Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Peeves

What experiences with customers do you absolutely HATE? Also, what do you run into every night that makes you want to donkey-punch someone? As a bonus; how do you handle it?

For me, I absolutely HATE it when someone drags someone up to me and goes "Hey, scare him/her!" I normally work out in the open so there are people walking around in all directions and many of them are watching you when these people do this. *sigh*

Most of the time I'm working in tandem so when this happens, my partner can sneak up behind the dragger and pop at them while I work a distraction. Most of the time it works. Mostly...
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

I can't stand it when people hit on me. I work in a bedroom scene and wear a dress so when I say something like "never look under your bed" the response from the customer usually is "well can I look under your dress?" I also get stuff like "Hey when do you get off work" and "can I have your number" and then the whole group they are with laughs and after hearing it 20 times in one night, it's really not that funny. And it comes from guys of all ages - teenagers to 60 year olds. It's even worse when they follow that up with a touch of some sort. It's the touching my leg or trying to put their arms around me that really annoys me. But I just stay in character and get out of any attemtped hug fast (and then appreciate the fact that I've been in karate for 2 years).
    sigpic

Comment

lol the stupidity of people does not cease to amaze me. My character is part mad scientist part willy wonka part spiritualist zealot....dont ask me to explain it just works. I go for a deep level emotional freak out scare where I am generally withen inches of the patrons (oh the pains I take for art lol). The thing I hate the most is the personal insults. For example, my haunt uses smells. I've gotten everything from "did you **** yourself?" to "is that your feet?" It's just amazing how rude people can be. However, I deal with it different than most people lol. I've been acting for 13 years and I am a great improv artist lol. If you get sarcastic or rude with me I, in character mind you, respond similarly to you. Doing so either:
      1. makes everyone in the group laugh at that person, making them look like an idiot
      2. makes him realise hes being a jerk and causes him to cool it

or the bad one
      3. he becomes a bigger jerk and you need to back off (this is a rarety and only occurs if I misread a person)

Hope this helps, or atleast entertains lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fear Unfathomed View Post
        I can't stand it when people hit on me. I work in a bedroom scene and wear a dress so when I say something like "never look under your bed" the response from the customer usually is "well can I look under your dress?" I also get stuff like "Hey when do you get off work" and "can I have your number" and then the whole group they are with laughs and after hearing it 20 times in one night, it's really not that funny. And it comes from guys of all ages - teenagers to 60 year olds. It's even worse when they follow that up with a touch of some sort. It's the touching my leg or trying to put their arms around me that really annoys me. But I just stay in character and get out of any attemtped hug fast (and then appreciate the fact that I've been in karate for 2 years).

thats just rude...but seriously fear when do you get off work lol im just playin I dont recall ever seeing you here lol welcome to the boards :P

Comment

Originally posted by Damien Warwick View Post
          thats just rude...but seriously fear when do you get off work lol im just playin I dont recall ever seeing you here lol welcome to the boards :P
          yeah i hate it when people are jerks and they try to undermine all your work to get a good scare.

and well at least you didnt try to grab me and you only kept it to a comment ;-) lol jk.... i just joined last week - my first "haunted season" was last season with the Darkness and now im addicted. what can i say.
          sigpic

Comment

I also suffer from the frequent "Whats up honey what time you get off work" or "Ooo look she be cute, hey ma whats up!" -shudder-

Really though you have to wonder whats going through their minds when they see a little half crazed insaniac girl in a straight jacket covered in cuts, scars, blood, brusies, who's drooling everywhere as she crawls all over the Q line...really....thats sexy to you? And they call us the scary ones.

but what really annoys me is the groups of people that come through that think that they're hard and jump at you doing the "You dont scare me, what, what, what are you gonna to do?" ooo that just makes my blood boil, usually i track them down once they enter the haunt though and make them think differently

OdetteDespairr
            Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
            “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Originally posted by OdetteDespairr View Post
              I also suffer from the frequent "Whats up honey what time you get off work" or "Ooo look she be cute, hey ma whats up!" -shudder-

Really though you have to wonder whats going through their minds when they see a little half crazed insaniac girl in a straight jacket covered in cuts, scars, blood, brusies, who's drooling everywhere as she crawls all over the Q line...really....thats sexy to you? And they call us the scary ones.

but what really annoys me is the groups of people that come through that think that they're hard and jump at you doing the "You dont scare me, what, what, what are you gonna to do?" ooo that just makes my blood boil, usually i track them down once they enter the haunt though and make them think differently

OdetteDespairr
              yeah i wonder that too - seriously, what could possibly make me dressed as something resembling the living dead attractive? and some people say we're twisted? i think not compared to those customers. lol
              sigpic

Comment

lol some times they get theirs

Lol i had one group of guys one time who were pulling the "think the dead girl's cute" routine on me so i crawled over to them to see if i could change their minds lol. Luckily one guy in the group had just bought nachos in the snack line and he figured that he would be cute and lean down and see if i wanted one lol....i gobbled it right out of his hand then proceded to hack it up on the sidewalk right in front of them lol......oh the lengths i'll go to be disgusting.

Needless to say i was no longer "cute" to them anymore.

I had kinda the same thing happen another time when Ihad a group of girls who were trying to torment me. I had crawled up behind them on a picnic table and inched up to one of the girls who because our house is a "No Touching" haunt started to taunt me that "Im not touching you hahaha" and started poking me in the head with a coupon for our snack stand. She ended up poking me a little to close to my mouth and i snatched it with my teeth and ate her coupon right in front of her while she shrieked at me.

