Admission fee for TW next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post
    Doesn't the whole concept of "invitations" put undue pressure on the vendors' customer relationships? They risk pissing off some customers while appearing as though they "favor" others. Then there is the bureaucracy of the whole thing.
    Also, if I get invited by a vendor, I feel a little obligated to buy something from that vendor. But, I like to buy from different vendors every year. That way I get a little bit of everything, and more vendors get my money. I like to support everyone I can.

But if someone invites me that I bought from last year, I may not want any of their new products.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Originally posted by spookhaven View Post
      I certainly would not have paid 50.00 per person for this show. There wasn't enough vendors there for us. We were somewhat disappointed in the show size. Vendors that showed were good but I thought we were missing some key players.
      Now what key players would that be?

Now remember this is the first year the Haunt show is on it's own. AND remember that this was the most vendors this Haunt show has ever had.
      Brad Bowen
      Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
      www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

The other shows charge a fee because they are open to the public. TW is only for industry people. You must have approved credentials to gain entrance to the show floor. There should not be a charge to enter unless they plan on letting in the general public. Or they could charge just the people who do not qualify under the current guidelines to enter.

Just my opinion,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
        Deadly Intentions Haunted House
        www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
        1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

I do not have a problem paying to get into the show. Maybe allow each haunt to have two people for free, and after that charge per head. I get irritated when I want to look at something or talk to someone and have to fight several people from the same haunt who are crowding the booth. I can understand having three or five people maybe, but ten plus? If you want to reward your team, take them to dinner, MHC or Hauntcon, or something. I bring three with me each year, two look at actor based needs, one is to offset my sparkling personality. They all know to not get in anyones way and not to tie up the vendors. If I had to I can easily leave them at home, and I am sure if most of you really want to admit it, you could leave most of your crews at home too. If TW wants to charge for admission and offset it with lots of good classes for actors, not just owner/operator type seminars, would anyone really fuss? I would love for the show to grow vendor and seminar wise, but it needs to be spread out more so people have more room to roam. That or eliminate some of the non-buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by The13thHour View Post
            If TW wants to charge for admission and offset it with lots of good classes for actors, not just owner/operator type seminars, would anyone really fuss? I would love for the show to grow vendor and seminar wise, but it needs to be spread out more so people have more room to roam. That or eliminate some of the non-buyers.
            I know it took us for EVER just to place a decent order with CFX. I had sooo many people bumping into me or brushing up against while we where trying to place and pay for our order. I just feel uncomfortable when I'm holding onto my wallet and people super close to me. I just wanted to yell back the F**K up people!!! But I kept my cool.
            ~Bill Mlinac
            The Deadland Haunted House
            www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
            www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Why not do like the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Las Vegas
              One of, if not the biggest trade shows in the world. (note below - 140,000 attendance)
              Why can't TW do something like this? After all TW is a Trade Show not a convention

This is from there websites FAQ page
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
              Why do I have to pay $100 to register for CES after October 31?

New this year, the fee structure for admission to all exhibits, TechZones, SuperSessions, keynotes and selected conference sessions has changed. Please take note of these important registration fees and dates:

Before November 1, 2008: FREE
              November 1, 2008: $100
              5:01 p.m. EST, January 2, 2009: $200

The nominal registration fee helps ensure attendee quality at the International CES, as this trade-only event is crafted specifically for consumer technology professionals. All show proceeds are re-invested into the industry by the show's producer, CEA. However, consumer technology professional can enjoy free registration before November 1.

[return to question list]

What are the requirements for attending International CES?

International CES is not open to the general public. You must be in the consumer electronics industry to be eligible to attend the show. Our attendees are made up of more than 140,000 individuals including manufacturers, retailers, content providers and creators, broadband developers, installers, engineers, corporate buyers, government leaders, financial analysts and the media—representing the United States, Canada, Mexico and more than 140 other countries. All attendees must be at least 16 years of age. Two forms of identification are required on-site (one photo ID and one proof of business affiliation/business card).
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

Just My 2 Cents
              Gary
              Midnight Evil Productions
              www.MidnightEvil.com
              Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
              www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

The nominal registration fee helps ensure attendee quality [/QUOTE]

I can see how this would help a LOT.
                Sarah Meier
                Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Haunting Copy hit the nail on the head!

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
                  TW is only for industry people. You must have approved credentials to gain entrance to the show floor.
                  www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
                  TW does NOT qualify anyone that they let in. If you have a computer and a printer, you can make a business card in less then a min. That is the minimum qualification.

