Projectors and Showing Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lcox View Post
    Also if we wanted to play an old horror flick like Frankenstein or something, I think we need to get permission or buy rights to do that. Does anyone know the best way about doing this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Lucas Cox
    Here is a list of the "Top 10" public domain horror movies:

http://listverse.com/2007/10/31/top-...horror-movies/

Comment

Thanks

Thanks again. That projector i mentioned is righteous. It puts a picture on the side of our barn 30' square? something like that. Even on the red paint it looks pretty good. We ended up using white shade cloth stretched between 16" 4x4s braced. It looks solid. I am thinking about doing a film festival next year. Thanks again.
      Lucas Cox
      Cox Farms
      www.Fieldsoffear.com

Comment

Originally posted by terrormasue View Post
        As for showing old movies I think it is very legal. You are not "charging" people to watch the movie. In reality the movie is free the haunt is what you are charging for.
        I would get some sound legal advice on that. I don't believe the distinction is made that you are making money from the movie. You are making money off the event and the movie is part of the event; therefore you are making money off the movie. Bars that are having trouble getting their liquor license will sometimes open early and get around the legal requirements by charging for the cup and giving out free beer. The authorities are not amused, and are not impressed by the creativity.

I just popped a DVD in and the FBI warning at the beginning states: "Any use or exhibition of this video other than non-commercial home viewing is prohibited."

No, they probably don't enforce this very often that I've ever heard. But they could.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck weber View Post
          should be considered "public domain", which means they are probably over 20 years old and can be used by anybody for any reason without breaking the law. (others hopefully will reply to this post to correct me if I'm wrong) But, that's the word I got a few years ago. Good Luck with your haunt.... Chuck

It is not 20 years,
          for works created after 1978, it is date of the creators death+70 years.
          for works created from 1964-1977 they are covered for 95 years
          for works created from 1923-1964 they had to be renewed within 28 years of publication, and if so, are covered for an additional 95 years.
          The majority of works created before 1923 are in the public domain.

There are at least a dozen or more horror movies in the public domain, google will help you find a bunch.

Comment

Working...
          X