No announcement yet.

We have our first $100,000+ vendor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue isn't if Rodney builds great products, because you know his stuff at the show was first class all the way. I was very impressed with everything Rodney did very creative... good job!!!

I'm sure he did well at the show, both shows all shows...that isnt' the issue. No tradeshow organizer should go around and starting promoting their show giving out numbers from their vendors, that is just dead wrong.

What is getting at me sorta, is all the blasting he's made against Hauntcon, and then he goes and does something stupid like this.

Well look I think its great some vendors did good...good for Nightscream, good for NHC, but serioulsy lets cut the nonsense here... one minute its Hauntcon is stealing our vendors, then name dropping vendors names probably without their knowledge, and probably putting them in harms ways, or making them look bad now talking about how much vendors made at your show. This is going to far!

Your relationships between you as a show organizer and your vendors should be PRIVATE be it how good, how bad they sold, or if they slam other shows, or tell you this or that... you will lose all of your trust from those vendors and do more harm than good. Bet on it!

I wish you guys future success but all this slamming, accusations, and now releasing numbers from vendors is really hurting your future efforts.

I'm not trying to hurt you but rather trying to help you.

Larry

PS: I doubt Rodney didn't pay his actors, I've known Rodney for a long time and I doubt he would do that. Rumors get started quick, and most rumors are FALSE, I know there has been more than one rumor started about me that wasn't true. Rumors should stay rumors.
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I honestly thought vendors would have made more. This vendor is one of the largest in the industry, and made 100,00. This is kind of pathetic. The Halloween industry is worth over a billion! and one USA vendor counts as only way way way less than one percent?!? This is a big vendor we are talking about!! This probably doesn't doesn't count as the money collected under the table though . (seems to be a big problem in this industry.) anyways I am now believing haunted houses make the most money in the industry the top 13 grossing way more than a million a piece. But still that doesn't add up to 100 million "all the vendors and haunted house owners combined" . where is all of the other profit going?!?!? Looks like China Owns the Halloween industry with all of the millions of costumes and cheap props people buy... THIS IS KIND OF PATHETIC.

LARRY I have a question for you... What is the difference between the profits of the USA made Products and the China Profits??

I MAY BE MAY BE NUTS AND CHINA MAY NOT OWN AS MUCH OF THE HALLOWEEN INDUSTRY AS I ANTICIPATED.....I hope I am wrong by all of this!! Larry You know more than anyone else in this industry, you are the godfather if anyone believes it or not, you have done more than anyone else has for this industry Please enlighten me on this subject further.

-Frank Balzer
      Frank W. Balzer
      FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
      http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
      --------------------------------------------------
      www.RotHauntedHouse.com
      www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking the same thing it's not really your business or any of ours what Rodney's sales were...Also, those numbers are ok but I would think Scarefactory might do those numbers in a couple hours at Transworld...Anyway good for you Rodney bad idea posting thier business...

Darkangel
        Last edited by Darkangel; 04-20-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

This was my point a couple of months ago when someone was asking how much money people spend at tradeshows and I said it was nobody's business. The data is good but if taken on a personal level and tied to a person this sort of announcement can happen. I am for this data being anonymous but not anounced like this. What a buyer spends and what a vendor makes is no one elses business and if anyone ever publicly anounced what I spent I would be very angry.
          Jared Layman

Comment

Lots of good comments

I agree with Larry as far as products go Rodneys products impressed me A LOT! Again I wish him the best. I just hope I don't see this "I grew to quick to fast" excuse! Rodney a tip from Shane who has been in business for himself for 21 years! Yup started when I was 19! Anyway the tip is keep your numbers to yourself and dont focus on what you make as much as making your customers happy! Shane and its we will watch and see! Shane this time.
            sigpic

Comment

Be cool....

