X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What types of props???

Hey everyone.

I wanted to start a discussion.

What types of props do you like the most? Are you a sucker for a great looking static zombie. Does a cool animated effect send tingles up your spine? How about a killer looking wall panel?

Just curious to gage what everyones professional opinion is.

Best,

Jason.
    Producer
    Grimlock Manor Haunted Attraction
    http://grimlockmanor.com/

Since my haunt is a Haunted Hospital, what I like most are realistic human forms in various states of mutilation.

I can make my own animated objects to an extent, wall hangings and scenery I can make, but to make a really good looking human figure that can fool people into questioning whether they are an actor or a prop is difficult for me, so that type of prop is going to win my dollars over other types.

Comment

Props...

I like the kind of props that jump out at you..........

and are violent in their movements...like the ones Poison props makes....

Comment

I agree with Boni. If there was a prop that looked just like a human, and you had to stare at it for a few seconds to figure out if it's real or not.... thats what I like.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
          I agree with Boni. If there was a prop that looked just like a human, and you had to stare at it for a few seconds to figure out if it's real or not.... thats what I like.
          One problem I have with a lot of human props is they are 4' 5" tall. I want some 6' tall props. For me, that is always the dead give-away, the props are so petite. Put a realistic 6'5" human prop and I guarantee you people will think its real because no one makes props that big unless they are impalers or t-rex's.

Another thing that doe is adds a scare factor, people are scared of things that are bigger than them. I'm 6'5" tall and the shear terror I see on peoples faces when I start hunched up and then spring out at them towering over them is incredible.

SCREEEEEEEEEMMMMMMM, then OMG that guy was so huge.

Give me a prop that can do that, that is what I want.

Comment

I like animations with subtle believable movements, the herky jerky air driven ones blow realism right out of the window. Corpses that slowly turn their head or reach out their hands slowly. I think human props that just have a breathing mechanism in place to look like they are breathing would be a big hit if they were affordable.
            Im pretty hard to please though because there are few things that I cant make myself and I do not like to stray to far from my themes.
            Good topic, vendors start reading ,buyers keep posting,lol.
            Allen H
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I like the crazy violent ones. Just checked out poisonprops.com and that's right up my alley!
              I agree that some of the props I've seen are small and not realistic...I can't get over even going into a Halloween store and seeing "Lifesize Coffin Prop" (small print: 48 inches) What?!? 4 feet coffin? Lifesize!
              I'm 6'2 and wear boots that give me an extra inch or two and my character is a vampire. I crouch a lot when I jump out or come at people then when I get there I stand up and they freak out. It's fun!

Kirk
              Kirk Boemmel
              Dark Ghost Manor
              www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

I agree..

Glad everyone is liking this topic..keep the posts coming! Maybe we'll see some of this feedback acted upon by some of the vendors out there.

I agree with almost everyone. It's always cool to see a new unique creature prop but realistic props always seem to be the ones that creep people out a bit more.

I'd love to see some more slow moving/breathing type props, props that as you walk up to them you are not 100% sure if it is an actor or not making your guests more cautious and prone to being set up for a bigger scare!

What about wall panels. I know they are basic but does anyone like them? I do. I feel there is a need for more, they definitely add to the realism aspect of things not to mention attention to detail.

J.
                http://grimlockmanor.com/
                http://grimlockmanor.blogspot.com/

Comment

( damn )

lol.... how did you know what we were making ?? LMFAO ( SHHHhhhh)...lol
                  "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                  www.maliciousstudios.com
                  "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                  http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Dont get me wrong i like animatronics and some of the amazing stuff they do. But I love large foam filled static props as well. I love zombies rising from there tombs. Tombstones, crypts, coffins, old lanterns. Anything gothic. Im really into detail and making things look as realistic as possible. And nothings better than putting a static dummy that makes a person guess if its real or not. And then have a actor in an awesome costume that they think is fake stand further down in the maze and come to life and scare the hell out of someone!
                    Damon
                    Damon Carson

Comment

You have my attention

I like this topic A LOT!!!

I think ALLEN makes a great point too. Jerky moving props can look fake and not scary. Another good point he made was a Slow turning Corpes with a slow arm up motion....Very creepy. I think everything has its place. But in the end its all about personal taste and how to set up the REAL SCARE weather its an Actor or a Animatronic.

I look forward to more input.
                      sigpic
                      PEACE, ADAM
                      www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Since so many Haunters are Artisans and like to create their own stuff, a vendor would be smart to offer more "kit" type products especially as Boni stated, human type forms.

Example, must of us can weld a pretty stable rig that creates a pop up, not a big deal.
                        But WHAT do you pop up??? Too many build a form that "almost" looks human shape, then they stick a mask on a wig head to complete the look!!!

Masks are made to go OVER a head so that are always larger than a normal head.

Now if a vendor creates a prop head or torso that had a stable insert like a metal tube or such that was cast into the foam, then we make the armature and then bolt or attach the foam prop head (torso) and WA LA !! an effective looking animation!!

Cast a few other pieces, hands, arms, legs with a standard insert in each and Haunters can create their own animated pieces. Then expand to zombie pieces, etc all with the standard insert and you have a whole line for the build it your self Haunter!!

Any comments or ideas???

Rich
                        R&J Productions
                        Las Vegas, NV
                        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I guess I'm kind of old school in a way. Going back to the first time I'd ever been through the haunted mansion at Disney as a kid, I've always been a sucker for pepper's ghost effects.

I'm not a blood and gore guy. I'd actually like a haunt to be at least somewhat kid friendly. I think Pepper's ghost is one of those effects that can amaze both children and adults, and there are just so many ways it can be used.

(My second choice is 2 way mirror effects.)
                          sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Well, I like big costumes. I hope that is obvious.

I also agree about most companies zombies being tooooo small. That is why our zombies range from 5'10" to over 6' and appearing to weigh 200lbs. It really helps them appear to be more real when a static zombie caught out of the corner of your eye, and you think it is alive. I know the main logic behind them being smaller is to save on shipping. But there are several companies now who make good quality zombies. Sadly now there is a glutony of companies who do zombies. But that is good for the customer. You can pretty much find anything you need in that regard these days.

I also really enjoy actor driven props or puppets because they have a level of detail such as an animation, but take the best advantage of an actor and that is their timing.
                            I am not a big fan of animations because they are usually very herky jerky, but they provide great eye candy and a good distraction to set up for a scare.
                            Kevin R. Alvey
                            info at gore-galore.com
                            www.gore-galore.com
                            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

With me I like to stick with the "Victorian style haunted house". With all the essentials That a Victorian home would have in it. Old sofas, chars, candelabras, trunks, etc. These things should be accompanied by a realistic looking set. (Still working on that). I believe Animatronics are nice, but not essential to a good haunted house. Actors could take the place of any mechanical prop. But if you have a really really huge animatronic prop that would make your haunt that more ***king awesome.
                              Frank W. Balzer
                              FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
                              http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              www.RotHauntedHouse.com
                              www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X