It's just paper lol...

OdetteDespairr
                “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Oddly, most of my pet peeves are from fellow actors, but patrons bug me also. I hate it when patrons pay money to come in but have no intention of having a good time. They want to fight, swear, call us names, and make fun of the show. The key is to remember that that may be the way they have fun.
                  Once at skull kingdom a group of french 20 something males came through and were rowdy as heck , they started pushing the actors and reading what they wanted, we started pushing back, very physical show especially in the dark parts (bean bag room and mosquito room) and they poured out of the show laughing and high fiveing, then paid to come back in again immediately.
                  It was a blast, often its a matter of the actors perspective of the situation. Anger is a choice, and the most obvious one considering the environments that we work in we have to fight the anger urge and respond in an entertaining way. I find that despite the behavior of the patrons we have the advantage. Odette mentions that she hears the same things 20 times a night. This gives us a chance to form canned comebacks that the patrons (who think they are being clever) will think we made up on the spot with our super quick wits. Odette try the line "Yeah my sifilus can have a steel cage match with your crabs and we will see who wins!" or "thats better than you wasting your obvious talents on roadkill like usual" I used to get the line "your breath stinks" all the time no matter how close I was to them so I came up with the line "when you eat babies you don't always check the diapers"
                  While they may be annoying, proper perspective can keep our attitudes up and our guests entertained. I think that patrons even want us to win the little power struggles they throw our way. they want to be trumped, normally as soon as they are they back off as opposed to escalate conflict.
                  Just my two cents,
                  Allen H
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                    Oddly, most of my pet peeves are from fellow actors, but patrons bug me also. I hate it when patrons pay money to come in but have no intention of having a good time. They want to fight, swear, call us names, and make fun of the show. The key is to remember that that may be the way they have fun.
                    Once at skull kingdom a group of french 20 something males came through and were rowdy as heck , they started pushing the actors and reading what they wanted, we started pushing back, very physical show especially in the dark parts (bean bag room and mosquito room) and they poured out of the show laughing and high fiveing, then paid to come back in again immediately.
                    It was a blast, often its a matter of the actors perspective of the situation. Anger is a choice, and the most obvious one considering the environments that we work in we have to fight the anger urge and respond in an entertaining way. I find that despite the behavior of the patrons we have the advantage. Odette mentions that she hears the same things 20 times a night. This gives us a chance to form canned comebacks that the patrons (who think they are being clever) will think we made up on the spot with our super quick wits. Odette try the line "Yeah my sifilus can have a steel cage match with your crabs and we will see who wins!" or "thats better than you wasting your obvious talents on roadkill like usual" I used to get the line "your breath stinks" all the time no matter how close I was to them so I came up with the line "when you eat babies you don't always check the diapers"
                    While they may be annoying, proper perspective can keep our attitudes up and our guests entertained. I think that patrons even want us to win the little power struggles they throw our way. they want to be trumped, normally as soon as they are they back off as opposed to escalate conflict.
                    Just my two cents,
                    Allen H
                    all very true and good things to keep in mind. even if people dont scare easily, if they are entertained then we still did our job - and i like the "when you eat babies you don't always check the diapers" line - that is awesome.
                    sigpic

Comment

Only problem with that allen is that my character rarely talks lol, i'll speak to maybe four or five people a night lol my character does not do alot of dialogue. I rely alot on body movement and attitude to get my scares. And some of the stuff that i do physically. People seem to be un-easy when i never say anything, i snarl alot and snap at people but thats most of my vocalization.

But that is true its great that customers say a bunch of the same things when i get asked out by guys i usually say "sorry dear you're not my type" and the reaction of their friends is "ohhhhhh u just got turned down by the dead girl!!!"

i get "hey how much do you get paid here" alot and i usually respond with "depends on how many people i kill" or "all the flesh that i can eat"

another one is "ooo -insert name of patrons friend- i think she likes you!" i usually resond with "depends on if she's a screamer or not"

because i wear a straight jacket i get "can i untie you?" i say "that all depends on if you want to live"

OdetteDespairr

Comment

Allen, Skull Kingdom, is that in Florida, that a year round haunt?

OdetteDespairr

Comment

This is a major pet peeve of mine. My thing is a clown character. Literally an insane clown. I take my normally deep voice up on octave and drop it ocassionally and just make myself sound insane. But everyone thinks i sound like the joker. From the new batman, the one with heath ledger. So every other person, i joke not. I mean literally atleast once a group i get. "You sound like the joker!" to which i tend to respond "No girlee, the joker sounds like me!" i say girleee regardless of the gender. Another one i get is "Why so sirius?" To which i respond. "You would be sirius to if you were trying to eat and your lunch keeps asking stupid questions!"
                          It just makes me very frustrated

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
                            "You would be sirius to if you were trying to eat and your lunch keeps asking stupid questions!"
                            It just makes me very frustrates.

Thats awesome! LOL

Comment

Skull kingdom was in FL and it was a year round. It closed a few years back and has been bulldozed sadly. It was a blast and I learned a ton there. I also made a ton Of friends that Im still in contact with. It was a great talent pool and an amazing place to grow up. It never really had good management or dedicated owners so thats what did it in.
                              Allen H
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X