I agree with Larry here spreading this info isn't cool. Rodney brought some great products to the show, and his reputation for quality is very soild, just listen to the folks he has built items for. You cannot even be hating on him for bragging... He told some info to a person who THEN posted it here.

As far as the SHOW bringing him the sales, lets take a closer look. Who bought these items? Most of them probably came from folks he already knew! Personally I know 2 of the guys and now Tim makes 3 all saw his stuff at Transworld and knew Rodney already and just happened to write the orders there. Most of the folks who write big orders USUALLY already have some sort of connection to the vendor - trust makes the sale, not just the location.

Lets discuss Scarefactory for a moment here. With all of the complaints you hear why do people still buy from them? Because the inovation and the fact that they ultimately try to make things right seems to work as a business. We have bought from them consistantly for 12 years and although we have had ups and downs ultimately we will continue to purchase major effects from them because we are happy with the total package. Thats our take I am sure others have opinions.

As far as the Convention guys I think they are great guys, but a little new and a little eager. Needless to say we all continuously learn on this forum and in this business that being "cool" is better that bragging. If you say you are the best around here, someone will be here to push you down while the others chuckle.

So good luck National Haunters Convention, and good luck Rodney and good luck Scarefactory! Thank you all for making cool stuff and cool events to help us all improve our haunts.

Just be cool...

Thanks!
              Ben Armstrong
              NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
              www.Fearworld.com
              www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I agree Ben, our industry needs mega vendors such as Scarefactory as much as little guys with fantastic concepts. ( I would vote for Pale Night in this catagory, great people, good stuff, down home atmosphere.) I too think Rodney's stuff was spectacular, and deserves kudos, it keeps the Industry on it's toes seeing new guys. I too to catch myself bitching about Scarefactory now and then, but I would still but from them because of their look and shock factor.

If anyone wants to compare apples to oranges in quality, here's a few things to look for, pro's and con's:

Gauge of steel, look for vendors that use the thicker gauge through and through, you will pay more for shipping weight though.

Look for bearings or at least bushings, this definately cuts down on wear and tear.

Grade 8 hardware or hardened shaft bolts for axles. I've seen far to many Home Depot China bolts wear through completely due to friction.

Check the wiring on the controllers, look for nicely run wiring, labeled if possible, check for diodes on all 12v and 24 volt applications, this prevents programming errors.

Is the wiring/controller accessable? Do you enjoy fixing a prop on your busiest night with a flashlight in your mouth? Can the controller be easily removed and re-wired for replacement?

How is the latex critter attached? Does he look to spring out on his own and really launch an attack?

Can you the customer re-program easily?

Anyhow, off the soapbox for now. I need to get an order out today..., Happy Haunting

Matt
                Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Yes, Matt!

"Thick steel", I weld and bolt my displays together using those good bolts when needed. My stuff won't be getting punched or kicked and screwed up and no hernias for the UPS or Fed-Ex person because nothing here will be sold or traveling (Nice advantage)
                  "Thick steel" helped save me when the sausage semi went through the trunk and backseat 80MPH to say "Hi!"
                  The tail spoiler I built was almost solid steel, I used to carry alot of lumber across the spoiler so it had to be that way.
                  Sometimes it's just those very simple things like the guage of metal used that make the difference.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

My biggest concern and issue is Nightscream is carrying Keith Korner's Walls. Yes Scare Parts - So I avoided his stuff like the plaque...

I was told several stories on how/why he has them but considering Keith's products or name was associated with it - made me look elsewhere.

I will wait and see how things turn out. But I wish them all the luck as their stuff was amazing -

I think NHC is just wanting to express the value add, but as you have all mentioned - maybe not the right place or time. Possibly a better statement would be Vendors see $200,000 in sales while attending NHC... or Vendors even did well.
                    As the newest convention on the block - they are trying to tout how great the show did and was for all. (Well at least that's what I read from it!)

I hope all the shows continue to strive and become more and more successful and I hope I can truly afford to do 2 or more shows again next year....

