Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which controller?

Hi all,

We're going to be creating out first animation this year. Which controllers do you recommend?
    Slash
    "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Well, we've followed up our FireFly lightning simulator this year with the Mantis family of controllers. microMANTIS and miniMANTIS were first shown at Transworld. The micro is a digital event controller with rotary controls, and the mini is programmable (via "keybanger" method) to record and play back your desired actions.

Our controllers offer some advantages over other products, such as our LADC connector, where no electronic knowledge is needed to use our controllers and connectors. Just click, click, done. Of course you're not limited to our sensors... screw terminals are also available to connect other triggers and sensors. We offer dual relay contacts, so you can simultaneously control high and low voltage, or combine them to control up to 16 amps of current.

The MANTIS2 is being assembled now, and will be shipping soon. It's a 2-channel programmable controller with audio.

There's also our infrared beam-interrupt sensor, MANTIS relay and remote trigger.

Have a look at http://www.lights-alive.com/ctrl_mantis.html

Steve
    Lights Alive
    www.lights-alive.com
    www.myspace.com/lights_alive
    www.twitter.com/LightsAlive
    http://bit.ly/LightsAlive (FaceBook)

See us at Midwest Haunters Convention, Booth 505/604
    Last edited by LightsAlive; 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM.
    Steve Peterka
    Lights Alive
    www.lights-alive.com

Comment

What type of devices ( lights, solenoids, sound) do you want to control? Do you want everything to come on at once? These are two of many questions that will help you answer your stated question. There are quite a few controllers to choose from on the market, determining what you need will help you narrow it down.

Comment

Every controller and controller accessory I use is made by EFX-Tek. www.efx-tek.com

Awesome customer support and amazing products.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

I was looking to start this thread and here it is... How many of you guys are using a single controller to do an entire room, or series of rooms? Or do you use the more basic controllers and then buy the bigger props? I am trying to figure out if I would ever use the more expensive controllers or if by the time I get to wanting ambient sound, prop sound, motion, lights, I will be beyond a a couple of hundred dollar controller anyway.

Thanks for the advice....
          http://www.innerfears.com/
          http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Which controller to use

I have used Animation Maestros I & II every year for the last 4 years. They work very well for what I need them to do. They can control lighting or pnuematics. Ive used them for both. I did use an audio repeater in conjunction with them but I had to use a relay to activate them both at the same time. I'll surely use them again this year.

Kelly Anderson
            HauntYourHouse.net
            Kelly Anderson
            Owner- Halloween Undercroft
            http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
            Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Another Question about controllers?

I started another thread with this Questions..

I am good at building things and have some tech background, but what would you suggest I get in order to put on each of my rooms in my haunt?

Examples..

Is there something that will play my pre recorded audio, have props and lights go off/on at the times I need them to? I do not want to have a bunch of different switches for a worker to have to press. Just one button to have the room/show begin. If there is something like this, which Im 100% sure there is, where would I find this controller and how do they work?

I have been looking and reading on controllers but confused on which one I would need. Do I need a computer to run them? Just a switch?

I am a newer haunter so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Links will help as well.

Thank you!

Peter Tomeczko
              Fables Studios
              Fables Studios
              Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
              https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Originally posted by FablesStudios View Post
                I started another thread with this Questions..

I am good at building things and have some tech background, but what would you suggest I get in order to put on each of my rooms in my haunt?

Examples..

Is there something that will play my pre recorded audio, have props and lights go off/on at the times I need them to? I do not want to have a bunch of different switches for a worker to have to press. Just one button to have the room/show begin. If there is something like this, which Im 100% sure there is, where would I find this controller and how do they work?

I have been looking and reading on controllers but confused on which one I would need. Do I need a computer to run them? Just a switch?

I am a newer haunter so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Links will help as well.

Thank you!

Peter Tomeczko
                Fables Studios
                I would suggest either Hauntbots, www.hauntbots.com , or EFX-Tek, www.efx-tek.com . Both companies have controller boards, sound boards that are controlled by the controller boards, and varied add on boards. Both companies use a computer to program your sequence, and then run on their own without the computer with just a switch or sensor to start the programmed sequence.
                Brian Warner
                Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

some controller ideas

http://www.frightideas.com has some cheap and simple controllers, the also have some higher end and more costly ones too

http://www.trossenrobotics.com has a varity of robotic controllers and relays.

Hope this helps. I tried to post this last night but i guess i didn't post it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Anderson View Post
                    I have used Animation Maestros I & II every year for the last 4 years. They work very well for what I need them to do. They can control lighting or pnuematics. Ive used them for both. I did use an audio repeater in conjunction with them but I had to use a relay to activate them both at the same time. I'll surely use them again this year.

Kelly Anderson
                    HauntYourHouse.net
                    I have also used these for years, and now they have there MP3 player attachment so you can easly trigger audio.
                    Dan Slatkin
                    SlightlySick Illusions
                    Our YouTube page
                    SBE Sites the home of the $2 web site
                    Our Sponsor

Comment

Another vote for Pete's HauntBot's controllers. He just released a new 24 channel model (APC24+) this year at Transworld.

It really depends on what you're looking for though. For a basic prop, the Maestro's are ok, though I prefer Pete's "4 Play" (4 outputs vs 1 or 2). For more advanced props or full scene control, I've been using nothing but the APC16+'s.

IMO, I would rather stock 2 different controllers in my inventory. Basic props that aren't in the same scene with other props get a 4 Play. If it's an entire scene, IE 2 or 3+ props in the same room, even if they're basic, I'll put an APC16+ to control the entire room. Doing this, I can cut back on hardware and I can use a single trigger (I *highly* recommend contacting Brian aka Gadget @ Evilusions for IR beam triggers, *VERY* high quality industrial stuff). I can also control lighting for the scene with LED's (the APCxx series can drive these directly), I can use SSR's or I can use the DMX Daemon if I need something really special.

HTH
                      -Brandon Kelm
                      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Definitely a company worth looking into is Gilderfluke. They're widely used products and have a variety of offerings designed for basic animations, sounds, and full show controllers.

Comment

I still like the Boobox 4 or the pico boo's the best from Fright ideas. Easy to program and decently priced.
                          Virginia's premier outdoor haunted attraction-
                          www.wicked-woods.com

Comment

Controller of choice

All of our custom props and even some of our lighting equipment has EFX-TEK inside! I recommend getting a prop 1 starter kit and experimenting!

Comment

Boobox

I would recommend the picoboos for ease of use, they have 2outputs one trigger.
                              They have 2 minutes of sound that includes ambient and scare sound. With a built in 30 watt amp. I would use the Flex for more complex props they flex can have up to 8 outputs with mp3 sound, I have used almost every controller on the market. and I find the boobox the easiest and most versatile controllers on the market, especially when using the Scaremaster for programming.

Comment

Working...
                              X