This years building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This years building

What do you guys think of this building? I believe it was built in the early 1900's and was a real TB hospital.

1 thing I'm not lacking is places to put haunted houses.

Plan on using 3.5 floors with a staging/makeup area on the 2nd floor.

John Jordan
    www.TheAsylumwv.com
    www.Trans-AlleghenyLunaticAsylum.com

WOW, nice building....but its gonna take ALLOT of work.... Congrats !!
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

It looks like a great place for a haunt, I just can't believe that you can use it from a safety aspect.

Comment

Impressive location, but I am shocked there there aren't health hazards there. I know an old Cleveland hospital that had been a TB hospital decades ago had to be demolished due to the biohazard risk, along with the asbestos that was used throughout the building.
        Katie Lane
        Partner/VP
        Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
        sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Really cool...what would something like that cost?
          http://www.bigscaryshow.com
          http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Hospitals are germy places but I heard that after the patients leave the germ count goes way, way down. It's those nasty petree-dish humans mucking up the atmosphere moreso than anything contageous left sticking to the laundry chute. (But I would not recomend putting customers down that chute.)
            Asbestoes? Well it was a commonly used and over-used product way back when. I once read that there are two different kinds of asbestos and that the one kind is far less hazardous to human health, how you tell them apart? I don't know.
            If asbestoes was as deadly as it is always made out to be I would not be alive, my Father would have died 60 years ago, before I was born and my aunts and grandparents would have all died a long time ago. (My one aunt died around 90 and my other aunt is still living near 90 now.)
            The reasons for these last statements are because when my Dad and his sisters were kids during the 1930's, my Grandfather would have asbestoes "Partys", dumping bags of the white-death into a tub, mixing it with water to make it paste and the whole family would smear it onto the sides of those old furnaces, using their hands, there were no masks, ventillators or probably ventillation.
            They made enough paste to cover a boiler or furnace with it several inches thick.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Looks like a state psychiatric hospital. Ours was in far better shape than that and they tore it down.

It's definitely got a creepy aura about it.

Maybe if you could turn it into a haunted attraction it might help prevent such a wonderful old building from being torn down.

Good luck!

Comment

Unless Tala is a millionaire, this is a bunch of BS. Just from those few pics I can tell you that this building would take hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring up to code. No city would allow anyone to use this building for a haunt. Between the safety & structual issues, there is no way that that is gonna happen.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
                Deadly Intentions Haunted House
                www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
                1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

lots of issues

Germs, asbestos, code, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

The germs, asbestos and code can be overcome or answered.

However, it is over 100 miles from the nearest big town, south edge of Pittsburgh. The location is in one of our poorest and least populated states.

Do your market area research to find out if it will support your plans.

Good Luck
                  Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                  Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

I didn't see any fire sprinklers in the ceilings. I always thought it was code for any haunt to have those.
                    ~Bill Mlinac
                    The Deadland Haunted House
                    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Sprinklers depend on the state and age of the building (grandfathering, etc).

Our building is NOT sprinkled (we have a metric ass load of fire extingushers).

We have a 5000 sq ft maze and if we were to cover the make like we have in the past (via roof trusses and a gigantic tarp), we would have to sprinkle it because apparently then it becomes "enclosed". *rollseyes*
                      -Brandon Kelm
                      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

As for any health concerns, much of the asbestos was removed for us by vandals who stole the copper pipe before we purchased the campus. We’ve sampled the building at least 3 times for asbestos and what we’ve located has been removed.

As for germs, they exist everywhere. The state continued to use this building to house MR patients for years without contamination problems. It was closed to all people either in the late 70’s or early 80’s. I’m not a doctor by any means but germs are not an issue (contacted the CDC just to be sure, waiting on a response).

As for structural damage, there isn’t any. Any damage is purely cosmetic and, in my opinion, simply adds to the atmosphere. We are currently trying to get this building added to the National Register of Historic Places. The building was built in the early 1900’s predating sprinklers. Trust me I will have enough fire extinguishers to put out the Hindenburg. We have many events on the property and have trained people in the use of fire extinguishers.

Additionally, there are at least 6 small colleges within 50 miles. Morgantown is only 55 miles north and the state capital about 2 hours south, plus we are 3 miles off a major interstate, I-79. Being in the center of WV we are 500 miles from ½ the US population.

Last year’s haunt (our first haunted house) brought close to 10,000 people to our little town.

It isn't that I chose this location to put a haunted house. We purchased these buildings to save them from being torn down. The main building, The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum (a.k.a. The Weston State Hospital) is over 150 years old and contributed to the formation of the state of West Virginia.

Badger -- we paid 1.5 million for the entire campus in 2007. It consisted of 11 buildings and 300 acres of land. Here are a couple pictures that show most of the campus.

Last edited by TALA; 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM.
                        John Jordan
                        www.TheAsylumwv.com

Comment

Again, way cool.

However, if you get it listed on the National Register, doesn't that mean you can NOT make any changes to the building? I book at a local music club and have asked the owner about getting his building on the list. He tells me he wouldn't even be able to rewire the sound system if it was listed due to stipulations about maintaining the historic quality of the structure.
                          http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                          http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Wow, that place is amazing. Too bad it's almost 5 hours away from Richmond!

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                            www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                            Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Changes as in tearing down walls, replacing windows and the like. Major changes like that I wouldn't be making anyway. Putting in some wiring on the other hand wouldn't be a problem. Conduit runs all over the place in there. Something I'll have to check into for sure.

You've seen some of the old pictures, anything I do on the inside is a restoration...lol

So much work to be done yet...
                              John Jordan
                              www.TheAsylumwv.com

Comment

Working...
                              X