how to make a graveyard scary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make a graveyard scary

I want to have a graveyard as part of my haunt because it is such an easy "room" to build. But just a graveyard is not very scary. I first thought of having an actor jump from behind a grave but this is very cliche, I need NEW, fresh ideas. How can I use actors and such to make a graveyard scary in a NEW way? Any ideas would be great.
    Mr. Horror
    The Eighth Floor of Hell

build a crypt in the graveyard the people have to walk through. You can have people hiding in tombs and what not..
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Add a snow machine! Nothing creepier, or more gothic, than walking through a graveyard... dark... and snowing! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Ravens Grin Tomb:

I paid $65 for a home-made, 1963 4-horse, horse trailer delivered to my backyard. I wheeled it around to about where I wanted it, jacked it up, cut off the axles, cut out the front end of the trailer. I mortared some 150 year old old, soft Mount Carroll bricks along the front(just like the old soft bricks the New Orleans tombs have)
        I welded up a heavy frame, made a very solid steel door from a huge disguarded electrical panel my neighbor the electrician threw away.(The finished item doesnot give away it's electric panel heritage)
        The bricks are laid up in an arch over the door and then massive wild growing vines cover half of it.
        It is seen from just the front, looks kind of small, then they get a surprise when they swing open the door and it is straight and long hallway with a metal arched ceiling(horse trailer remember)
        The long-armed hinge I made for the door allows a person hiding behind the door to reach out from the area between the door jamb and the door as the long, dark hallway distracts their gaze.
        One sunny Sunday afternoon I ellicted screams and jerky behavior from nearly all 17 adult bikers as they stepped up one at a time and stepped into the doorway and my hairy claw-hand meanaced them.
        Talk about "FUN!"!!!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We used a crypt last year and it was very successful. We had two pine box coffins in the crypt with mummified skeletons. The actor was under the shelf with to coffin and would roll out from underneth as they were gazing at the skeleton.

We kept the ceiling very low on the crypt, so people were hunched over face to face with the coffins. Just beyond the coffins they could see black drapery. As they cleared the low ceiling and stood up they were face to face with a grimm reaper dude that had a robe that matched the drapery so he blended in until they could stand up and look up at his face.

On our wish list that we didn't get done was to have an empty coffin next to the grimm reaper and make people get in the coffin that would then drop them out the bottom into the next room.

Comment

Put a hearse in your graveyard. If your building is big enough. When they come around a dark corner and see that sucker they will stop dead in there tracks. We put one in our haunted house cemetary one year. And blew the horn and turned on the headlights. And it freaked them out! No hearse just do the old car front end gag. Find an old cadillac front end and paint it black and put a long top on it. Like plywood and paint the edges crome or metal color so it shows up. And trust me it rolling out from a wall of fog will get them every time!
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

Sorry so late responding to this, my personal life is crazy right now.
              Im going to add a few living statues to my grave yard this year, they will be stone painted reaper robes that are stiffened fabric, the actors can slip in and then their head fill the hood and makes the hands, but they can slip out of the back and then enter another one. I want to have about 10 in my graveyard. they are basically living statue gags, with actors in stony skeleton suits.
              Good luck and let us know what you try.
              Allen H
              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Jim I told you if you didnt stop doing that in the dark. You would either go blind or your palms would get harry! I guess some have to learn the hard way! No pun intended.
                Damon
                Damon Carson

Comment

Neat Allen!

The stoney cloaks.
                  My problem in doing it here is that my tomb is outside so an actor would have to be checking for "squatters" inside the statuary before they pressed themselves inside.
                  Squatters like spiders, bees, bats, birds. Some people freak when a mere empty spider web drags across their face, I've been in way too many basements (working) in my life to be so bothered .
                  Some people might be too antsie to stand that still inside of the device,though maybe hire someone whose real job is standing along the highway holding a Stop sign. they would have the needed practise!
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Really good actors/actresses?
                    Sorry not very helpful i know. But in my opinion a great actor can make the scene scary.

Comment

I always see (in haunts) things popping out of the ground in grave yards. I never see things being pulled under (the ground). Perhaps you can set up some kind of rig that pulls tombstones down into the ground? Perhaps an actor dressed like a zombie can pull another actor (dressed "normally") into the ground?

Comment

You say an easy room to build? Not if you want it effective. Set the scene with fog and moss hanging from the ceiling. Of course the tomb stones, lighting and music. But then have a platform attached to the ceiling for an actor to lower and grab at the patrons. Just bending down at them and raising back up again would get them. The patrons are looking down, not up (in most cases). You asked for some non cliche, there you go. But as Dr Giggles mentioned previously, the actor makes ANY scene... if it's in their blood LOL.

Tom

Originally posted by Floor8Horror View Post
                        I want to have a graveyard as part of my haunt because it is such an easy "room" to build. But just a graveyard is not very scary. I first thought of having an actor jump from behind a grave but this is very cliche, I need NEW, fresh ideas. How can I use actors and such to make a graveyard scary in a NEW way? Any ideas would be great.
                        Tom
                        Creator of the Dungeon
                        WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Cool idea, Tom! My natural impulse is always to look down, to try to read the words on the tombstones... I'm definitely not looking at the ceiling.

-Todd

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          You say an easy room to build? Not if you want it effective. Set the scene with fog and moss hanging from the ceiling. Of course the tomb stones, lighting and music. But then have a platform attached to the ceiling for an actor to lower and grab at the patrons. Just bending down at them and raising back up again would get them. The patrons are looking down, not up (in most cases). You asked for some non cliche, there you go. But as Dr Giggles mentioned previously, the actor makes ANY scene... if it's in their blood LOL.

Tom

Comment

I have decided

I think we are going to set up just the front of a crypt to help "set" the scene and because we already have the front of a crypt build. IN one part of the graveyard very close to where the patrons walk we are going to set up a funeral scene. We are going to have a priest, casket, and a gathering of people mourning. All fake. Then on the other side (we are hoping to distract the patrons very good with the funeral scene) we are going to have a scarer "break" from a grave and scare the patrons. I just hope that they get distracted by the funeral scene enough to get them good. Thanks for all the ideas.
                            Mr. Horror
                            The Eighth Floor of Hell

Comment

drop down window/picture

Sounds good. And what if you put in a drop down window/picture in one of those scenes that an actor could pull down and reach out at the patrons. We have 2 of those types scares and it works every time. Maybe have an old picture of someone in the funeral room and as the actor pulls down the picture and reaches out, it scares them to the graveyard and get them again?
                              Just a thought.
                              Tom

Originally posted by Floor8Horror View Post
                              I think we are going to set up just the front of a crypt to help "set" the scene and because we already have the front of a crypt build. IN one part of the graveyard very close to where the patrons walk we are going to set up a funeral scene. We are going to have a priest, casket, and a gathering of people mourning. All fake. Then on the other side (we are hoping to distract the patrons very good with the funeral scene) we are going to have a scarer "break" from a grave and scare the patrons. I just hope that they get distracted by the funeral scene enough to get them good. Thanks for all the ideas.
                              Tom
                              Creator of the Dungeon
                              WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X