What Makes a Good Zombie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes a Good Zombie??

What is a Good Zombie? What Makes a Zombie look like a zombie? How do you potray the image as an actor or Actress?

These are a few of the questions I would like answers too.
    I'm putting this up because I think zombies are just made to look cool on t-shirts and in movies nowa days. I think there whole ripping guts out and devoring the guts has been lost. What does Every else think? Please put your views on this too thanks.
    Acting Experiences? (Acting)
    25.00%
    Room Managing Stage Managing?
    25.00%
    Fx Makeup Homemade Recipes(blood,puke)?
    0.00%
    Getting yourself In Shape for the season?
    50.00%
    Outdoor Home Yard Haunting?
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

I think a good zombie starts with a good costume: something tattered and aged, that simply looks nasty. I really don't like when people do zombies and their attire looks clean.

Makeup: Depending on the "age" of the zombie (freshly turned, decaying, etc) the level of rot and decay in the makeup varies. The makeup needs to cover all skin that is exposed (neck, shoulders, arms, legs, etc) for a consistant look.

Acting: I'm a fan of the slower, classic "Night of the Living Dead" zombie, where they lurch and their limbs don't seem to work well together. I like to get intestines from the grocery store and use those as props for the zombies to fight over and "eat."
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
    sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

I like zombies but they really arent scary. They need to run and attack fast in a haunted house. The only way your gonna scare anyone other than that as a zombie is a quick startle scare or sometype of distraction scare. But Im a fan of the slower moving zombies in movies.
      Damon
      Damon Carson

Comment

I agree that the slower zombies aren't that scary, but they are a great distraction. Having packs ofthem wander around outside a haunt and in the que line really helps set the mood too, since they are a bit creepy.
        Katie Lane
        Partner/VP
        Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
        sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

zombies

I think all of your answers To The questions are good. Please Keep more answers Comming in for this Post and Please Please Vote On The Poll Above The Page So I can make more Posts up Thanks Everyone Happy HAunting
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

"What Makes A Good Zombie?"

Your parents ignoring you and your brother as you both sit in a puddle in the barnyard playing with a hammer, taking turns hitting each other on the head with it. My best friend and neighbor Mike worked for this farmer when he was a kid and that is what he saw happening there.
            Well I guess when you have 11 kids you can't watch them all ,all the time?
            As far as the speed of a scare, I think some scares are too quick to actually be milked for their full potential. "Anti-ci-pa-tion" Remember that? A very good piece or part of a memorable scare.
            I found out one of my best scares was happening too quickly, it was over with and the customer's mind identified it and classified it , regulating it into the memory dump bin before it was a second old.
            I think the customer's mind often needs the 2 seconds to wonder, "What the Hell Is THAT?" and time to realse THEY DON"T KNOW!!! Confusion and ignorance lead to fear, now don't they?
            "What was that I just saw? Was that a real person or a display dummy? Was that spider real? Did it move or not?" See what I mean?
            Of course pnuematics are often very guilty of being too fast for maximum effect, the scare is over before it makes confusion or can begin the process of identifying it so the brain just passes by it.
            The whole "Too Quick" thing is like someone standing around a corner and swinging a baseball bat smacking you on the head, you didn't see it coming, versus the person stepping around the corner, you see them, you see the bat in their hand, they call you a nasty name like "Jim", THEN they swing it!
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Another thing that would make a good zombie is not living on the brains or flesh of the living. Maybe a vegetarian zombie. Or maybe one that would maybe clean up himself and maybe get a fresh change of clothes. Or maybe try to walk or situp straight. Pull your chair up to the table and wipe your chin off while your eating zombie! For Gods Sake!
              Damon
              Damon Carson

Comment

In one word... What makes a good zombie?

Irony.

You're welcome.
                To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

Large numbers...
                  http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                  http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

what makes a good zombie? the understanding of the human anatomy , body language, and most of all? BRAIIINS

Comment

Makeup wise a good zombie needs to look organic
                      It shouldn't look "made up"
                      It skin should be leathery and dirty, like it just climbed out of a grave or something. Real dirt and moss grass cobwebs should be employed as much as possible

wounds can look fresh for effect but remember that zombies are the reanimated dead so an even more effective look is body cavity exposure. Any way to show depth will help

teeth need to be distressed as well as hair matted and mudded. Hair gel can be employed with "zombie dust" mixed in
                      Contacts are expensive but are effective (and dangerous)

Comment

A good actor makes a good zombie, I have seen plenty of bad actors in great make-ups and it is not worth the effort.
                        Im not sure as to the purpose of this poll but a few of your answers do not make any sense.
                        "what makes a good zombie?"
                        "outdoor home yard haunting" as an answer??????
                        Also If someone is not in shape then I would reccommend a zombie as the movement is not as taxing as a faster more animated creature.
                        Slow moving zombies can be scary as long as they have good timing, Playing a zombie is all about training the audience to think you move at a certain speed and they moving a bit faster right when they think they can get away.
                        Zombies are great for atmosphere, they have great potential to look awesome and be great comic relief. On the flip side of that they can be truly frightening, The guests are in a room headed twords the exit then zombies appear and start shuffling towards them from the sides, then the lights go out the only light is coming from the exit door. By changing the lighting you have allowed the zombies to change their timing.
                        Allen H
                        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Since we sell a lot of zombie costumes, I would have to put that near the top ;-)

Movement is just as important, though, and in the "what not to do" category: Actors should remember that zombies don't have to make noise! If an actor can't get a good zombie sound down, then it's much better to keep silent and rely on good movement. Like my mom always said - "if you can't say something scary, don't say anything at all" - which actually goes for ANY character. Nothing ruins a perfect costume and makeup job like a lame monster voice.

Phantom Foundry Productions
                          val@phantomfoundry.com

http://www.phantomfoundry.com

Facebook:
                          http://tiny.cc/Facebook514

Comment

What Makes A Good ZOmbie?

I Agree understaning human anatomy is important to making a good zombe especially when It comes down to the makeup, It's Important to know What is beneath the surface so you can make that appear on the front and make the muscles or wounds look good. Having Your Brains available though is the most important to be a good zombie. HAhA
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

What makes a good zombie depends on where the zombie is as far as makeup goes. If the zombie is in good lighting then the makeup job needs to look good. If the zombie is in really low lighting then the makeup does not have the be the best. No since on doing the best most realistice makeup job if it can not be seen. As fast moving zombies have there time and place so do slow moving zombie. They can be play to there full effect in the right spots.
                              And the most important thing to making a good zombie is the actor. If the actor can not make it believable then you may be wasting time on any makeup job you do. And that is true for any charactor.
                              sigpic
                              a.k.a. The Butcher
                              a.k.a. Hauntlord

Comment

Working...
                              X