No announcement yet.

1st Impressions Of St Louis Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't looking for makeup. But, I noticed very little in that category.
    I actually saw little in the variety in what I was looking for. I bet if there were
    numerous vendors selling the types of masks I was looking for, the minimum would be a different story as well.

I'd order offline, but I hate it because you can never judge what you are getting.

Comment

I really enjoyed St. Louis. The downtown was great, it seemed very safe and I didn't mind the weather at all. I'm used to it being from Ohio.
      Spooky Wishes
      Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoMania View Post
        I wasn't looking for makeup. But, I noticed very little in that category.
        I actually saw little in the variety in what I was looking for. I bet if there were
        numerous vendors selling the types of masks I was looking for, the minimum would be a different story as well.

I'd order offline, but I hate it because you can never judge what you are getting.
        Exactly Phsyco!

You can look at the little thumbnail all you want of each product but calculating that times 100 is just a joke!

Thats why im very curious and i think it's an awesome question of how haunts that have huge numbers of actors do all their ordering and still get a show price. Paying retail for that much make up is crazy and i know thats a huge expenditure for all haunts every year. These products should be readily available to us for show prices just as the props are. It's part of our bussiness why not!

Comment

Perhaps you could try a "group buy" if you had enough people wanting the products.

Comment

Been in Chicago & St. Louis. Liked St. Louis better for location even though Chicago closer for me. But as a trade show exhibitor for fishing/hunting shows I pass on nominating a place to vendors who had to deal with move in and move out issues...I want to go where vendors want to go.

Who ever you are who beat me to buying the Distortions Gargoyle Shock off the floor; I will come get it and store it for you till the end of the year...no storage charges.

If it goes back to St. Louis check out the restraunt a few blocks west of Ren. Hotel (on a north east corner of that block...south side of street) Reasonable prices and generous portions....meatloaf even better than my moms!! Hotels burger was good; but a real meal down street for same price. Then come back to Rens. bar.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoMania View Post
              Perhaps you could try a "group buy" if you had enough people wanting the products.
              I would think that would be a logistical nightmare! I already pull my hair out buying just what we need.LOL

Comment

My two cents. Short and sweet.

Loved the show over all.
                The booths should have been a little more spread out.
                Vendors were very nice and had great product.
                The HHA seams to be going in a positive direction.
                Great social opportunities at the bar and the Darkness.
                The city was clean and nice people.
                The columbia tours were pretty good. VERY FRIENDLY OWNERS, hint hint Larry. Although a bit to long of a drive.
                The Darkness was a very pretty haunt. Although a little over priced. Thursday night I thought I was paying for a chance to see how things were built & video tape (lights on ???). Only the show lights were on so videoing was no good. If I have people in my haunt for a lights on tour, the house lights are on. what is it called when your open for business???? Lights off tour? I didnt see a difference. We were not allowed to go behind the scenes at all. O' well, you live and you learn.
                I spent more money then was planning on. (thanks to great items at the HHA auction)...LOL Thanks to all the generous vendors.
                The weather was fine. Never unbearable. (It was cold everywhere). Even back home in Texas.

I think we have finally found a great combination for our industries growth. I see-many more vendors and buyers coming on board next year.

See every one then,
                Marc
                Last edited by The Parker House; 03-31-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I have to say, I thought it was great! The vendors really blew it out with lots of new amazing products. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more established vendors were feeling some heat from the new guys, such was the level of quality from some of them. Tons of well done full figure zombies, lots of folks with costume stuff, and several new animation companies with really cool stuff.

The hotel/food situation was great, and we have a new bar to hang out in! I don't know about buyer/non buyer percentages - I do know there were TONS of Haunted house owners there, and most of them seemed to be buying. (I know we were!) Most of the vendors I spoke with at least did OK, and many were thrilled. I heard there were a few that did not do well, primarily those with small/unusual lines of product.

Once again I have to thank the haunt owners who opened haunts to everyone. It is a very difficult thing both logistically and mentally to let it "all hang out" . While most of us who attend can understand what it is like to open a show, and have a "first night" some can be not so kind. I remember years ago when we opened for IAAPA to find folks in our backstage area taking pictures of our actual "dirty Laundry" in the costume room ( We had requested NO PHOTOS) I want to thank these haunts for being so open and sharing with us all.

