New Debate... Kids at Transworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
    My kids were not really at the show but for like 15 minutes. We didn't have a babysitter, so my mother came to the convention center to pick them up. They wanted to come to the show and stay, they really loved telling me everything they thought we should buy. If they could stay at the show, or be allowed I'd have them there with me all day. They love this stuff as I assume most of your kids do as well.

I think if TW charges an addmission fee let anyone who pays attend.

Or offer day care or something.

I know a lot of us have kids and we would love to bring them. If I go to MHC or Hauntcon I'm bringing my kids because they would love it!!!!!!!!

Larry

larry your kids were there for 15 minutes! kids do not have that long of an attention span. they grow tired and cranky. a SERIOUS buyer, like yourself needs no distractions nor a child that will be pulling on your shirt saying they are ready to go.

for a vendor to have their kids in their booth..well that's a buyers turn off. there is just something about that.

Comment

Kids at TW

Must be at least 11 years old and must stay with adult.

Comment

Is it possible even if there is normally no kids allowed to get some sort of special pass or something to allow you in. Because I am 14 and I am really interested in the haunt industry, ever since I was like 8, I have been kinda obsessed with Halloween and haunted houses. And last year I actually got the chance to do my first home haunt and it was amazing. If it was possible to do some kind of special pass or something just for the people under 18 that are really into it I think that would be awesome. And you could still have the no one under 18 rule.

Comment

There are some haunts out there that aren't full of blood and gore, and all the high tech stuff we see at TW..... If that groups that owns that style haunt has never been exposed to these items, and come to the show for the first time with their 11 ro 12 yr. old kids.... they would be overwhelmed!

There could be some serious issues started!

And just as maliciousstudios stated.... I was that 16 or 17 yr old kid that wanted to party and hook up with older chicks and etc., etc. I dont want to deal with that shit while I'm trying to have a good time.

Another thing, Sarah (Haunting Copy) was with me during the show. On Saturday, I pretty much ditched her during the show. Only because I had my buying to do, and I didnt want any distractions, what-so-ever. I feel bad for "ditching" her for a few hours, but that's how I work best. With no distractions.

If there's a bunch of teens and tweens running around, or even worse... little kids. I would have a serious issue and would have a lot of problems dealing with this!
          Brad Bowen
          Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
          www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I am a very serious 15 year old home haunter who will be 16 for the next haunt show and I believe that the age limit should be dropped to 14, for the most serious of us who actually make the decisions for our haunt. As you all know one of the main appeals of the show is that the best vendors bring the biggest booths with the coolest new products at the lowest prices of the year. This is what we, the aspiring pro haunters need access to. But for everyone between 14 and 17 there should be a standard list of admission requirements just like the adults.

-School ID, Learner's Permit or Driver's License
            -Membership Cards to HHA, IAHA, IAAPA etc. or any combination of these
            -Personally drawn up plans for the haunt
            -Subscription to Hauntworld, HAM or HHA card to verify both
            -Flyer from previous years/ photos
            -URL to website
            Mike Cirrincione
            Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
            MAC Productions presents:
            Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
            AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
            Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
            Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

Comment

I am sorry but I still think 14 is way to young to attend. I understand that some are really interested in haunted houses and want to build one one day which is awesome! I built my first home haunt when I was 12 inside my parents garage. But this show is serious and a lot of the props and items cost lots and lots of money. I would think a young teen at 14 wouldn't have a serious budget unlike serious haunt buyers.
              ~Bill Mlinac
              The Deadland Haunted House
              www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
              www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badlander2000 View Post
                I am a very serious 15 year old home haunter who will be 16 for the next haunt show and I believe that the age limit should be dropped to 14,

.... there should be a standard list of admission requirements just like the adults.

-School ID, Learner's Permit or Driver's License
                -Membership Cards to HHA, IAHA, IAAPA etc. or any combination of these
                -Personally drawn up plans for the haunt
                -Subscription to Hauntworld, HAM or HHA card to verify both
                -Flyer from previous years/ photos
                -URL to website
                I can agree with this. Now I'd say the minimum age should be more like 16 than 14.

Just like Motograter said... those that are 14 or 15 most likely dont have a budget for this kind of stuff.

Badlander, I'm with you on this one. I had to wait till I was 18 to visit TW. If they can set some requirements like what you just listed, then I dont see a problem with someone that can meet those requirements.