**Back to Lurk Mode**

Comment

Night Scream Productions is a stand up vendor.

We bought all of our first animations from him 5 years ago. He went above and beyond what ANY vendor has ever done for us to this day, delivered ontime, and threw in a ton of extras.

Furthermore every one of the 20+ animations we got from NightScream are still working at our show year after year with zero breakdowns.

Keep up the great work Rodney and glad you had a good show at NHC!

Angela Dunne
                      Fright Kingdom

Comment

Rodney it sounds like youv'e got a lot of sales,congrads!

From my point of veiw now your up to your ears in bussiness"Are you looking for another prop builder?"

Where you located man?

::Waves hand::

Comment

Rodney has been great to deal with over the years. I was one of those buyers that purchased a bunch of stuff right at the end of the show. One of my main reasons for attending NHC was to see his booth because I never got a chance to place an order with him in St Louis.

We all had a good time at NHC!!!!!

Wayne
                          www.trailofterror.com

Comment

If this thread is soooo bad, WHY didn't Larry just delete this thread so no one saw it? Why leave it up if this is wrong?

Comment

I'm ripped on for everything I do delete or don't delete and I'm accused of deleting stuff I never deleted... look harder is what I tell some people who email me. Either way I agree its wrong, however this post is on topic of haunts, its a haunt tradeshow. I don't think anyone is being rude or slanderous towards Rob or starting or dragging out some dramafest which is un-needed. He posted it I think it was wrong, he could put this same thing up on tons of boards so its not like its going away.

This needed to be addressed. I'm letting him know flat out I think many vendors will second guess EVER going to his show in the future or telling him anything if he's going to spread around everything he's told like what Pickel said or didn't say, or how much a vendor did or didn't make.

He claims he wants no drama but he seems to stir up a lot of it... right now I'm just confused as to what he really wants! LOL

Honestly I have nothing against Rob or this show but Rob needs to address some issues here if he's truly going to move forward. I hope they do well but geeezzzz does he need to reel in the drama, and bad decisions before this boat sinks. Lastly, to me this seems like a CHEAP attempt to lure in other vendors and you just don't do it this way. First off I don't believe it for a second... second and I'm simply being honest I heard from most vendors they didn't do well. I heard there wasn't hardly anyone at this event, so for someone to turn around and start bragging about a vendor doing a 100k, opens the door for the vendors who didn't make 100 dollars to start moaning, or posting their complaints. Lets face reality here for a second... these kinds of shows especially NHC are great get togethers, places to have some fun, see some haunts, but a primary place for vendors to make a living NO WAY! So why all the drama about Hauntcon stealing your vendors, and now your vendors are making 100k? Lets cut the drama and get these shows back to the main purpose they serve and keep the fun, friendship, and focus on the haunts and haunted events primary. I think all this drama has soaked every inch of fun right out of the NHC.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President
                              www.HalloweenProductions.com
                              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

The moment I saw this thread, I started to hold my breath. I knew it was a dangerous thing to talk about.

Here is an important point. Did the organizers of NHC ask for the vendor's permission to post these #s?
                                That is really the big deal. As long as they got permission then they didn't violate any trust between themselves and Rodney or other vendors. But they need permission to take this information to a public arena.

I think Michael and Rob are great guys who love this industry, and they just want to run a great convention. How they do it is a learning process, and shall I just say they may have learned a major lesson. So, give them a break and lets move on to more positive things.

I see this event getting bigger and bigger if good decisions are made that buyers want and need in a convention. The seminars speaker lineup was amazing again this year, just like last year. And these guys listen so that will help them continue to grow.

And by the way Rodney. I think your work is very creative and I wish you luck. Not that you need it. You have been in this business for many years.
                                Last edited by Gore Galore; 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM.
                                Kevin R. Alvey
                                info at gore-galore.com
                                www.gore-galore.com
                                www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                                www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                                www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X