If you’re going to TW just to party or like many just to take pictures and knock-off products then you might want to keep bitching about a fee.
                  Regards,
                  Jeff Londos
                  Monster-Tronics
                  Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                  www.Monster-Tronics.com
                  Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, though I was actually quoting MidnightEvil's post.
                    Sarah Meier

Comment

ummm, excuse me, I spent $ at the show. Not a kings fortune like some haunts, but lets just say around $10k and damnit, I still WILL bitch about a fee!!
                      www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Originally posted by xxxdirk View Post
                        ummm, excuse me, I spent $ at the show. Not a kings fortune like some haunts, but lets just say around $10k and damnit, I still WILL bitch about a fee!!
                        Ron, I think they're more concerned with keeping non-buyers (like me!) out, and people who just want to come in and "look at the cool stuff." I very seriously doubt they want to keep out anyone who's willing to pay more than three figures. That would be business suicide.
                        Sarah Meier

Comment

Sarah, Oops I missed that half quote symbol – credit to MidnightEvil's

Ron, The point was… that I believe any valid buyer and their crew will not have to pay a fee. Whether a vendor sends out free passes or if there is a credit type (which would be a bite to administer) system, non qualified attendees are costing YOU the buyer more money.
                          Regards,
                          Jeff Londos
                          Monster-Tronics
                          Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                          www.Monster-Tronics.com
                          Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Rebate

If TW is going to charge, they should start with all events that profit from them as well.

A charge of $20-25 or even $50 per person would be reasonable IF the fee could be rebated back to the buyer in their order to one of the vendors. Yes, it would be a chore to do the accounting, but it would solve the issue of qualified buyers and encourage buying. Those that already buy at TW would not have an issue with this and those that do not would be encouraged to, helping vendors.

I recently exhibited our haunt at a home show that charged attendees a few dollars entrance. They gave me ten passes to give to my customers/friends included with my booth fee. Maybe that would be anther way.

The comment that others charge is partially right. MWH does not charge for the exhibit floor. Hauntcon includes ALL seminars in the charge. IAAPA charges and the cost is much higher if the attendee is not a member of IAAPA.
                            Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                            Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

TW used to require you to show paid invoices of purchases made from your company, from 3 industry related companies. Not just a business card. They may not require that anymore.

I have not purchased anything at TW in the last couple of years. In fact I have not even gone to TW the last two years. But I have made huge purchases in years past. Not everyone who goes will make any purchases. I like to go to see all the new products and gain new ideas.

It is expensive enough just to attend these shows without having to pay for anything additional. Not every haunt profits hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some of us simply do this for the love of it. Let's not forget the haunts that are completely for charity.

To say that TW does not profit from hosting these conventions is total BS. Have they stated that this new fee will go directly to lowering booth prices? Let's remember that as a vendor, nobody is forcing you to set up if you think it costs too much. As a consumer I believe many of the industry vendors are charging way too much for their products. But, I have a choice wether or not to purchase from them.

Here is another fact. I don't have to attend TW to make my purchases. The Internet has almost completely eliminated the need for conventions. The only real reason to go to TW anymore is to socialize and to see the quality of the products first hand before making a purchase.

As far as the show floor being too crowded. Why not simply limit the amount of people that are allowed to attend from any one company. Vendors excluded. Four sounds reasonable. That is enough people to make any purchasing decisions. I have also seen haunts that have brought a dozen people with them to the show. I think it's ridiculous.

Oh well, I am starting to rant now. I will just say that I am against any admission fee unless I am getting something in return. A vendor discount coupon, free food voucher free seminar or something.

Howie
                              1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
                                Here is another fact. I don't have to attend TW to make my purchases. The Internet has almost completely eliminated the need for conventions. The only real reason to go to TW anymore is to socialize and to see the quality of the products first hand before making a purchase.
                                I really disagree here. First, there are a lot of products that look good on the internet, but it's a whole different thing seeing them live. I know I got a much better sense about how to use many props when I could actually see them up close, and with other props, I thought they looked alright in pictures and videos, but they blew me away live.

I think you'll see more high tech props in the undustry too, and many of those I think you really need to see up close. There were things as simple as a lighting controller that I'd seen online before, but added to my list right away after seeing it in action. I took something off my buy list for this year, because it seemed to good to be true to me, and I was hoping to see it used live. However, since the vendor didn't have the right amp to demo it, I wasn't able to see the test I needed to see to determine if it would meet our needs. Hopefully the right equipment is there next year, as I really hope to hear this prop in action, and won't purchase it without that happening.
                                sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Working...
                                X