Radio DJ as actor in your haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio DJ as actor in your haunt?

I'm working with the Radio group on an advertising deal, and they came up with a prety good idea.

The radio group offers a VIP points program for their listeners, to keep them tuned in more often. They earn points towards free appearal, concert tickets, etc.

They came up with the idea to take a radio dj, and put them in costume, and advertise that if you walk through the haunt and find the dj, he/she will give you XXX-amount of bonus VIP points.

This sounds like a pretty cool idea to drive sales, but there are some ups and downs here.

I think that our customers may end up pesterring each and every actor until they find the dj. And poosibly slow down traffic, etc., etc.

Has anyone ever heard of this idea, or had this implemented in their haunt?

I just want to get some feedback from people that have heard of this, or experienced it.

It sounds like a good idea to me, but I want to make sure this is a smart thing to do.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

I'd recommend having them as queue entertainment and not in the haunt. I think this could detract from your haunt quite a bit.
    sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Better yet, advertise "The best costume" and have the DJ judge. Who ever wins gets the points, rewards etc... That would be a bonus they would get coming to your haunt. Set a time and have the event in the exit area of your haunt. People have to go through your haunt to be considered "entered". Just an idea.
      http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

It's a clever idea... and I've heard of other media (reporters) being given a role in a haunt as a publicity stunt, but I'm pretty skeptical of giving them that responsibility inside... especially if customers *know* about it before hand. It's a definite distraction and liability. If I'm spending hours training and recruiting strong and able actors, I might be sending the wrong message to my customers... and even the other actors.

Like the person mentioned above me, creating something separate for the talent (que entertainment, merch tent, etc. etc) would be much better.

How about if a monster (the DJ dressed up) comes up to a customer in the queue and the customer has to tell that monster, "I listen to _______ !!!" to win the prize pack. It even helps promote the station better (other customers hear the dial number or call letters screamed out).

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
        www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
        Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Just Run Him through

Scare him real well then let them talk about it the next day. Of course it might help if the DJ is a nervous, high-strung person, all the more fun!
          Some very popular radio DJs would bring 2 busses here on a Monday night.
          After the first year when the word got out that you couldn't come along if you were totally wasted it all got alot better.
          That first year one of their drunks bit a rope- chase light in half, while it was electrified!
          That was also the year my Grandmother was here opening a door , looking into the room where they were all sitting, this really weirded them out, they were remarking how strange that was the next day on their show.
          Thanks Grandma!!!
          (She loved Halloween!)
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We have had one of our local morning show dj's as ticket taker for a few years now to varying degrees of success. It seemed this year the dj decided he could show up whichever nights he wanted and not the others and had a "better then you" attitude that didn't go over well with the rest of the cast, we were also disappointed with the amount of coverage we got on the morning show. We did have the rest of the morning show come through one night and scared there whole cast through the haunt in near record time :-) Im sure we gained a few customers by having him there and with some tweaking im sure we can make it better this year.

Nick
            Holy crap scaring people is fun!!!

Comment

at a jaycees haunt i worked at we had a local radio station go through it live. he was on his cell phone while he was through and the station broadcast him freaking out. it was awesome

Comment

Working...
              X