I know there are several people out there that could make it, if this were the case
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Think of the BAD PR, what if kids were there when that church group showed up. They would have run with it for sure, I can see it now "Look at them, leting small children in there, look at that booth F#cked up stuff and the kids standing around it, how can we let this go on." No thanks we don't need to give people ammo so they can shoot at us.
                  Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Ice

Originally posted by SomeThingInTheIce View Post
                    Think of the BAD PR, what if kids were there when that church group showed up. They would have run with it for sure, I can see it now "Look at them, leting small children in there, look at that booth F#cked up stuff and the kids standing around it, how can we let this go on." No thanks we don't need to give people ammo so they can shoot at us.
                    Good point I can hear the service on sunday, the preacher would tell his congregation that it was bad because they have Fu@ked up stuff!!! ><

Comment

bringing kids to the show has NOTHING to do with the vendors products OR the vendors names.... lets try to bend the conversation in a direction other than pointing at a Vendors name or what they sell... we all sell some sick stuff it would be easy for them to point at almost anything to place blame. The debate is about kids ( thats where we need to keep it )

The "Kids" debate has allot of drama attached to it, "Should it be allowed ? Shouldnt it be allowed ?" I dont think it even matters what we think....in the end Im sure Larry will do what he wants. I stand by my opinion.... I think it would be a big mistake, maybe not the first time, or the second, but sooner or later it will prove to take the show to a sour note.

As far as the younger deadicated haunters under 18.... "It wont be long and you will be 18, the show will still be there. Keep learning and accelling at what you do because everyone will be depending on you to run everying later. Everything takes time.... drivers licenses, school, college, becoming an adult ( 18 ) or even growing to the ripe age of 21 so you can purchase alcohol ( HERES A SPOILER.... 21 ISNT AS GREAT AS YOU MAY THINK ...LMFAO ) Everything takes time.... dont be in to much of hurry to grab life by the reigns.... this will come sooner than you think.
                      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                      www.maliciousstudios.com
                      "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                      http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Originally posted by maliciousstudios View Post
                        bringing kids to the show has NOTHING to do with the vendors products OR the vendors names.... lets try to bend the conversation in a direction other than pointing at a Vendors name or what they sell... we all sell some sick stuff it would be easy for them to point at almost anything to place blame. The debate is about kids ( thats where we need to keep it )
                        I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't trying to slam ANY vendor for the type of props they sell. What I WAS trying to do was make a point that children shouldn't see some of the stuff on the show floor, due to the adult content. Perhaps it was a mistake of me to use specific vendor names... if anyone took offense, I apologize.

I just don't think young kids belong in such an environment, that's all.
                        Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                        Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Is all cool.... please dont take me the wrong way, I come off to strong ( ALLOT ) I also meant no foul.

I agree
                          "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                          www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Hey Venders!

Are you ready, willing and able to accept a check from a 15 yr. old?
                            Kind of gets "snaggy" doesn't it?
                            Legal age to be responsible for your own debts is....otherwise the Judge laughs at the person taking Jr.'s check, doesn't he? Unless Jr. looked fully grown and lied about it, of course, then the legal guardian pays?
                            I knew a car dealer who sold a car to a "kid" the kid wrecked the car, didn't have to pay for it, because he as not of legal age yet.
                            As far as "kids" and creative ideas and enthusiasm? You bet! I think the average haunter loses much by not listening to and considering those young people when they talk.
                            what! No foul? You don't have to slap Adam's wrists when he goes up for the shot unless he's got his eye set on making it a slam-dunk! (How many fouls do you have left to give?)
                            Last edited by Jim Warfield; 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I've gathered a few things from this thread at this point;

1 - The only people that want kids to come have kids of their own and from what I've inferred, the kids aren't helping make the buying decision, but more of a "trip with Daddy" kind of thing.

2 - To the "highly interested 14 year olds" - What happens when you turn 16, get a car and can leave the house whenever you want? I used to be *very* into paintball and was actually very good. I was on a team for a few years and did tourneys in Vegas, Florida, Virginia, etc. When I got my drivers license, that all changed. Money for paintball went out the window, I had a car, insurance and gas to pay for. Not to mention the ability to not be stuck at home all the time, you tend to lose interest in things that are otherwise ungodly important to you right now.

Originally posted by jason View Post
                              however, i do like the idea of letting teens (with an adult) in on a designated time/day.

^^^^ THIS. A fantastic idea. I would guess Sundays around 6pm would be about the best time to let in anyone under 18.
                              -Brandon Kelm
                              Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

14-year-old boy impersonates Chicago cop

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...icago-cop.html

this is kind of funny..... BUT THINKING OF THIS, YOU READY TO OPEN THIS CAN OF WORMS AT THE SHOW ?? HOW MUCH DRAMA WOULD THIS CAUSE ?

Malicious Studios
                                www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Working...
                                X