Overall the feeling at the show was great, of success and new beginnings.
                  To everyone who attended, the vendors, the buyers, the haunts who opened their doors, the seminar speakers, and all the folks who spent so much time and effort to make this show great I say thank you!
                  Ben Armstrong
                  NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                  www.Fearworld.com
                  www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I enjoyed the show a lot this year. But I have enjoyed it every year no matter where it was. The only bummer about the show this year was I didn't bring my kids with me for the first time. 5 days away from them was too long! I did the Darkness tour both nights and had a great time. Larry was friendly to us.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

One vendors point of view

The short answer: we had record sales compared to any other single tradeshow, so it was a huge success in that respect!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to check us out and thanks to all of our new customers that purchased products. A big special thanks to all of our returning customers, which tells me we are doing something right with both products and customer support.

My thoughts about the facilities is that it was very easy to drive into the city and unload. We stayed at the Ren and the walk from the Ren to the center was very close and fast. Found lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

The only downside would be that the utilities rentals were very high and maybe Vegas and Chicago are the same now, but those prices were a rip off. Since TW gets a cut of the hotel sales, my guess is that we won't be getting to stay at the Ren for $55 a night next year so hotel costs will be as much as Chicago next year.

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                      1) Start the show on Thursday rather than Friday and make the show on Sunday end at noon. We see this time and time again people leave on Sunday, so start the show on Thursday and end at noon on Sunday.
                      Larry
                      Larry, I think adding another day to the show is not necessary. Every vendor that I spoke to liked the fact that this show is shorter than the Halloween show. All it would do is add more costs to everyone. It’s a no brainer that when you add more cost to the vendors, the price of their products go up.

The Halloween show was longer because it was much bigger and the Halloween buyers needed more time to get to all of the booths. This show does not have as many vendors so I really don’t think many people needed more than three days to see it all. Folks will just need to make an effort to get up before 4:00pm to check out the show! Closing the show maybe at 3:00 or 4:00 pm on Sunday would be ideal since the showroom floor starts to empty out early afternoon as folks start their travels home.

I'm guessing the Darkness would be the only one to really benefit from an extra night allowing for extra tours!

If vendors only had one person working their booth to take orders shame on them. We added three additional helpers this show so attendees could be serviced properly. I hope everyone got their questions answered and orders taken, if not please contact me.

Overall it was a great show, We enjoyed hanging out with old friends and meeting a lot of new ones too!

Thanks all,
                      Jeff Londos
                      Monster-Tronics
                      Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                      www.Monster-Tronics.com
                      Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
                      www.halloweenhauntvendors.com
                      www.youtube.com/MonsterTronics
                      Regards,
                      Jeff Londos
                      Monster-Tronics
                      Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                      www.Monster-Tronics.com
                      Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Yeah, having it 4 days would not be needed. 1 day to walk the floor several times and start thinking about possibilities . Day 2, do the same and start to firm up decisions and making some purchases. Day 3 final decisions and purchases. That is the way I did it this year. In reality, I could have done it all in one day if I needed, two for sure, but I have a very small budget and have to make sure I am making the right choice....
                        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

I would have to agree with the shorter format. I have been going to the show for a few years, including Chicago (3x), Vegas and now St. Louis. I was there on Friday morning at 10:00 and Saturday at 9:30. It only comes once a year get there early and a good start on the day. I saw most of the vendors on Friday, made some decisions Friday night, and bought some items on Saturday while visiting other vendors. I have to agree a little disappointed in the lack of make-up there but some vendors probably took a wait and see attitude. There were some booths that were packed most of the day on Saturday. Sunday is a day when everyone wants to go home, if you are a vendor. You have been pounding it hard for two days and now it is time to get out of Dodge. I work as a vendor during Car Events and I do the same thing. Sunday is a day to leave so I would close at noon on that day as well.

What would be nice to see is a "fair" price on things like soda, water, and sandwiches. The machines in the lobby were $2.00 and the bottles inside were $3.75. That is just ridiculous as far as I am concerned. You will have people leave the show to go get something to eat and some will not come back after they do eat.

Comment

It was fun but it's too small still. The good thing about the Halloween vendors is it was more booths with more to look at. The haunt show could be done in one day easily, 2 tops.
                            I noticed some of those IAAPA vendors had no traffic any day I walked by...I'm assuming they won't be back. There was one guy there with one costume he was selling, a tree costume, that he was selling for almost $20k!!! Was he nuts?

Darkangel

Comment

Working...
                            X