to you I don't know.

But if you can pick them up for $10,000 to $20,000 each you'd probably make a lot of money with them as side shows, upcharge events.

I don't know what they will or won't sell for...the best one is the Pirate one, second to that is the mansion. There is almost nothing to the others, outside the black hole tunnel which we all can use.

I would say if you're looking for extra attractions you might consider going to this auction and bidding. It could be worth it to you!

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X