how much repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much repair

a friend of mine tells me about a run down building that has history and a great atmosphere that would make a great haunt. however she keeps telling me how run down it is..keeping in mind i have yet to see this place. my questions:

how much money do you think should be invested in reparing a place to make a haunt. what sort of things should i look for in a run down building?
    (can i board up windows and still keep the fire marshall happy?)

Before you sign a lease on the building, you will want to make sure you discuss the building with your Fire Marshal and Building Inspector. They should be able to tell you what needs to be done in order to meet fire and safety codes. If the building is outside the city limits and whether or not it is grandfathered under older codes can make a significant difference in the requirements. The amount you want to invest into the building will depend on the lease agreement. See if you can determine a lease price on the building and then go from there. You may find that you have to make improvements on the building to meet code. Thsi will be to the benefit of the building owner. For that reason you may be able to use the renovations/improvements as leverage to get a better lease price. There is a lot that has to be considered in the lease. Who will pay utilities, trash, etc. I hope that helps some... :wink:

Kel
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

The first consideration is a personal one. Do you have construction experience , talents, tools and time to do the majority of the work needed and could you get it done within a usable timeframe, especially if there is borrowed money , with interest, that is expected to be getting repaid?
      Looking at the building: Parking? Zoning?
      As far as the size of the building, there are various styles of haunts that can be performed within a smaller floorspace if this had to happen, but what style of a haunt business would you feel comfortable providing for your audiences? Are you basically an actor, administrator, are you a peep-hole person? what are you looking at? you can tell me, I won't tell anyone, really, I won't.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

There is a big subtlety of it being YOUR property and not a lease arrangment as to who has the authority and how far their authority extends to tell you what you can or can not do. You have to cut out the middle men as well as a landlord will be the one circumventing your progress with the officials.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

..and Gregg can possibly provide you with some phone contacts for that mercenary Death Squad, if nothing else seems to be working.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I won't tell anyone, really, I won't.[/quote]

But his cat will blab to everyone.lol.
            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Why do you think he is about to bite Mr. Tuxedo's head off?
              The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Boarded up windows

Jason to my knowledge you can board up the windows BUT you have to have them to where they are on hinges so when and if HEAVEN FORBID a fire breaks out they should be able to break away so Firefighters can get through them or coustomers can get out. other than that I think you would be safe. Of course talk to your state Fire marsal to make sure even that is acceptable.
                5 years in the business and still ticking
                Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
                USSN

Comment

Anyone not liking the boarded up windows because of "Historical" reasons should be informed that closing off the sunlight from the inside of the house preserves the paint and wall paper by keeping it from fading, but then if the person making such a statement works in a museum, then you know they really don't know much about preserving historical items. (even though they might think they do)
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                  X