No announcement yet.

Digital Sound For Props under $25.00???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Sound For Props under $25.00???

Hey guys,

I've seen all these neat sound devices for props/scenes. But they all have these bells and whistles that I have to pay a higher price for but don't need.
    Is there any product out there that has the capability to do the basic, "record, erase or play" and activate with a simple trigger device to play it? Is there any like this under let's say $25.00? I'm talking plug-n-play. Not a big modification to some store product.

Is there anyone else out there that is looking for "simple" sound for their props but with the same sample rate (quality) and at a lower price? Just curious if I'm alone here.

I have lot's of controllers for the props and I'm looking to add sound to them.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

I use to try and figure out a way to build cheap sound repeaters but found myself always fixing them. I have looked at so many options but finally had to use the REAL and it makes life so much easier.
    Like.....
    MEASTRO plug in MP3 PLAYER $100
    FRIGHTPROPS has PICO-A-BOO FI-103 2 channels output controller with a 8 bit sound card. $69.99
    My new favorite is the BOO BOX FLEX you can pick how many outputs you need from 2 , 4 and 8. And it comes with a built in MP3. THIS BOX ROCKS!!!!
    sigpic
    PEACE, ADAM
    www.poisonprops.com

Comment

u are not alone

Comment

Believe me, you are not alone. With as tight a budget as I'm currently on and still trying to round up just the basics to even put together my own home haunt, it's next to impossible to find a sound system that does only what I need it to do that won't scare me away with all of the zeros on the price tag. If anyone could come up with a good sound system for under $25, you would be a freakin' hero to me.
        ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
        Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Well Then...

Thanks guys,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a budget around here.

Here's the deal. I have a friend that has huge electronics backbround that is putting together a sound board to the specs I mentioned in the original post. It will cost under $25.00 and that includes a weather proof box for it all to go in.
          It will also include up to 40 seconds of recordable time and be at a good quality sample/play-back rate.
          "IF" it passes the initial testing phase, I'll build about 20 more of them and test them at my haunt, the Dungeon Haunted ride in 3D (which is open now and all summer long).
          All this should happen with-in the next month.
          Yep, I need about 20 of these things which is why I don't want to spend $50.00 or more for each unit as it would add up quickly. If I can buy or build 4 of them for around $100 (and they work), I'll be a real happy camper .

I'll keep you guys posted on the results here on H.W.
          Thanks again,
          Tom
          Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

For the most cost efficent vs. quality sound, I usually use ISD player boards from Cowlacious. http://www.cowlacious.com/AudioProd.htm You only have to buy one recorder board for $34, and then you can use all player boards for $27 each.
            Brian Warner
            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Thanks

I've purchased from them last year. 4 boards and they all failed. He replaced them, 2 more failed after that. I'm done with them. And I don't remember paying less than $34.00 each for them. Not to mention trying to get them replaced. It's a hurry and wait deal...
              The boards I'm having built will have an ISD board as well but the other components will be different. Components that failed in the past will be a thing of the past if all goes right.
              Thanks anyway,
              Tom

Originally posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
              For the most cost efficent vs. quality sound, I usually use ISD player boards from Cowlacious. http://www.cowlacious.com/AudioProd.htm You only have to buy one recorder board for $34, and then you can use all player boards for $27 each.
              Tom
              Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

There are surely some out there that only cost $25. But then the makers have to add advertising, overhead and profit onto it and they get expensive real quick.

I guess that's why so many home and low budget haunters have to build their own stuff. Just be careful that you don't nickel and dime a project and end up paying more for an inferior product than you would have paid for a good one to start with.

Comment

Yes Shawn,

Advertisement can kick the overhead up there. I'm actually not going cheap on the parts. They're coming from reputable sources. And running the test with these can't be any worse than paying a lot more for something that fails, like I've ran in to in the past.
                  It's worth a try.
                  We will see in the next month or two...

And, I'm not a home haunt, but that's where I started from. And I'm not a low budget haunt. I'm a limited budget haunt that wants to spend the budget on the "fright" stuff, not the over priced stuff.

Tom

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
                  There are surely some out there that only cost $25. But then the makers have to add advertising, overhead and profit onto it and they get expensive real quick.

I guess that's why so many home and low budget haunters have to build their own stuff. Just be careful that you don't nickel and dime a project and end up paying more for an inferior product than you would have paid for a good one to start with.
                  Tom
                  Creator of the Dungeon

Comment

Working...
                  X