www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Wow. That is a big read.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
    http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
    "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
    http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

wow hope that man has good lawyers and lots of money!
      Sean De Wane
      ----------------------------------------------
      The De Wane Asylum
      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Those guys were at IAAPA, see other post

Those guys were at IAAPA one year I believe, there's another thread I posted this morning here:

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted%5F...ead.php?t=8390

Chris
        Chris Stafford
        1331 Entertainment Group
        Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
        13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
        13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Chris,

Sorry I didn't see your post. I got an email about this and just posted it up here... I think those guys are the Rays, but I'm not sure. A few years ago they licensed those icons from New Line, took a booth from IAAPA and tried to sell them off as haunted houses. I don't think they sold any because in my opinion they were asking way too much money.

I am guessing here but I think they lost their licenese and Universal did a haunt like they always do in Orlando with icon movie monsters and now these guys are trying to sue.

This will be a very expensive lawsuits because Universal has their own inhouse lawfirms, so they can just fight it for 10 years if they want to.

So we'll see what happens!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Uh oh! They better be prepared. Universal is going to have some big lawyers on their side.

Comment

serves them right !!!!!!

why not come up with their own original ideas like Netherworld does every year. new characters, new icons, monsters you'll want to forget because of the nightmares. no original ideas anymore. no imagination, that's what's wrong with alot of these places..... introduce your patrons to new creepier scary creatures they won't soon forget.... If it's good, people will never forget it. (like the urban legend haunted house that never exsisted years ago)- 13th floor or something- so scary- if you make it to the 13th floor you get your money back- people are still looking for it and talking about it ! it's a legend !!!! I heard about this place 15 years ago, and couldn't find it... and still can't..... It was an original idea.... talked about nationwide !!!! now, put on your thinking caps and come up with something new and original and kick ass over the top scary.... you dont need the stuff your being sued over. put your money towards hiring talented haunt people to come up with new ideas instead of paying lawyers.

Comment

Am I reading this right? They came up with the idea of using three characters, who are well known and not their own, and think they have a case? I am assuming Universal owns the characters or has rights to them, and this other company doesn't. The characters have been around for 25 years. This will get thrown out of court before it goes very far.

Comment

This seems to be a big case at first--since it involves Universal--but I doubt the smaller company will win, let alone get anything out of this. It's America, the entire place is ran using playground politics. The large company almost always wins.
                  ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                  Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Interesting read, I'm eager to find out how its going to turn out
                    I bought all of the props for my Haunted Graveyard this year with the $600 in FREE AMAZON GIFTCARDS I got for searching Google with this site!
                    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PrettyGood

Comment

Hmmm

I don't know about the rest of you.........BUT

I would think that they had signed contracts to use the Jason, Freddy, Leatherface characters when they tried to sell the haunted houses a few years ago.
                      If they did, the rights would surely be violated....right?
                      UNLESS they didn't have the rights and Universal got them first.

But now here is where none of us should be lawyers...if someone is, please correct my view if I am wrong.

IF someone sat down with executives at Universal and pitched the idea
                      THEN
                      Universal goes and does it themselves..........YOU COULD SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM
                      All they need is documented proof of the meetings and the discussions.
                      Right?
                      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

It seems that way to me too, Ken. But, I'm not a lawyer.
                        Kip Polley
                        www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                        We Engineer Fear

Comment

If that's the case then Cedar Point can sue Six Flags for building Kinga Ka (same ride as Top Thrill Dragster, but built later)... the idea/design of the ride was meant for Cedar Point.

I don't think it's illegal to steal an idea if it's not been copyrighted or anything of the sorts. Also, unless ICC had EXCLUSIVE rights to the character (which I'm sure they didn't) then Newline Cinema can sell out as many licenses as they see fit!

Now, if the idea of using movie characters is copyrighted (doubt it) by ICC... then they could, realisticly, go after SEVERAL haunts... not just Universal! -Tyler
                          Chris Riehl
                          Sales@spookyfinder.com
                          (586)209-6935
                          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Who were the guys offering this same package at the Chicago TW a few years ago?

Comment

Hmm

Tyler I kind of jumbled what I was saying

You are right somewhat

IF a said person owns a property.....and another uses it to make money.......lawsuit
                              IF a said person brings a concept to the table.....and the idea is stolen and used.....lawsuit
                              IF a said person just has an idea....and someone beats you to it.....TOO BAD

I wish I knew more of the story....or at least what Icwhatever really owned or didn't own

See I have had enough dealings with lawyers over the past few months to make anyone sick.
                              I have learned A TON of stuff between the FBI and the Prosecuters and the DA...oh my can they make your head spin.

The main thing?......its all how you say something.....that matters!!!!!
                              I don't recall works for me really well!!!!!
                              Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Working...
                              X